Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really need some help.

Reinstalling my rear wheel and can't torque the axle nut without compressing the bracket for the speed sensor and caliper into the disc.

...metal to metal ...

Hopeful that the pics help:

Nothing missing according to the book?

·
Registered
236 Posts
What prevents that bracket from rotating? There must be an "indent" or "tab" on the bracket that grabs the swing arm. Then it should not "bend" while you torque the axle nut.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It must nut be seating right but sure feels/looks right while ours loose...

Will keep trying.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Check to make sure your wheel is aligned equal on both sides (center of swingarm pivot to center of axle).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check to make sure your wheel is aligned equal on both sides (center of swingarm pivot to center of axle).
Altering the alignment is the only thing that does help...Thanks.

But I can't quite keep the bracket from making contact. I swear it's Luke it's missing a spacer...But none is called for.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Howdy VistaChief,
I don't see spacer 30 from the drawing in your photo of your wheel assembly. It separates the wheel hub from the bracket. I have just examined the rear hub set-up on my Chieftain. The spacer (30) definitely goes on the left side between the bracket and the hub; there is no spacer on the right side, the hub is butt-up against the right-side rear wheel adjuster (29). The drawing appears to be incorrect.
--- Randall

·
Registered
765 Posts
before you start to tighten the nut, is there some play in the assembly? If you don't have extra parts, something is not assembled correctly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Howdy VistaChief,
I don't see spacer 30 from the drawing in your photo of your wheel assembly. It separates the wheel hub from the bracket.
--- Randall
That's what I was thinking when saying not assembled correctly, you stated it much clearer than I Randall.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy VistaChief,
I don't see spacer 30 from the drawing in your photo of your wheel assembly. It separates the wheel hub from the bracket. I have just examined the rear hub set-up on my Chieftain. The spacer (30) definitely goes on the left side between the bracket and the hub; there is no spacer on the right side, the hub is butt-up against the right-side rear wheel adjuster (29). The drawing appears to be incorrect.
--- Randall
I think this has to be it. But it's described as belonging on the other (RH) side in the manual. It's gotta be a misprint and I dint have it over there anyway. Unfortunately I haven't found it yet...Will report back...Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now how to retrieve that stupid negative battery terminal screw.

I don't believe they could have buried that thing in a place more prone to getting dropped into the guts of the bike

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, sorry to belabor this one, but just for clarity sake:

#30 is actually a right hand side spacer after all. When you look at the assembled wheel you can't really see it. With the wheel off it slides out and has a shoulder on it...Just like the drawing.

What's not in the drawing is his counter part on the left side. The fellow that ran off on me. He doesn't have a shoulder - as you can see in the pic I took of it.

Both sides are described as spacers and slide out easily. Unfortunately, only the right side guy is shown in the drawing. Stupid drawing left out the one piece that I also left out.

Anyway, misidentifying him as #30 still lead to the actual perpetrator.

Thanks again.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Ok, sorry to belabor this one, but just for clarity sake:

#30 is actually a right hand side spacer after all. When you look at the assembled wheel you can't really see it. With the wheel off it slides out and has a shoulder on it...Just like the drawing.

What's not in the drawing is his counter part on the left side. The fellow that ran off on me. He doesn't have a shoulder - as you can see in the pic I took of it.

Both sides are described as spacers and slide out easily. Unfortunately, only the right side guy is shown in the drawing. Stupid drawing left out the one piece that I also left out.

Anyway, misidentifying him as #30 still lead to the actual perpetrator.

Thanks again.
Well, its good you got it figured out. I didn't go so far as to disassemble anything, though I did crawl under the saddlebags with a flashlight to try and be sure. I love solving stuff like this and understanding how something works. This would not be the first time I've discovered inaccuracies in a service manual, especially on a new model. I been agitating in other threads about Indian making a service manual down-load available. A digital manual is easily updated and corrected when things like this come to light. In the meantime I guess I'll annotate my hard copy.
--- Randall

·
Registered
83 Posts
I assemble oilfield equipment.
Drawings from engineers are very vague and when multiple same parts are used they only point one out and expect the assembler to understand where the others are located.
In respect to all who try to do there own work and read a drawing you have to think like a engineer.
Found my self many times doing double work.
But practice makes perfect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts