Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
27 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Been retired since Dec 2020, making me a 'triple dipper'. My 401 is all in a Government G Fund: guaranteed no loss fund. May not gain anything but will not lose anything no matter what. Still get Govt matching funds even in retirement. Cars/bikes are all paid for. Paying a mortgage. With that being said, high inflation/probable recession should not be an issue. Do I like what's going on that is taking us in to those uncharted waters? Oh hell no! I will ride/drive wherever, whenever...I paid my dues, in spades. I didn't wait on a recession in retirement to change any of what I wish to do.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
Just a couple of points in bold below that in my opinion (and this is MY opinion) you are a little mistaken in your thinking of how finances work Rogue Diesel.

Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" (Where did the Federal Government get the money in the first place? From Tax Payers so YES the tax payers are paying for it) they are just cancelling the amount due back. (How are they "canceling" said debt? That $$ went to the colleges, appartments, etc. for those students to go to school. It is not like no one got paid and Everything was "free" for that student.) Students shouldn't have had to pay 8-11% interest to get a higher education in the first place (public good) in the so called richest country in the world. If i lend you 10 dollars then i decided that you don't have to pay me back, no one "paid off" anything. (But where did you get the $10 from in the first place? If YOU had to work for that $$ and YOU decided to give it away, that is your prerogative. But if you have someone paying you to provide them services with the $$ they give you, and you decide to instead take that $$ and give it away, are you actually doing what you were "hired" to do? You are actually giving away someone else's $$. And that is exactly what happens when our "hired" politicians spend $$ on things the people do not want.) The federal government has had student loan payments on a pause since COVID hit in 2020 - they dont need the money from the payments.(No they don't "need" that $$... because they will just tax the working people more to make up the "loss" of the $$. Do you actually think that $$ comes out of thin air for .gov to hand out?)

As someone with a master's degree and student debt, I do not wish the burden on anyone. You end up paying the interest forever and never get to the principle. (That was YOUR choice to incur that debt. No one forced you to do it and I would assume you did the math and weighed the options and decided it was worth it to YOU to incur said debt at said interest rates. Why should someone like me, who did not go the student debt route, and has paid for my two children to go through college have to pay for your choice to incur debt by my tax $ going to pay off student debt?)

·
Bronze member
2,231 Posts
Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" (Where did the Federal Government get the money in the first place?
The answer to where the government gets all their money is simple. They print it. 20% of all the money in circulation now was printed in the last year. Over $9,000,000,000,000(that's trillion folks) of basically monopoly with no backing and people wonder why we have the worst inflation in 40+years. If the government forgives all the student loans do the people like my wife who faithfully paid off her loans get a refund? I won't hold my breath.
SHTF is coming folks and sooner than later IMHO. I started to sound the alarm after the 2020 election. Hope all of you are getting prepared. It won't be pretty.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Dark Horse
91 Posts
Since the 70’s till now tuition has increased north of 160%. Earnings for 22 -27 year olds has increased 19%. Most good jobs require a college degree. Is it really a choice anymore for someone who wants to improve their station in life to not get a degree? Are the American young not worth the investment? Anecdotal evidence from decades ago can not be applied to today.

·
Bronze member
2,231 Posts
Clothing Shirt Arm Product Smile

My next door neighbor works as a mechanic at a mercedes dealership. He makes $100k plus a year.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" they are just cancelling the amount due back. Students shouldn't have had to pay 8-11% interest to get a higher education in the first place (public good) in the so called richest country in the world. If i lend you 10 dollars then i decided that you don't have to pay me back, no one "paid off" anything. The federal government has had student loan payments on a pause since COVID hit in 2020 - they dont need the money from the payments.

As someone with a master's degree and student debt, I do not wish the burden on anyone. You end up paying the interest forever and never get to the principle.

I never realized the Colleges that got paid by the Federal Government which I thought was Tax monies collected by the Treasury from the US citizens was not considered my contribution to monies given and not paid back. I think the Colleges who IMO overcharge so many need to refund each unhappy student and let them argue it out. No different than you buy a motorcycle and its not what you thought it was going to be and you ask the dealer to take it back. The Student Debts should be between the Colleges and individuals not me. But if we all want to agree on Colleges being "Free" like Public Schools I am all for this. The Citizens then control the Salaries and expenses allocated to each College and no more "Huge Salaries" to the Colleges administrations. This conversation will go on and on and on just like the conversations about this is still going on and on and on. No Hate here just sharing ideas.

The NCAA is some of the most Profitable athletic businesses in the world which most do not even know.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
My next door neighbor works as a mechanic at a mercedes dealership. He makes $100k plus a year.
I get your point but the meme is a little lazy. So we should steer people from being Doctors, Engineers, and the like towards being mechanics? Noting wrong with the trades. I am in the trades. I was also in IT prior. I prefer the trades. No one size fits all.

·
Bronze member
2,231 Posts
I get your point but the meme is a little lazy. So we should steer people from being Doctors, Engineers, and the like towards being mechanics? Noting wrong with the trades. I am in the trades. I was also in IT prior. I prefer the trades. No one size fits all.
Never said steer anyone away from any career path they choose but being $100k in debt for a liberal arts degree just so someone can brag they have a college degree makes 0 sense to me. I tried college for almost 2 years. Couldn't stand it. Much preferred working with my hands which eventually led to getting paid handsomely to go fishing in some places most people can only dream about.

·
Bronze member
3,719 Posts
Cancelling isn't paying off - that is my point. I was making a distinction.
I usually stay out of this kind of stuff... but ask two questions: 1. Did the university/college/votec receive the money? 2. If so where did that money come from?... was it the Federal Government?... If so how does the Federal Government make income?... not hard for me to figure out and I don't have a masters degree

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
I'm a simple man, didn't go to college. Mostly made my living in the building trades, and after back surgery in 2000 (that I paid for myself ) I switched gears and involved myself in a business involving the trades. So here are some thoughts from an uneducated deplorable.........

House, car, truck, appliances, STUDENT LOAN, whatever... If you borrow money, you pay it back. If you don't pay it back, one way or another someone else/others are on the hook for your debt. It's not complicated. But if you must, go ahead and slice it and dice it any way you need to, to justify your position :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I'm a simple man, didn't go to college. Mostly made my living in the building trades, and after back surgery in 2000 (that I paid for myself ) I switched gears and involved myself in a business involving the trades. So here are some thoughts from an uneducated deplorable.........
Health insurance or no health insurance? Trying to determine what “that I paid for myself” means.

House, car, truck, appliances, STUDENT LOAN, whatever... If you borrow money, you pay it back. If you don't pay it back, one way or another someone else/others are on the hook for your debt. It's not complicated. But if you must, go ahead and slice it and dice it any way you need to, to justify your position :sneaky:
You and I agree that if you borrow money, you pay it back. What I am going on about is that as a society here in America is it short sighted to strap our future generations with obscene debt right out of the gate just to try and break into the middle class? Are our American young worth the investment?

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
Health insurance or no health insurance? Trying to determine what “that I paid for myself” means.

You and I agree that if you borrow money, you pay it back. What I am going on about is that as a society here in America is it short sighted to strap our future generations with obscene debt right out of the gate just to try and break into the middle class? Are our American young worth the investment?
I had a small'ish construction company for about 25 years. Myself, and 3-4 employees. I was in excellent health & figured I was bullet proof... apparently I was not :rolleyes: . Stupid not to have health insurance. I sold off my cube van, dump trailer, and a few other const. related items and tapped into my savings, which were not all that much, and paid out of pocket to pay the surgeon and other related bills. Lesson learned.

I understand your statement/question regarding "Are our American young worth the investment". My answer is yes. And I agree with you regarding holding future generations back, not making it easier to get an education. But part of the reason some kids end up with extreme debt is because some colleges and universities charge extreme costs for the education, even though the institutions are quite $flush. And it seems some colleges and universities have lost sight of what their job really is, but that's a different topic. It's a tangled web and I do not have the answers. Regardless, I also know a couple of young adults, now lawyers, that are up to their asses in student loan debt, but they enjoyed a couple of cruises and lots of other goodies during their years of "higher education" lol. My ex-wife worked in the deans office at a local college in Syracuse NY, she retired after 25 years there. And she has told me about numerous ways the institution spent money, an abundance of useless waste went on for years, and I expect it still does. Seems to me the institutions of "higher learning" would be doing the country a good turn by getting back to the basics, just provide the education.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Also, being $100K in student debt earning a degree that prepares for a career that is in high demand and pays a high salary is very different from being $100K in student debt for a degree that will not lead to any type of real job that pays decent $. Many "diploma mill" institutions have marketed degrees so that they could feed at the federal trough while reeling in students like fish in a barrel.

·
Rider
1,659 Posts
Cancelling isn't paying off - that is my point. I was making a distinction.
Sorry, if canceling isn't paying off then just stop paying it. The problem isn't the doctors and engineers, it's the women's studies (or is that birth-person's studies now?) majors.

No one "strapped" any of you with anything. Unless, of course, a gun was being held to your head as you signed the loan agreement.

No, it is not worth a dime to me. I put myself through school. As a "highly paid" public school teacher, I raised two daughters and put them through school. I added a Masters degree and paid for that.

As my mom always says, what's good for the goose and good for the gander. So, no, if you signed up for it, keep writing those checks.

Since the 70’s till now tuition has increased north of 160%. Earnings for 22 -27 year olds has increased 19%. Most good jobs require a college degree. Is it really a choice anymore for someone who wants to improve their station in life to not get a degree? Are the American young not worth the investment? Anecdotal evidence from decades ago can not be applied to today.
Please define "good jobs."

If a doctor, lawyer, or engineer is having trouble paying off their student debt, it's probably because they aren't any good at it. And, if you signed up for a six figure school loan so you could end up as a barista, well, that explains a lot, too.

The guy that just fixed the AC in my motorhome got $130 just for taking the key out of the ignition in his truck. Not bad work if yo can get it.

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
The guy that fixed the oven in my kitchen range this Tuesday got me for $367.52. Took him 15 minutes to replace an igniter, probably a $10-$15 part. It was the owner of the business. In addition to the 20 minute visit he had to do the to/from drive of 14-16 miles back'n forth from his place. But my tuna-noodle that evening was outstanding.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The guy that fixed the oven in my kitchen range this Tuesday got me for $367.52. Took him 15 minutes to replace an igniter, probably a $10-$15 part. It was the owner of the business. In addition to the 20 minute visit he had to do the to/from drive of 14-16 miles back'n forth from his place. But my tuna-noodle that evening was outstanding.
Tuna noodle huh? But can you tuna guitar or tuna piano or tuna fish? 😏

·
Silver member
5,737 Posts
When you vote Nov 5, 2024 Remember this picture. Tell your friends. Friends don't let friends waste a vote.
Yer gonna get yelled at :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

* or deleted! / Hink

• Haha
Reactions: IceAge
41 - 60 of 101 Posts