Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Rear tire traction on wet pavement - 2020 Chieftain

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PinkRosePetal 
#1 ·
I bought a new 2020 Chieftain in June '21, I've only been able to put about 1000 miles on it. I got caught in an unexpected light shower on the way home tonight. ABS went on coming to a stoplight so I knew it was slick. I took off quite slowly and still fishtailed! All is good (now that I changed my shorts). I know this 116 is all about torque but still, has anyone else had trouble with the stock tires being slick?

I think it was new pavement and we haven't had a lot of rain but it was a bit unnerving. I've ridden many other motorcycles in the rain and made it home alive (just like Billy Joel). Just curious.

See less See more
#3 ·
Couple things stand out…

1. Always slickest when the rain first starts and especially if only drizzling.
2. New pavement can be slick all on it’s own without the rain because of the oil in it, worse in rain.

I know we all have opinions on tire, mine is that the E4’s are a fairly decent rain tire all things considered. It is a long wear tire, so there are better rain tires, but you’ll be changing them more often. Many many rain miles on these tires. Now tar snakes, they certainly don’t like those in the heat.

#4 ·
Standard. And there appears to be a Dunlop Elite 3 on the back.

Maybe the road was just that greasy but it was unnerving. I mean, I was still in first gear and the clutch wasn't all the way out so I just pulled it in a bit and was able to get it moving. But a few cars actually went around me in the right lane. It wasn't cool.

It certainly wasn't the Kawi C14 I traded in.

#5 ·
Every bike takes getting used to for sure. Even with the 111 it would “brake loose” in certain conditions when I first got it. Wasn’t used to the low end torque. Now after 95k miles never an issue. You’ll see, but don’t worry soon there will be folks telling you to switch tires…. 🙂

#8 ·
When caught in the rain, I usually change to Tour mode from Standard. Got caught in a couple of drenchers in WV last week. I did feel a bit of a slippage in various places as we ran into roads with coal dust, dirt, and new asphalt. Not really bad, though as the speeds dropped quite a bit. Running with an Elite 4 on the back I think.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.