Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just got back in after visiting some of my old friends in the Lawn and Garden and Rental Equipment Business I was in 15 years ago. Wow all of them are telling me their businesses have slowed down and even to the point many are calling each other to see how they are doing compared to them. And on the Rental side the big contractors are still on big jobs they got last year but the phone has stopped ringing and nothing at this time for future work.

Reactions: vettejack

·
Rider
1,659 Posts
Tech jobs (computing, networking, coding) Business and Finance. Take your pick. Where ever one might find their best opportunity. Opportunity is different for everyone.

Good on ya for doing what you did for yourself and your family. No argument from me.
And if that's what the majority of college majors were majoring in, we probably wouldn't have the debt crisis that we have now.

Sadly, a large number BS holders have degrees in areas that will never generate that level of income. And I have no interest in paying for their foolishness.

·
Bronze member
3,340 Posts
Since the 70’s till now tuition has increased north of 160%. Earnings for 22 -27 year olds has increased 19%. Most good jobs require a college degree. Is it really a choice anymore for someone who wants to improve their station in life to not get a degree? Are the American young not worth the investment? Anecdotal evidence from decades ago can not be applied to today.
Instead of looking to taxpayers to subsidize inefficient and bloated universities, you ire is better spent lobbying for education reform.

·
Bronze Member
1,873 Posts
I have always thought that colleges and universities need to be more transparent when it comes to job placement. Some starry-eyed kid shows up at college admissions and they tell them about some graduate who got a job at a fortune 500 company starting at $80k plus. They need to tell the entire story and be realistic about it. Last year, out of X number of graduates from the program that you are wanting to take. Y number of them got a job in the field that they were studying with an overall average starting salary of Z. When they start seeing that out of 168 Bachelor of Science art majors who graduated last year, 6 of them now have a job in their field and are averaging $27k, it will open some of their eyes and make them rethink their choices. Following your passions probably won't pay the bills, no matter how much you love doing it.

·
Rider
1,659 Posts
Instead of looking to taxpayers to subsidize inefficient and bloated universities, you ire is better spent lobbying for education reform.
I don't disagree, but outside of Silicon Valley, not many of us have the wherewithal to go up against the Education-Industrial Complex. And, they like things just the way they are.

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Registered
2 Posts
A crisis is, of course, not very pleasant, and if there really were more university graduates, and most importantly, if they did not emotionally choose their specialty, then it would be easier to survive such periods. I wrote an essay on environmental conservation, if you are interested, you can read it here why not find out more I came to the conclusion that all our fellow citizens make amazing mistakes. Both with environmental protection and with the financial system. We create problems for ourselves. After all, just as you can avoid global warming, you can also prepare yourself for crises in the economy that occur once every 10-15 years, but for some reason we do not do this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It seems that the recession is getting closer, and I invested everything the day before in the S&P 500, now I have to wait out the market collapse (((
Remember HaroldM that bear markets are always shorter than bull markets. The cure for high prices is high prices, demand then slows and adjusts accordingly. I believe the S&P 500 will be higher and at 5000 by year end. Fear always spreads faster than optimism, but it also has a shorter life ! Ignore the fear and focus on the future because the present soon becomes the irrelevant past ! Larry Swenson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stock market at an annual low, 401k and stock portfolio in the dumps, inflation is crazy and seems like a recession is now coming.

Anyone changing their mind about buying the bike for those who have ordered and are waiting? The deposit is refundable…
[/QUOTE
If you look around you can pick up a really good Indian, a heck of a lot cheaper than new with negable miles on it. My 2017 Springfield with 3200 miles on it, stage 2 upgrade, no more room for chrome upgrades, removable matching trunk, riders backrest, removable passenger backrest + a motorcycle Zumo GPS for 18 grand. Saved 12 grand because I priced out all the upgrades. It was 2 yrs old when I got it. With this downturn in people's finances the toys are first to go. But if you want to be the first to gas the seat then go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a “junior” in college in 1979 when Pennsylvania went to an “odd-even” day gas rationing system. Motorcycles were exempted! I could fill up anytime I wanted. I would jump the line and go straight to the premium pump. (It was a separate pump back then.) No one wanted to pay for premium!
I still have the bike. It was the 1st new motorcycle I bought with my own money. 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. I rode it 50 miles yesterday!
View attachment 688451
Awesome bike. That's the 3 cylinder 4-stroke, correct? I had black 79(?) Special back in the day.

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
27 Posts
Just a couple of points in bold below that in my opinion (and this is MY opinion) you are a little mistaken in your thinking of how finances work Rogue Diesel.

Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" (Where did the Federal Government get the money in the first place? From Tax Payers so YES the tax payers are paying for it) they are just cancelling the amount due back. (How are they "canceling" said debt? That $$ went to the colleges, appartments, etc. for those students to go to school. It is not like no one got paid and Everything was "free" for that student.) Students shouldn't have had to pay 8-11% interest to get a higher education in the first place (public good) in the so called richest country in the world. If i lend you 10 dollars then i decided that you don't have to pay me back, no one "paid off" anything. (But where did you get the $10 from in the first place? If YOU had to work for that $$ and YOU decided to give it away, that is your prerogative. But if you have someone paying you to provide them services with the $$ they give you, and you decide to instead take that $$ and give it away, are you actually doing what you were "hired" to do? You are actually giving away someone else's $$. And that is exactly what happens when our "hired" politicians spend $$ on things the people do not want.) The federal government has had student loan payments on a pause since COVID hit in 2020 - they dont need the money from the payments.(No they don't "need" that $$... because they will just tax the working people more to make up the "loss" of the $$. Do you actually think that $$ comes out of thin air for .gov to hand out?)

As someone with a master's degree and student debt, I do not wish the burden on anyone. You end up paying the interest forever and never get to the principle. (That was YOUR choice to incur that debt. No one forced you to do it and I would assume you did the math and weighed the options and decided it was worth it to YOU to incur said debt at said interest rates. Why should someone like me, who did not go the student debt route, and has paid for my two children to go through college have to pay for your choice to incur debt by my tax $ going to pay off student debt?)
Look up modern monetary theory. Also, the federal government isn't like household budgets - we don't print our own money at home. Going off the petro dollar will ruin our economy and devalue the dollar, not forgiving student loans. Also the debt slavery and high interest payments holding people back would be a boon to our country and economy - spending it in the market. Instead, wall street firms bundling and trading student loan debt on wall street which is currently creating a bubble just like the subprime mortgage crisis in 2008.

Reactions: IceAge

·
Registered
27 Posts
Never said steer anyone away from any career path they choose but being $100k in debt for a liberal arts degree just so someone can brag they have a college degree makes 0 sense to me. I tried college for almost 2 years. Couldn't stand it. Much preferred working with my hands which eventually led to getting paid handsomely to go fishing in some places most people can only dream about.
So what if it isn't a liberal arts degree?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a simple man, didn't go to college. Mostly made my living in the building trades, and after back surgery in 2000 (that I paid for myself ) I switched gears and involved myself in a business involving the trades. So here are some thoughts from an uneducated deplorable.........

House, car, truck, appliances, STUDENT LOAN, whatever... If you borrow money, you pay it back. If you don't pay it back, one way or another someone else/others are on the hook for your debt. It's not complicated. But if you must, go ahead and slice it and dice it any way you need to, to justify your position :sneaky:
People are not uneducated because they do not have a degree. Everyone is good at something. Noone is better than anyone else. That is not what this is about.

We can agree to disagree on our point of views.

Reactions: IceAge

·
Registered
129 Posts
Stock market at an annual low, 401k and stock portfolio in the dumps, inflation is crazy and seems like a recession is now coming.

Anyone changing their mind about buying the bike for those who have ordered and are waiting? The deposit is refundable…
to be honest, I bought my bike in December and the finance rates couldn’t be better. The other plus, ride your bike all week and your gas station bill is still a fraction of what a car would be. MPG better too unless you drive a Prius or Tesla. I just cannot think of putting a Prius or a Tesla in my driveway. Indian motorcycle it is then!!

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
Look up modern monetary theory. Also, the federal government isn't like household budgets - we don't print our own money at home. Going off the petro dollar will ruin our economy and devalue the dollar, not forgiving student loans. Also the debt slavery and high interest payments holding people back would be a boon to our country and economy - spending it in the market. Instead, wall street firms bundling and trading student loan debt on wall street which is currently creating a bubble just like the subprime mortgage crisis in 2008.
Ok I looked up "Modern Monetary Theory" and it is just that.... a theory. In reality that theory does not work. If you think it does, take a look at Venezuela. They are still trying to Print their way and price control their way out of the economic failure they are in.

So no offense but I would be asking for a refund on the education you have received. If you think that kind of "theory" is the way to go, I suggest moving to a country that embraces that type of theory instead of trying to implement it here.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts