Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you respond to a text message. I can see when someone texts me but I cannot send my pre message.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Assuming you’re talking about ride command, I don’t even see incoming texts. How does one set that up?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Avoid texts and incoming phone calls at all cost while riding a motorcycle, it is a full time imperative and too dangerous to your safety. Its the best way to purge your mind of daily BS we all get entrapped with these days. We are all prisoners of cell phones anyways....motorcycling is an escape from that BS IMHO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Avoid texts and incoming phone calls at all cost while riding a motorcycle, it is a full time imperative and too dangerous to your safety. Its the best way to purge your mind of daily BS we all get entrapped with these days. We are all prisoners of cell phones anyways....motorcycling is an escape from that BS IMHO.
That’s good advice. I’m too easily distracted anyway.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
All I use the text feature is to see if it is something that I need to respond to right away. For example, I was riding to work and I got a message that my wife had locked herself out of the house, so I was able to turn around.

·
Rider
747 Posts
I completely agree with this post. You need to be paying attention to the road and what all the other people around you who are in cages are doing. I know what they are doing. They are texting, eating, shaving, doing their makeup, and yes even reading a book! I actually saw a guy on a bike the other texting while he was on the freeway?! Dead man riding I say! It only takes a second of you being distracted like they are for you to end up paralyzed or dead. Just wait till you pull over to answer. We as bikers need to try and stack as many of the odds in our favor as we can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you push the phone button on the screen, you should see a text emblem. On your iPhone change the settings. I’m still trying to understand it myself. I went to the dealer but he couldn’t figure it out either
Pair your phone via bluetooth. You cannot respond while vehicle is moving and can only send canned messages while running but stopped.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
If you push the phone button on the screen, you should see a text emblem. On your iPhone change the settings. I’m still trying to understand it myself. I went to the dealer but he couldn’t figure it out either
Yes. I just was stating, none of it works in motion. Safety AND Liability concerns.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Why I bought a Springfield..Free from all outside "stuff".

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can't drive with reading glasses on and can't read a text on screen with out reading glasses. Problem solved for me. I simply notice that I received a text message and will respond when I stop someplace and I don't mean at the next red light. Most people I know, especially my wife and kids, have been taught not to text me when I have to respond with anything longer than a "yes, no, or ok". If you want a conversation, call me. That's what the damn "phone" feature is for.

·
Rider
743 Posts
Some of our lives have other people in it. I have four children, a wife, and a sick mother. All counting on me. It would be nice to be able to glance at a text to see if I need to pull over, take my helmet off, take my gloves off, fight the tornado of panties being flung at me when women see the Indian, and be able to respond if need be.
Ride Command could be so much better if they had put work into it. It really sucks except for playing music. It sounds pretty good. Other than that, useless.

·
Rider
743 Posts
I just switched from an iPhone to a Samsung S10 and now I see texts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’m still not sure how to set this up with my iPhone X. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

·
Registered
328 Posts
First, sync your phone to the Ride Command, then on your iPhone....

Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices > Indian Motorcycle > touch on the blue encircled i > enable “Show Notifications”.

·
Registered
336 Posts
First, sync your phone to the Ride Command, then on your iPhone....

Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices > Indian Motorcycle > touch on the blue encircled i > enable “Show Notifications”.
I could have sworn I did all that, but low and behold Show Notifications was shut off. I’ll try that. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts