Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Rider
846 Posts
I own my chieftain and have the cash for my Scout I just ordered. I've paid off all other bills except my house. I am going to keep my order and then save again for my add ons. I will never charge a bunch of shit again. I am so thankful to not have that credit card debt anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m with you all on the motorcycling, and it for sure is more economical riding than driving with gas prices where they are and will likely continue to rise. With that logic though, Indian motorcycles aren’t exactly cheap, and there’s plenty of bikes under $5k that allow people to still ride. A 125 or 250cc kills it on mileage as well.

I’m holding onto my order… for now. I have another bike already that I can ride and I won’t get rid of anyways. I can afford another bike, but with the recession looming I don’t know if it’s the best thing to be spending money on. I also don’t expect used prices to be holding as well as they have. As new bike demand goes down and supply chain issues reduce, it only means inventory will go up and used prices go down.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The latest news is a bill to let powers to be are going to control the Gasoline prices. Yikes Gas shortages and lines are possibly in our future.

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
I’m with you all on the motorcycling, and it for sure is more economical riding than driving with gas prices where they are and will likely continue to rise. With that logic though, Indian motorcycles aren’t exactly cheap, and there’s plenty of bikes under $5k that allow people to still ride. A 125 or 250cc kills it on mileage as well.

I’m holding onto my order… for now. I have another bike already that I can ride and I won’t get rid of anyways. I can afford another bike, but with the recession looming I don’t know if it’s the best thing to be spending money on. I also don’t expect used prices to be holding as well as they have. As new bike demand goes down and supply chain issues reduce, it only means inventory will go up and used prices go down.
Actually used prices may go out since there will be higher demand due to less new stock inventory. Especially for those wanting a bike so they can save $$. However that being said... there may be people struggling and in need of money so there will be some screaming deals to get if in the right place at the right time.

Back in 2002 (recession supposedly) I scored a screaming deal on a barely used 1998 GSXR 750R from a person hit by the recession as well as they couldn't get it started. New battery etc. Paid the guy what he was asking... $600 for a 4year old bike.... Got it home, started it right up and took it for a ride. Flipped it the next day for $5600 and the guy who bought it from me was laughing since he thought it was worth much more than $6K. The original owner was trying to start it on the kick stand with it in gear. So even with the clutch pulled in... it would not start with the kick stand down and in gear. I put it in neutral to put on my trailer and hence when I got home... it started right up. At least that is what I figure was "wrong" with it.

My point is... there will be screaming deals to be had, but those looking to buy will be willing to pay a fair bit due to lack of new inventory, especially if they are not mechanically inclined, and there is a good, clean bike in front of them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The latest news is a bill to let powers to be are going to control the Gasoline prices. Yikes Gas shortages and lines are possibly in our future.
I have not seen that yet, hope it is "fake" news. But if true... all the more reason to ride a motorcycle. Wondering if I should put my '78 BJ40 up for sale now... or wait till people want a diesel for the better mpg? A "normal" FJ40 gets about 9mpg, my diesel BJ40 gets about 26mpg.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have not seen that yet, hope it is "fake" news. But if true... all the more reason to ride a motorcycle. Wondering if I should put my '78 BJ40 up for sale now... or wait till people want a diesel for the better mpg? A "normal" FJ40 gets about 9mpg, my diesel BJ40 gets about 26mpg.
It’s real news it’s a bill being proposed right now and would imagine if passed the oil companies will just cut back on production to stem their losses.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It’s real news it’s a bill being proposed right now and would imagine if passed the oil companies will just cut back on production to stem their losses.
LInk? Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. bring up nothing on that topic other than some guy on CNN who says it is a bad idea after the CNN head suggested it as a way to stop inflation.

·
Rider
846 Posts
I just filled 6 5 gallon jerry cans with 93 octane. Just in case. I’ll be riding my Scout to work every day until it snows.
I wonder if I can get snow tires for a bike😎

Reactions: Bass fisher

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was a “junior” in college in 1979 when Pennsylvania went to an “odd-even” day gas rationing system. Motorcycles were exempted! I could fill up anytime I wanted. I would jump the line and go straight to the premium pump. (It was a separate pump back then.) No one wanted to pay for premium!
I still have the bike. It was the 1st new motorcycle I bought with my own money. 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. I rode it 50 miles yesterday!
View attachment 688451
That's a great story.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No Motorcycles are TOY $$$. I have it because I stay with in my means... I remember President Carter and Global Cooling oils would be used up by 2010 etc etc... If you might be working for your payment?? Hang low and save more $$$ We aren't going anywhere... We will wait for you.

·
Bronze member
3,340 Posts
Stock market at an annual low, 401k and stock portfolio in the dumps, inflation is crazy and seems like a recession is now coming.

Anyone changing their mind about buying the bike for those who have ordered and are waiting? The deposit is refundable…
I had a Pan America on order and canceled when things started slipping.
It came in about a month ago and it’s still sitting unsold at the dealership.

·
Administrator
22,595 Posts
Where I lose my choice is on road trips. I well remember the Carter-era gas lines. Waiting an hour or more in a line to fill up my tank would prompt me to abandon road trips ~~ doing this five states away is far different (pun) than doing it in my ‘hood.

Might as well have an electric bike and wait three hours for it to recharge on road trips…. NOT!

·
Registered
481 Posts
LInk? Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. bring up nothing on that topic other than some guy on CNN who says it is a bad idea after the CNN head suggested it as a way to stop inflation.
Gas lines, here we come: P****i to push federal price caps on gasoline

• carefully edited by Hink but I couldn‘t edit the name on the video…. Hink
    [*]PS: just think of it as “feds” in the video title ~~ no names…. Hink

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks @HINK not here to start the Political BS just sharing what May become a bill.

Reactions: HINK

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
27 Posts
“Work Around” - Any chance you can get your bike financing reclassified as student debt? Then just let the rest of us pay for it!
Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" they are just cancelling the amount due back. Students shouldn't have had to pay 8-11% interest to get a higher education in the first place (public good) in the so called richest country in the world. If i lend you 10 dollars then i decided that you don't have to pay me back, no one "paid off" anything. The federal government has had student loan payments on a pause since COVID hit in 2020 - they dont need the money from the payments.

As someone with a master's degree and student debt, I do not wish the burden on anyone. You end up paying the interest forever and never get to the principle.

·
Bronze member
3,340 Posts
Federal student loans are held by the federal government, therefore if they were cancelled no one is "paying for it" they are just cancelling the amount due back. Students shouldn't have had to pay 8-11% interest to get a higher education in the first place (public good) in the so called richest country in the world. If i lend you 10 dollars then i decided that you don't have to pay me back, no one "paid off" anything. The federal government has had student loan payments on a pause since COVID hit in 2020 - they dont need the money from the payments.

As someone with a master's degree and student debt, I do not wish the burden on anyone. You end up paying the interest forever and never get to the principle.
Font Rectangle Circle Event Number

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
27 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Dave H
21 - 40 of 101 Posts