Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a guys yesterday that said he would buy a new Challenger tomorrow if he could get a rear tail bag/seat rest that would hold 2 full face helmets. I have to be honest, I sat on a new Roadmaster and it felt like it weighed 400 lbs more than my Challenger or my Springfield. With a lot of us getting older that excess weight is a factor. I saw someone post a chopped box with a website, but when I punched in the Indian Challenger, nothing came up. Does anyone have this setup with a full size rear box?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I met a guys yesterday that said he would buy a new Challenger tomorrow if he could get a rear tail bag/seat rest that would hold 2 full face helmets. I have to be honest, I sat on a new Roadmaster and it felt like it weighed 400 lbs more than my Challenger or my Springfield. With a lot of us getting older that excess weight is a factor. I saw someone post a chopped box with a website, but when I punched in the Indian Challenger, nothing came up. Does anyone have this setup with a full size rear box?
You should be able to get two full sized helmets in a HD king tour pak. Tell him to buy one and an aftermarket mount and he's done. There are a few pics here and on the FB page of guys with king tour paks.
I have the one I kept when I sold my Street Glide, I will be putting it on my Challenger when I get it.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
When I bought my Challenger I was told in June a trunk was due to be released, but with everything going on, I doubt that will happen. I prefer the OEM trunks (at least what is out currently) to the aftermarket look so I'm waiting to see what indian puts out before purchasing anything. Besides, toilet paper is becoming scarce round here, I've got bigger issues.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,251 Posts
Yeah the virus is putting a kink in the supply chain for sure. There seem to be plenty of used and knock-off trunks/tour packs available on Amazon or Ebay yet. Shipping might be delayed but they're out there.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Anytime you put a trunk on a bike you’re raising the center of gravity, so it’s going to feel top heavy verses not having a trunk. Fully load the trunk and it’s even worse. I usually keep my RM setup w/o the trunk and a solo seat. I can really tell a difference when I add the trunk and load it up for a trip. Chopped trunks have that cool look, but if touring, I want the space of a full trunk.

·
5 years +
178 Posts
I was told by a local dealer that the Challenger Tour will be a 2021 model. The pic I posted was from a dealer that installed the Roadmaster trunk
Do the rear speakers work and what was used to do that? I'm looking to get mine working.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Do the rear speakers work and what was used to do that? I'm looking to get mine working.
There’s an explanation on one of the IM Facebook groups about the rear speakers not working, even after connecting the trunk harness. The Challenger and RM are wired differently and it takes some jury-rigging to get power to the rear speakers.

·
5 years +
178 Posts
I was told that the Roadmaster trunk isn't compatible with the Challenger wiring.
I feel that the main wiring harness on all of the Indian models is the same it's what is plugged into them that makes the difference. Over the past few model years the audio systems have change - different amps, speakers etc. At this point I'm not willing to spend the money to find out but I'm guessing that adding the 4 channel amp and upgrade the trunk with 2 amplified speakers and trunk wiring harness might do it. I'm aware of 2 dealers (not in my area) that have gotten the rear speakers to work. Obviously I have not talked to them yet I thought of asking here first. I'm sure that the dealers would love to sell me the necessary parts but I would like to support my local dealer. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts