Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was headed to Joplin on I44 yesterday and met a red Chieftain headed West.
You can't miss that distinctive fairing, sure looked nice!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We saw a couple heading west through Arkansas on 40, Thursday. They must be riding them home from the dealer.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Magazine:

If one was a black Chieftain in the late afternoon early evening. It was probably me. I took it to Gregory Polaris for the first service. Left around four headed back to Oklahoma. Put 770 plus miles on her that day. A good ride. Great folks at Gregory Polaris.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm heading up Sunday, e setter! Tell us about your Chieftain, Man. Anything to watch for? How does it fit you? Did you get stage 1? Details! Lol. Ride safe and enjoy.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18917 said:
Magazine:

If one was a black Chieftain in the late afternoon early evening. It was probably me. I took it to Gregory Polaris for the first service. Left around four headed back to Oklahoma. Put 770 plus miles on her that day. A good ride. Great folks at Gregory Polaris.

YES! congrats on the bike. I actually did not see you but my dad did. I spotted a blue Vintage about 30 minutes or so earlier heading West as well.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18917 said:
Magazine:

Will be looking for rider's reports from you.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put 770 miles on her on Thursday. I left the OKC area at 4 AM. A cold morning to start out. Stopped at Fort Smith Ar to warm up at Cracker Barrel and have breakfast with my bride. Arrived at Jacsonville AR around 10 AM. The wonderful folks at Gregory Polaris did the 500 mile service. The cost was very reasonable. Less than half what others have posted. I met several people eyeing and considering an Indian. I also watched a Vintage be delivered to an interesting man in Texas. Very good conversations with all.

We left Jacksonville around 4PM and got home about 9:30. The bike now has 1000 miles. The only issue was the headlight needed a slight adjustment. The techs checked the bike out. A belt adjustment and oil change was all she needed. They even ran a computer diagnostic.

I am no longer a spring chicken and my frog ass was feeling the last 150 miles. But it was a real pleasure to ride for the day. For me 800-900 miles is about the maximum these days. doesn't matter if it is my Crossroads LE or Indian Chieftain.

One surprise is the Chieftain seems to handle slightly better than the Crossroads. Maybe it is it my head. But my humble opinion.

So to sum up my early impressions. Chieftain is one hell of a bike. Gregory Polaris is one hell of a dealer. Probably the best I have ever worked with. Integrity is hard to find these days. Indian and Gregory Polaris has my respect.

P.S. My Chieftain has stage 1.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, e setter. I am right with you on Gregory Polaris being a great dealership and hope to feel as you do about Chieftains. :). I rode two in Sturgis, not sure if either had stage 1, and loved the power. I'm going without the stage 1 to start. I don't want a louder sound and if the power is the same as I had in Sturgis I'll be a happy camper. I'm 6'1' with a 34' inseam and on the short test rides the ergonomics felt fine but I've read a few say it seemed a bit cramped. Hopefully that's just in comparisons to Visions.

Heading up tomorrow!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18595 said:
Thanks, e setter. I am right with you on Gregory Polaris being a great dealership and hope to feel as you do about Chieftains. :). I rode two in Sturgis, not sure if either had stage 1, and loved the power. I'm going without the stage 1 to start. I don't want a louder sound and if the power is the same as I had in Sturgis I'll be a happy camper. I'm 6'1' with a 34' inseam and on the short test rides the ergonomics felt fine but I've read a few say it seemed a bit cramped. Hopefully that's just in comparisons to Visions. Heading up tomorrow!

You will find your knees ride a bit higher on the Indians. That is due to the lowered saddle. When you crack the throttle, it gives the feeling you are an integral part of the machine. Not the bike is trying to toss you off. It is similar to an old Indian I had the priveledge to ride years ago when I lived in California. A very good friend trusted me on his 40's Indian for an afternoon. I suspect this may be the issue with some riders. It can be a different feel. I suspect highway pegs would resolve their concerns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts