Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently removed my cat and punched the plugs from the stock mufflers. I got a good tune program form Fuel Moto and its running great. The only thing I'm not completely pleased with is the tinny sound from the punched out mufflers. I'd like to install some slip-on replacements without breaking the bank that will provide a more mellow throaty sound. Suggestions?...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been very happy with my mufflers from American Custom (american custom.com). $199 if you send them your mufflers, $299 if they supply them. You keep the stock look with a much better sound.

·
Rider
620 Posts
What's the price point that breaks the bank? I have a full list of what you might like but I'm not going to recommend Rineharts if 700 dollars is too much for you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just got a set of Rineharts for $585. They sound WAY better and louder than the American Customs. They aren’t obnoxiously loud but just loud enough not to compete with your stereo. I just sold a set of the AC pipes. They sound okay at idle but awful quite at highway speeds. It makes your bike sound like an old police bike. JMHO

·
Rider
620 Posts
I just got a set of Rineharts for $585. They sound WAY better and louder than the American Customs. They aren’t obnoxiously loud but just load enough not to compete with your stereo. I just sold a set of the AC pipes. They sound okay at idle but awful quite at highway speeds. It makes your bike sound like an old police bike. JMHO
Yep, of all the mufflers, Rineharts and Rush Warhorse sound the best to me. They RUMBLE.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Been thinking about the same. I had the stage 1 done to mine. But it's just not loud enough for my liking yet. I'd like to consider some slip ons. Seem some videos on YT of some V&H that sound ok. The TAB exhaust has been recommended. And the Zombie baffles sound great to me.

·
Rider
1,582 Posts
So through my last few months I listened to Rush, Rinehart and RCX . I pulled the trigger on the RCX and ordered them on 6/19/20. The reason I went with those is no tiny sound a little louder than Stage 1 but won’t make you deaf, no more cold start ping and tinny noise and finally through a home stereo they sound pretty deep. My dealership is an hour one way and I don’t feel like the drive / ride to listen to them. When I bought the bike they suggested the RCX over the Vance and Hines I put on but gave me a hella of deal so I went with them instead.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I have Reinhart's and like them very much on my Indian 116. I had V&H on my HD big ovals and liked them on the HD.

·
Rider
1,582 Posts
After I got my RCX they didn’t sound like what I heard at first over the stereo and is breaking in after a hundred miles or so to more of a sound that I had found while searching. Like others have said best bet is to go a Indian or even Harley dealership to get an idea. And yes on some slip ons a decatted head pipe does change the volume and sound a little bit.

·
Bronze member
2,704 Posts
"TInny" is the standard description of the sound from a decatted stock header. And has nothing to do with the slipons.

Apparently, the "Tinny" noise from the decatted header subsides somewhat when the engine is at full op temp.

·
Rider
1,582 Posts
I’m asking a legit question not being smart assed here....I have a decatted stock headpipe. Why did my cold start ping and any tiny sounds go away when I changed from Vance and Hines to the RCX? The exhaust isn’t loud enough to cover or mask the the sound it’s totally gone.

·
Bronze member
2,704 Posts
I'm just reporting what we know. If you decat your stock header, you should expect to gain a "Tinny" sound.
And that's all I know about that..

Reactions: Indian-Corey

·
Rider
1,582 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with resonance, scavenging and or back pressure ( a combination of above ). Because it was coming from the crossover.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My son has Vance and Hines turn downs.. nice pipes sound good...

I just picked up a stock 16 Springfield. I am going with the Samson 31.5 Long Tails.. will let you know how they turn out... about $550 to the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts