Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half and I will be in Minneapolis and Rochester in May for graduation. Flying into Minneapolis, then the next day we have to be in Rochester for two days then back to Minneapolis. Rental cars are ridiculous, especially these days at the airport(s). While in Minneapolis we are fine w/ staying near or in town and using their system, bus, rail Uber, etc. Then we need to get to Rochester, is that rail decent and or safe enough? We don't mind renting a car in Rochester for the day or two, as she needs to be sure to get around in case of last-minute graduation needs etc and not have to depend on Uber, bus, rail shuttle, etc. Any tips, suggestions on which systems to use or not use while in those 2 cities? Thanks in advance. I am posting way in advance as I know these threads aren't as active. We already have flights and plan to book motels the next week or so.
Thx Kevin

·
Registered
272 Posts
My better half and I will be in Minneapolis and Rochester in May for graduation. Flying into Minneapolis, then the next day we have to be in Rochester for two days then back to Minneapolis. Rental cars are ridiculous, especially these days at the airport(s). While in Minneapolis we are fine w/ staying near or in town and using their system, bus, rail Uber, etc. Then we need to get to Rochester, is that rail decent and or safe enough? We don't mind renting a car in Rochester for the day or two, as she needs to be sure to get around in case of last-minute graduation needs etc and not have to depend on Uber, bus, rail shuttle, etc. Any tips, suggestions on which systems to use or not use while in those 2 cities? Thanks in advance. I am posting way in advance as I know these threads aren't as active. We already have flights and plan to book motels the next week or so.
Thx Kevin
I don't live in the Twin Cities any more, but I still go there to visit family. MSP, for it's size, has pretty good public transportation. Bus service is pretty thorough, and the train(Called 'light rail"there) is great, going from the airport North and South, but there is no rail service to Rochester. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't depend on them. With all that said, I would still rent a car. Yes, the rates are higher than compared to a lot of other places, but Rochester is an easy drive from MSP. From the airport, 494 East to Hwy 52 South to Rochester. Most rental agencies are on airport grounds(Though you might have to rail shuttle between terminals to get there). At least it won't be winter(Probably).

·
Bronze member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

·
Rider
944 Posts
Greyhound is located in downtown Minneapolis, also Jefferson, Amtrac that runs from Saint Paul does not make it to Rochester but the closest stop is a 1-hour shuttle away. You could also search out a puddle jumper from MSP or Saint Paul international airport to Rochester.

·
Rider
944 Posts
My wife flew to Fort Myers Florida and looked at taxis to Naples and found the prices too expensive. So she called a limo service and ordered a town car for $41 not sure you would be able to find such a deal in Minnesota but it's a thought.

·
Bronze member
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. So far it looks like when we fly into MSP, we will stay near town or airport and use the different systems while there, and either rent a car for the 2 days needed for Rochester. There is a Grrom shuttle service like one we have used in Macon Ga to Atlanta a few times, but the MSP Groom doesn't get as good reviews. So we will double check a few options and then most likely get a car for the Rochester days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts