Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,480 Posts
I've used Metzlers in the past and had bad luck with every one I used.[ the rubber chunked out on every one of em] hence I wouldn't run em on my wheel barrow .But,each to his own!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've used Metzlers in the past and had bad luck with every one I used.[ the rubber chunked out on every one of em] hence I wouldn't run em on my wheel barrow .But,each to his own!!
I tried them because they were recommended by several on this site and I felt the factory tires had poor grip on wet roads. So far, I love them. We shall see!

·
Registered
377 Posts
All ya need to lift the rear of the machine is a large screw jack called the "Black Jack",Black Widow,whatever it's called.[it kind or resembles a scissors jack ,only a LOT heftier with a lifting capacity of 1100 lbs.I have two,one for the back and one for the front.It sells for around 100 bucks or so from Amazon.It has two brackets that slide from each end of it so you can line em up with your lifting points.On the rear of these machines the lifting points are actually two curved parts on the frame rail which protrude downward,and are at an angle or one on each side,one towards the front and one towards the rear.[If ya look under the bike you'll see what I'm referring to] That's what I'm using to lift the rear wheel off the floor to get my tire off.I place a small piece of 2X4 wood ,one on each side of the jack, so they line up with the two points on the frame that protrude downwards,then lift the machine.
I can use my second jack to lift the front of the machine at the same time,if so desired.I use the bottoms of the outer rounded ends of the crash bar ,where they conect onto the motor as my front lifting points.And it works!!
So as you can see gentlemen,the word impossible,difficult,or can't be done,DO NOT EXIST!! if there's a will,there's a way!! I found it and am passing it along to the rest of you guys!! Questions???? Dave!!!
Is this the jack you are talking about

And I do believe this is the lift point on the ride side you are referencing
aliftpointrtside.jpg
aliftpointrtside.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,480 Posts
Affirmative!!! I use the two jacks shown on the left in your picture.I place a piece of 2X4 on the left side in the center of the jack,between the jack and that lift point that protrudes down,then another piece of 2X4,PLUS ,a piece of 3/4 " thick wood on top of that ,on the right side to lift the back of the machine. And if I wanna lift just the front of the machine,or both ends of the machine at the same time,I use my second jack,only with those slider pieces positioned and adjusted so as to line em up with the bottoms of the front crash bar, right where it's mounts on to the frame rail.If ya look at it,you'll see what I mean.Now you can lift either, or both ends, of the machine at the same time,if so desired.And it's pretty steady.I don't think I'd wanna sit on it when it's on those jacks,but for service and or maintenance work,they work pisser.And you position the jacks so the head of the lifting screw is facing the right side of the machine which would be where you are standing when you're,ahhhhhhhh,screwing.lol lol .I bought those jacks to work on my Triumph in 2010 and it appears that it was money WELL SPENT cause I've discovered that I can use em on just about any motorcycle.
Let me know how ya like em after ya use em.If ya have any questions,just ask,and for a small fee of 1,000,000,000,000,000 plus tax,lol lol,I'll be more then happy to answer em.Or if ya want PM me and I'll give ya my phone number so you can call me and I can expalin it better if ya don't understand something about the procedure.Fair enough???

One more thing I forgot to mention: I cheat!! I have a small portable lift which goes up 30 inches,and has a 3 ton capacity so I can drive or push the bike on to it,then raise the bike and then position my black jacks.It's a lot easier working standing up then it is crawling around on the floor.For 35 years,I worked with a lift,but a big lift cause some of the trucks in my fleet had a GVW of 30 tons.
Dave!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
41 - 47 of 47 Posts