Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rider
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before probably at nauseum but why red Loctite on a shifter peg? [wtf] [banghead][banghead]

Luckily I had my butane torch to heat it up and remove it with a strap wrench. Sure as Sh!t, RED LOCTITE!

The reason I knew this was because of googling and this forum.

WTH is Indian/Polaris using red Loctite on a shifter peg? Does anyone know the reason? [wtf]

I don't recall the new peg instructions saying any Loctite whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I am glad you posted this. I ran into the same issue last week when installing a new spear foot peg on my wife's CDH. Almost tore off the rubber coating on the peg before I decided to bring in the heat gun. 5 minutes with heat and it turned. Red Loctite.

I did not find red on my 2017 RM when I changed it's peg.

I put blue Loctite on everything on my bikes. Too much stuff works loose. Indian or HD.

Reactions: dieselgman

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
WTH is Indian/Polaris using red Loctite on a shifter peg? Does anyone know the reason? [wtf]

I don't recall the new peg instructions saying any Loctite whatsoever.
It's a trick they learned from Harley, they don't want it to fall off going down the road and be sued by a guy in a minivan.

·
Rider
810 Posts
Wait until you try to take the handlebar grip off the left side of a 2019 111. I had to use a hammer and a standard screwdriver to break it loose.

·
Rider
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait until you try to take the handlebar grip off the left side of a 2019 111. I had to use a hammer and a standard screwdriver to break it loose.
Great! That is my next swap to do. Waiting on the grips to arrive. I am sure they glue the left one on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Boa strap wrench is what you need for grip removal
This is what I use in the dealership - no damage and can re-use the grip on new bars

·
Rider
810 Posts
ScottishMasterTech

We are way beyond strap wrenches , I shot blaster down it , let it sit and put a pipe wrench on it and peeled a little rubber off the grip. I had to cut it with a box knife and peel it open , then chisel it off. This is beyond " normal".

·
Registered
591 Posts
I lucked out mine didn't have the red loctite

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Blue Blue Blue will always get it done never red unless tightening a compensator nut lol then Red Red Red !

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great! That is my next swap to do. Waiting on the grips to arrive. I am sure they glue the left one on.
Not looking forward to changing out that left hand grip. Hope your experience will be different. Looking at purchasing some grips.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Did you remove the set screw first? Just asking.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I think the Gilroy Engineer was involved in the red Loctite.....lol.......if you've been around long enough you'll understand......lol........those guys used Red Loctite on everything.....anyone who has owned a Gilroy knows how to get things loose that have been glued together with Red Loctite.....

·
Bronze member
2,669 Posts
Blue is for normal nut and bolt applications that may or maynot be removed periodically.RED is used for applications that are NOT removed periodically or not supposed to be removed at all.Do NOT use RED unless ya do NOT want something to come apart again,as you guys have discovered.lol I know a guy who put RED loctite on spark plugs then screwed em into an aluminum head application on a Ford truck.When he told me what he had done,I went up one side of him and down the other for being so frigin stupid.Why?? Because the next time some one attempts to change em,the threads in the head are gonna come out with the plugs.And if the heads were iron,there's a good chance that the theaded part of said plug will break off in the head.So never,NEVER use RED loctite on anything unless you do NOT want it to come apart again. And if you do use blue or red loctite on any application, always,"ALWAYS" use it very "SPARINGLY"!!! .

Regarding spark plugs,always use copper never seize on the threads because the next guy that changes em just might be you!!!

·
Rider
810 Posts
Did you remove the set screw first? Just asking.
Starting with the 2018 switches , there is no screw holding the left handle grip on. You must completely take the outer and inner switch assembly apart to insert the grip in a keyed cutout and reassemble , with new adhesive , but you already knew that didn't you.

·
Rider
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boa strap wrench is what you need for grip removal
This is what I use in the dealership - no damage and can re-use the grip on new bars
Good to know. Thanks. I have a few good strap wrenches so hopefully it will come right off when I get to it.

I still cannot believe that they use red Loctite at the factory for the shifter peg. Must be a running joke to F with the customer when they want to just switch out to a new peg. I wonder how many have taken it back to the dealership to get the shift peg swapped out.

·
Rider
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blue is for normal nut and bolt applications that may or maynot be removed periodically.RED is used for applications that are NOT removed periodically or not supposed to be removed at all.Do NOT use RED unless ya do NOT want something to come apart again,as you guys have discovered.lol I know a guy who put RED loctite on spark plugs then screwed em into an aluminum head application on a Ford truck.When he told me what he had done,I went up one side of him and down the other for being so frigin stupid.Why?? Because the next time some one attempts to change em,the threads in the head are gonna come out with the plugs.And if the heads were iron,there's a good chance that the theaded part of said plug will break off in the head.So never,NEVER use RED loctite on anything unless you do NOT want it to come apart again. And if you do use blue or red loctite on any application, always,"ALWAYS" use it very "SPARINGLY"!!! .

Regarding spark plugs,always use copper never seize on the threads because the next guy that changes em just might be you!!!
Just to be clear. I did not use red Loctite on the shifter peg. The Factory did. I definitely know not to use red Loctite on spark plugs. A person that does that has no business being around anything mechanical.

It seems that most are not reading my OP. Not just you. My question was: "Why is Indian/Polaris using RED LOCTITE on a shifter peg?". As I stated in my OP that I used a butane torch to heat up the RED LOCTITE to get the peg to come off.

Let me tell you that the FACTORY did not use the RED LOCTITE SPARINGLY!

·
Rider
396 Posts
Try compressed air to loosen them usually breaks them loose. if not try a little nail polish remover at the top to help.

·
Rider
810 Posts
Try compressed air to loosen them usually breaks them loose. if not try a little nail polish remover at the top to help.
Everything you say is proven , this is something new Indian is doing on the 2019's , even the dealers are pulling their hair out , when somebody wants to change bars they have to buy the left grip.

I think Indian is trying to discourage owners from buying aftermarket parts and installing them at home. If you can't get it apart you'll take it to the shop $ and buy oem accessories.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts