Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Custom Options section on the Indian website shows Reduced Reach Accessories, which includes "Reduced Reach Seat, controls, and handlebars provide comfortable seating and customized ergonomics for shorter riders and riders who would feel more comfortable and confident when seated closer to the foot pegs and lower controls."

Does anyone have any more information about this? I'd be interested to see what foot pegs/lower controls option is available - I really do not like feet-forward controls.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think that means that the Indian will be customizable for shorter and taller riders. I don't think that you will get mid-controls, I think the forward controls will just be a little closer to the seat, and the seat will hold you a little further forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that means that the Indian will be customizable for shorter and taller riders. I don't think that you will get mid-controls, I think the forward controls will just be a little closer to the seat, and the seat will hold you a little further forward.
I don't know. After reading the Motorcycle.com first ride review I got the impression that at the very least mid-controls might be available. The factory demo truck will be at my local dealer next Tuesday - I hope there will be a Scout to test ride and maybe somebody with some good info too. At any rate, I won't be a serious potential buyer until ABS is available.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The factory demo truck will be at my local dealer next Tuesday - I hope there will be a Scout to test ride and maybe somebody with some good info too. At any rate, I won't be a serious potential buyer until ABS is available.
Let us know what you learn at the Demo event! I am anxious to hear! Polaris is really good about offering a lot of really good accessories for their products.

I think ABS will be coming, but not for another year or two. They kept it off of this bike to keep the cost down I am sure. They are trying to break into a market that is OWNED by HD, so they have to keep that initial investment to get buyers to opt for Indian over HD.

They are taking it DIRECTLY to HD by stating HP numbers (something that HD does not do); besting the biggest HD motor you can get, 110 cubic inches, by literally 1 inch with the 111; and offering water cooled engines in their "entry level" Scout.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was told yesterday by my dealer in Sydney (Australia) that the Australian bikes will come with ABS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that the "reduced reach" controls are now shown on the Indian website in the accessories area: Reduced Reach Controls | Indian Motorcycle Store

So, not only are the controls only 2" closer, but Indian would charge me a $150 + installation penalty for being vertically challenged. If I also wanted the "reduced reach" seat - another $250! So to summarize: no ABS, no upright riding position, peanut-sized gas tank. Enjoy your Scouts - I admire the looks and the motor, but not the functionality. I'm outta here.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was told yesterday by my dealer in Sydney (Australia) that the Australian bikes will come with ABS.
Is that a law in Oz? I wish they would do that here in the states. Though at the price they charge for options (don't get me started on the saddlebags) they'd probably want $5K for them! Option prices are the only complaint I have with Polaris. Almost $1,200 US Dollars for their saddle bags???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Being a short fellow (5"4") with 26" Inseams, I had to indulge in putting on the reduced reach foot pegs/shifter + seat to make it possible to ride the Scout. However, it still felt uncomfortable as I found myself still having to lean forward causing my shoulders and neck to become sore on longer rides.

Took the plunge again to install the reduced reach handlebars. Glad to say with all that $$$
spent, the bike fits me like a "T" now. Happy camper! :)

·
Bronze member
2,404 Posts
Being a short fellow (5"4") with 26" Inseams, I had to indulge in putting on the reduced reach foot pegs/shifter + seat to make it possible to ride the Scout. However, it still felt uncomfortable as I found myself still having to lean forward causing my shoulders and neck to become sore on longer rides.

Took the plunge again to install the reduced reach handlebars. Glad to say with all that $$$
spent, the bike fits me like a "T" now. Happy camper! :)
How much further back did the reduced reach bars let you sit (or was it just that you are now upright vs leaning?)?

·
Registered
101 Posts
How much further back did the reduced reach bars let you sit (or was it just that you are now upright vs leaning?)?
Actually the desired result was a combination of all 3 component; each component moved the position by approximately 2".

I approached the issue by installing the reduced reach shifter first (as I could not even rest or nor shift properly without it on the standard seat). Followed by the reduced reach seat which moved me closer to the shifter (now my feet rests on the pegs correctly and I even got a properly bent knee).

Initially took delivery of the bike with just this 2 components, but found myself leaning forward a bit too much and that caused my neck and shoulder to hurt on longer rides (45 minutes to an hour at a time).

Next, I had the dealer installed the reduced reach handlebars and voila! I was sitting more upright in a natural and relaxed position and arms properly extended with no stress nor pain. I could cruise all day with no problems.:);)

The reduced handlebars will not allow you to sit further back; it just allows you to sit more upright.
If you need to sit further back, you need to try the extended reach seat and maybe also add the reduced handlebar to allow you to take the proper sitting and achieve a comfortable position for your back and arms.

Hope this helps you and others contemplating these mods.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the explanation...I find I'm ok with foot controls and am thinking about ordering a Corbin, however my lean to reach the handlebars cause my jacket to rub my tank. I'm stressed about scratching it all to heck. I was thinking about mini apes but really I just want to sit a bit more upright as I find that most comfortable. Looks like I just might be adding the reached reach :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the explanation...I find I'm ok with foot controls and am thinking about ordering a Corbin, however my lean to reach the handlebars cause my jacket to rub my tank. I'm stressed about scratching it all to heck. I was thinking about mini apes but really I just want to sit a bit more upright as I find that most comfortable. Looks like I just might be adding the reached reach :)
You might try what I did, installed 1 1/2" risers from Indianaftermarket. With the extra rise, I could tilt the bars closer to me which made a difference, at least for me, and a lot easier than changing handlebars.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
You are getting good advice here Buddy, from the guys. Myself, I tried all three seats, reduced reach bars, forward controls and still was not comfortable for the long ride. In the end I fitted a set of Helibars and now I can, or could ride all day, if I had the bike. Hopefully getting it back Friday ( YES!) the point I would make however is that we are all different weights and shapes and what fits one will not fit another, so my suggestion to you is take your time to sort it out. Yes, it may cost only to find something didn't work but you can always sell those bits later.
Alpal

·
Registered
146 Posts
I needed the reduced reach seat and it moved me close enough that the handle bars felt comfortable. But after getting used to the scout I bought and had the reduced reach foot brackets put on and now after 100 miles the whole ride feels much better. The reduced reach foot control parts consists of a new shift link and 2 brackets.
The brackets moved the scouts foot controls back about 2"and out about 2" which at first doesn't seem like much but it made a big difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I needed the reduced reach seat and it moved me close enough that the handle bars felt comfortable. But after getting used to the scout I bought and had the reduced reach foot brackets put on and now after 100 miles the whole ride feels much better. The reduced reach foot control parts consists of a new shift link and 2 brackets.
The brackets moved the scouts foot controls back about 2"and out about 2" which at first doesn't seem like much but it made a big difference.
Suggest you have someone take your photo on the bike while you assume your normal riding position
(bike stationary and upright, of course).If your back or shoulders is arched forward, perhaps you will benefit from a reduced reach handlebar.

That's how I did it and went for the reduced reach handlebar which it made riding the bike a lot more pleasant! You can fine tune the handlebars by raising or lowering it too. ;) Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought mine with the reduced reach foot controls and reduced reach seat. Instead of the reduced reach bars I got the mini ape hangers, and tilted them back just a touch (the angle roughly matches the rake of the fork). My dealership still gave me the original seat, so I tried putting it back on... and in hindsight, I think I only actually needed the foot controls moved back. The mini apes make it super comfy. I'm 5'2 btw.

I'm considering a Corbin now too - I actually like the stock seat and find it quite comfy, but I want a sissy bar and the Indian sissy bar by itself is more expensive than the Corbin seat with a sissy bar.

My $0.02: Get the foot controls and try the bike that way. Then you can pick up or adjust the other components as needed. I ended paying an extra $600 CAD (ish) for a reduced reach seat and passenger pillion, and might be looking to get rid of both of those parts. The foot controls made all the difference in the world for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Reduced reach foot controls bring the feet back towards the rider yes?? Not sure that's the way I want to go, I like the forward controls as that's what I came from with my Vulcan. I don't want to sit closer to the tank as with OEM I already feel like I'm sitting on the up curve of the seat and it kills my tailbone after about 40 minutes, tried moving forward which didn't feel right either.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much I'm having to do to fit this bike...for my Vulcan all I needed was 2" risers and I was upright and happy lol. But I wanted an Indian...cuz it's an Indian and I'm loving it nonetheless lol :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well as they say, "different strokes for different folks". ;)

Indian hit the nail on the head by making different options available to customize fit.

When you have the bike done to fit you, longer rides are so much more fun. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts