Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an Ultimate tall boy seat on my 2017 Springfield. Nice seat, but now my reach to the handlebars is a little further than would be comfortable on a long ride. I cannot find a reduced reach handlebar for the 2017. Anyone know of one?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Any options for risers to adjust the reach of the handlebars, too? I put some on my Honda I had and it was perfect. I don't know if it was really necessary my test ride was only like 4 miles on my Roadmaster, but I had the dealer put on extended handlebars. It's nice and relaxing with the throttle boss tabs I put on the grips too. Tried to google a pic of the handlebars, and if that chrome cover is over them, I'm not sure how it would be. But an option maybe?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any options for risers to adjust the reach of the handlebars, too? I put some on my Honda I had and it was perfect. I don't know if it was really necessary my test ride was only like 4 miles on my Roadmaster, but I had the dealer put on extended handlebars. It's nice and relaxing with the throttle boss tabs I put on the grips too. Tried to google a pic of the handlebars, and if that chrome cover is over them, I'm not sure how it would be. But an option maybe?
I looked into risers. It seems that risers won't work with the Springfield without major mods. Extended handlebars ? Is that the same as reduced reach ? There do not seem to be any for the 2016 & 2017 Springfield.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would guess extended handlebars and reduced reach are the same thing. They extend, to reduce your reach. I had them put some extended ones on my RM. No idea if they'd fit on a Springfield, but if the bar diameter is the same and I guess it could be possible it could work if they clamp down on some kind of riser or whatever the attachment point is? But I guess you'd have to account for everything else, grips, levers etc. being able to mount up. I wish I knew more about Springfields to be able to think of some ideas to try and help. There's no way to loosen the current handlebars in their risers, and adjust it up or down to see if it changes your comfort at all?

Reactions: hunter56

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would guess extended handlebars and reduced reach are the same thing. They extend, to reduce your reach. I had them put some extended ones on my RM. No idea if they'd fit on a Springfield, but if the bar diameter is the same and I guess it could be possible it could work if they clamp down on some kind of riser or whatever the attachment point is? But I guess you'd have to account for everything else, grips, levers etc. being able to mount up. I wish I knew more about Springfields to be able to think of some ideas to try and help. There's no way to loosen the current handlebars in their risers, and adjust it up or down to see if it changes your comfort at all?
I've seen comments about being able to move up/down a total of 2 inches. I like em where they are height wise. I want them back towards the rider.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well it would be unfortunate if there really is nothing out there to try and replace the stock ones with. If that is the case, you may have to get creative to make your own risers some how. Or have some welded up maybe in a shop. I suppose the chrome cover on the big headlight would need some work, or whatever I don't know. But there has to be a way to get them how you want them!

Having spent a little while searching now on google and other handlebar riser sites and stuff to try to get some ideas, the pivoting handlebar "riser" may be something that could possibly work. It doesn't look bike specific and you may have to search for a distance you want the handlebars closer to you, too. But these look like you could install them to the stock risers, and then have them however much closer to you since you like the height that they are at now. Or find a riser that will also bring them closer that isn't too tall, and adjust the bars down to your comfort level as well as adjusting the handlebar controls if necessary, too. But having said all that I was trying to find some Springfield headlight removal videos and stuff and found one from a Indian owner on YT, but not much about taking the cover off that is closest to the rider and covers the handlebars. So if you used some aftermarket riser or extension, I'm guessing that chrome cover won't go on and I don't know if it's integral to hold the headlight bucket on etc. But food for thought if you can get something to work and not care about that chrome cover being there to make the handlebars how you want. Just have to find the right diameter for the bars and how much closer you want them. Whew!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked into risers. It seems that risers won't work with the Springfield without major mods. Extended handlebars ? Is that the same as reduced reach ? There do not seem to be any for the 2016 & 2017 Springfield.
I looked into risers for my 17 Springfield. Would be nice but I'd have to have custom cuts made to the top of the nacelle. I haven't looked into that yet. I put 4" risers on my 99 Vulcan Classic and they worked well. My Indian dealer here in Mi found a dealer in CA that had what they say was the last set of reduced reach handlebars for the 14-17 models available in the states. They are no longer in production. I snatched them up without a thought and just prayed FedEx didn't lose them! I just received them today. I haven't installed them yet, though I took some measurements. They have about a 2" longer rise but they are about 2" wider at the grips. Also, the grip doesn't have as much downward angle to them either. To be honest, I don't know if I'll gain a thing since my reach will be farther out and knuckles turned up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked into risers for my 17 Springfield. Would be nice but I'd have to have custom cuts made to the top of the nacelle. I haven't looked into that yet. I put 4" risers on my 99 Vulcan Classic and they worked well. My Indian dealer here in Mi found a dealer in CA that had what they say was the last set of reduced reach handlebars for the 14-17 models available in the states. They are no longer in production. I snatched them up without a thought and just prayed FedEx didn't lose them! I just received them today. I haven't installed them yet, though I took some measurements. They have about a 2" longer rise but they are about 2" wider at the grips. Also, the grip doesn't have as much downward angle to them either. To be honest, I don't know if I'll gain a thing since my reach will be farther out and knuckles turned up.
Let me know - I am jealous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me know - I am jealous.
I let you know. May be a minute before I get them installed. Had hand surgery yesterday and I'm wearing a mitten! I tried a set from a 16 Roadmaster but that didn't get me where I wanted. A touch more rise but wider. Pulling that Nacelle apart wasn't fun. Easier the second time when I put the stock ones back on. Have you tried moving them up or down? Moving the stock bars down helped me a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So if you used some aftermarket riser or extension, I'm guessing that chrome cover won't go on and I don't know if it's integral to hold the headlight bucket on etc. But food for thought if you can get something to work and not care about that chrome cover being there to make the handlebars how you want. Just have to find the right diameter for the bars and how much closer you want them. Whew!

[/QUOTE]

The bars are 1 1/4". That chrome (nacelle) is two piece, front and back. The half closest to the tank holds the switch for the light bar and covers a multitude of ugliness (wire harnesses, light bracket, connections, etc...) The front is obviously the headlight. The only way to get risers in there would be to cut holes in the top. Keeping the two M5 screws that help hold the front and back together, the new risers would have to be tall enough to clear the top of the nacelle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if you used some aftermarket riser or extension, I'm guessing that chrome cover won't go on and I don't know if it's integral to hold the headlight bucket on etc. But food for thought if you can get something to work and not care about that chrome cover being there to make the handlebars how you want. Just have to find the right diameter for the bars and how much closer you want them. Whew!

The bars are 1 1/4". That chrome (nacelle) is two piece, front and back. The half closest to the tank holds the switch for the light bar and covers a multitude of ugliness (wire harnesses, light bracket, connections, etc...) The front is obviously the headlight. The only way to get risers in there would be to cut holes in the top. Keeping the two M5 screws that help hold the front and back together, the new risers would have to be tall enough to clear the top of the nacelle.
[/QUOTE]
Ya - no. I won't be chopping the Nacelle. If you don't like the reduced reach bar you just got, let me know.

·
Registered
2017 Springfield
45 Posts
Actually they are completely opposite. Look up reduced and extended reach seats. Extended is for taller riders, reduced for shorter. I had reduced reach seat,handlebar and foot controls on my scout.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had this same issue after installing my modified Roadmaster seat by Russel Day Long on my springfield. You can rotate the bars up but they don't get any closer to you, I ended up going with the 16" apes and they aren't bad. There are a very limited number of companies that make bars for our bikes, but I did see a guy that bought a set of bars that were made for a Road Glide and he was able to modify the bar ends to work with his Springfield. I just remember his Springfield was green and the bars came back before going up.

Oh and although risers would be a super easy fix, until somebody makes one that is halfway good looking and can go around the nacelle we're screwed.

Reactions: hunter56

·
Registered
2017 Springfield
45 Posts
I put an Ultimate tall boy seat on my 2017 Springfield. Nice seat, but now my reach to the handlebars is a little further than would be comfortable on a long ride. I cannot find a reduced reach handlebar for the 2017. Anyone know of one?
Just went through the same struggle, Indian of Racine, WI had a couple and I bought one, so maybe check them out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts