Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock market at an annual low, 401k and stock portfolio in the dumps, inflation is crazy and seems like a recession is now coming.

Anyone changing their mind about buying the bike for those who have ordered and are waiting? The deposit is refundable…

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stock market at an annual low, 401k and stock portfolio in the dumps, inflation is crazy and seems like a recession is now coming.

Anyone changing their mind about buying the bike for those who have ordered and are waiting? The deposit is refundable…
Not changing my mind Bobberbobber - I don't make light of the difficulties facing many, and cancelling may be the right move for some, but given all that's going on in the world at the mo, I need my faith, my family and my recently ordered Pursuit to keep that smile on my dial.

·
Rider
2,025 Posts
Deac is right in his sentiments. Depends I suppose how 'vulnerable financially' people find themselves in with regards to a looming recession? A motorcycle is not a necessity for me but more therapeutic. If affordability isn't an issue a motorcycle is the best transportation to ride you through a recession. Even more reason to keep your deposit exactly where it is!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,428 Posts
Agreed. For those who can afford to stay on track it's best. For those who can't there are "work arounds" if they wish to keep riding. It might not be the bike of their dreams but a good used bike or a lower priced new model could "float their boat" so to speak.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Honestly I am waiting and saving for it to buy my next bike. It will likely be what deflates the prices and fees at dealers. People will cut out big ticket luxury expenses first and that should hit recreational vehicles first then automobiles. I am in the no surcharge no markup camp of buyers, I can buy anything I want but what I want does not include surcharges and dealer padding.

My 401k already has taken a dive and changes to my purchasing habits won't be affected as I am five plus years off from retirement. I am still soaking my maximum investment yearly.

The interest rate changes are going to have a substantial effect as well. Already the base is up half a point and another is coming; the fed having promised not to try higher jumps. a lot of bikes are financed and while many will sustain four to five percent they won't like the costs at seven to eight.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,123 Posts
Agreed. For those who can afford to stay on track it's best. For those who can't there are "work arounds" if they wish to keep riding. It might not be the bike of their dreams but a good used bike or a lower priced new model could "float their boat" so to speak.
“Work Around” - Any chance you can get your bike financing reclassified as student debt? Then just let the rest of us pay for it!

·
Rider
2014 Indian Chieftain
813 Posts

I was around during the Carter years when we had to sell the family business project because interest rates were as high as 21%, inflation was crazy, odd/even gas rationing days (because the government was telling us the world was running out of oil), etc., etc. Yeah, we're going to go thru tough times thanks to the idiots in DC but if you look around the world, even in the toughest of times, our great country is still shoulders above other countries. People are dying because of lack of food and we get pissed because the internet is out.

(Most) Politicians are unique, heartless, chronic liars that create problems then tell us we need to elect them to fix it.

Live within your means, ride it out and (if we avoid a nuclear war) wait for better days. In my lifetime, doom-n-gloom has always been cyclical ... just like the weather.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,123 Posts
I was around during the Carter years when we had to sell the family business project because interest rates were as high as 21%, inflation was crazy, odd/even gas rationing days (because the government was telling us the world was running out of oil), etc., etc. Yeah, we're going to go thru tough times thanks to the idiots in DC but if you look around the world, even in the toughest of times, our great country is still shoulders above other countries. People are dying because of lack of food and we get pissed because the internet is out.

(Most) Politicians are unique, heartless, chronic liars that create problems then tell us we need to elect them to fix it.

Live within your means, ride it out and (if we avoid a nuclear war) wait for better days. In my lifetime, doom-n-gloom has always been cyclical ... just like the weather.
I was a “junior” in college in 1979 when Pennsylvania went to an “odd-even” day gas rationing system. Motorcycles were exempted! I could fill up anytime I wanted. I would jump the line and go straight to the premium pump. (It was a separate pump back then.) No one wanted to pay for premium!
I still have the bike. It was the 1st new motorcycle I bought with my own money. 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. I rode it 50 miles yesterday!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
448 Posts

“Live within your means”.
That’s the thing so many people just can’t seem to figure out. Fortunately I’ve always been good at saving money so I could make it during the lean times.
Everyone that knows me just thinks I’m a tighta$$. I’m really just “practical”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Springfield Dark Horse
368 Posts
“Live within your means”.
That’s the thing so many people just can’t seem to figure out. Fortunately I’ve always been good at saving money so I could make it during the lean times.
Everyone that knows me just thinks I’m a tighta$$. I’m really just “practical”.

One of my GF's has gone back to school and had to do a budget for one of her finance classes. Part of the project was where most of your $$ goes after necessary expenses like Rent and Utilities. Most of her expendable income is spent on her dogs, feeding them etc. She is in her 40's and most of the students are in their teens to early 20's. According to her, most of the students $$ went to things like Starbucks, Personal appearance products, internet gaming and clothes shopping.

Those types will either learn quick... or struggle while blaming everyone else for their problems.
Definitely better to be practical.

Also like Mark.lb points out... motorcycles are way more economic and practical (when not in icy weather) and therefore make more sense during tough times.

·
Bronze member
3,719 Posts
I commute 40 miles round trip... my F 150 4X4 gets 16 mpg on a good day... my Chieftain gets 48 mpg at 60 mph... even at the 50 cent difference between E-10 and Premium... I'll keep on riding rain or shine as long as it's above 35 degrees..

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
I didn’t give up motorcycles under the Carter admin when we actually had gas lines, I was paying $5+ per gallon under Obomster. At least we don’t have gas lines under Brandon. Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
448 Posts
One of my GF's has gone back to school and had to do a budget for one of her finance classes. Part of the project was where most of your $$ goes after necessary expenses like Rent and Utilities. Most of her expendable income is spent on her dogs, feeding them etc. She is in her 40's and most of the students are in their teens to early 20's. According to her, most of the students $$ went to things like Starbucks, Personal appearance products, internet gaming and clothes shopping.

Those types will either learn quick... or struggle while blaming everyone else for their problems.
Definitely better to be practical.

Also like Mark.lb points out... motorcycles are way more economic and practical (when not in icy weather) and therefore make more sense during tough times.
Yeah, I have one son that “has” to have the expensive fancy coffee and name brand clothes and all that, and the other son who buys his clothes at thrift stores.

If you can afford the nice things then I say enjoy it but you’ve got to have your priorities straight. Some people just don’t get it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,428 Posts
For me at least it was quitting smoking that saved me a lot of money. When I quit my alchohol consumption went down a lot so I saved money twofold. I always provided for my wife & 3 kids but when I quit cigarettes I had a little more for toys, mostly motorcycles. I quit back in 1989 at the age of 36 after 20 years of smoking.

·
Rider
2019 Indian Chieftain DH In Black Smoke
1,413 Posts
For me at least it was quitting smoking that saved me a lot of money. When I quit my alchohol consumption went down a lot so I saved money twofold. I always provided for my wife & 3 kids but when I quit cigarettes I had a little more for toys, mostly motorcycles. I quit back in 1989 at the age of 36 after 20 years of smoking.
This sounds true to me and my life @reinie
You read my book

1 - 20 of 85 Posts