Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to find a solution to limit as much as possible the projections. It's getting really painful.
I have the grab handle and the side bag rack (extremely useful by the way), so the only way seems to be the extension of the rear spash guard, but I didn't find a proper way to make it.

If you have some ideas (materials I could prefectly shape, ideally easily removable) , feel free :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I really need to find a solution to limit as much as possible the projections. It's getting really painful.
I have the grab handle and the side bag rack (extremely useful by the way), so the only way seems to be the extension of the rear spash guard, but I didn't find a proper way to make it.

If you have some ideas (materials I could prefectly shape, ideally easily removable) , feel free :)
How about the Indian Rear Mudguard? :

Rear Mudguard | Indian Motorcycle

·
Rider
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was not compatible with the accessories I already have (the grab handle and the side bag rack), I was wrong.
It's expensive, your are right (I would also consider painting cost to be added) , and I wouldn't say I like it... This is also why I'm looking for a more discrete solution by slightly extending the rear guard, by a few centimeters maybe... But how?

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
Apparently unless I read it wrong to fit the mudguard you need to also buy the accessory mounting kit which is not supplied and I still think as a result it may not work with the messenger bag and grab handle as the latter uses the same mounting point, but I could be wrong?

Used in conjunction with the 'Possum Scraper' standard number plate holder it may work perhaps but if you have a tail tidy don't waste your money on the mud guard. Below is a view looking downward through my rack. I boarded the rack and I still get a bit of shit thrown up on my back. The Indian mudguard without the OEM number plate mount would do next to nothing at all IMHO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Apparently unless I read it wrong to fit the mudguard you need to also buy the accessory mounting kit which is not supplied and I still think as a result it may not work with the messenger bag and grab handle as the latter uses the same mounting point, but I could be wrong?

Used in conjunction with the 'Possum Scraper' standard number plate holder it may work perhaps but if you have a tail tidy don't waste your money on the mud guard. Below is a view looking downward through my rack. I boarded the rack and I still get a bit of shit thrown up on my back. The Indian mudguard without the OEM number plate mount would do next to nothing at all IMHO.

View attachment 573705
Hi K9 could you post a photo of the angle of your tail tidy , I have fitted my MSR tail tidy and the angle seems quite steep however I know you have the same one fitted so I’m just a bit curious as to how yours looks.

Cheers

·
Rider
1,294 Posts
^^^ No worries. Bear in mind several factors must be taken into account when setting up plate angle. Size of plate, weight and suspension set up.

Be careful with your suspension setting up if you mess with it and the angle of your 'mahoosive' UK number plate. I caught mine by scuffing the edge of the plate with the rear tyre when adjusting suspension and plate angle and was damn lucky not to rip the whole kit and kaboodle clean off. My rear number plate illumination LED light assembly is about 5mm off the rear light as a guide. I also have a smaller but still legal size number plate as my number only contains 6 instead of the more common 7 characters. The angle may look acute but with my fat arse of 14 stone on the bike it's fine.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

What projections are painful?
I read this several times and cannot figure what you mean.
Are rocks coming off your tire and hitting you?
Do you mean projectiles?
Or are there parts that are sticking out and bothering you?

I assume you are not referring to rain water....because that wouldn't be painful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^^ No worries. Bear in mind several factors must be taken into account when setting up plate angle. Size of plate, weight and suspension set up.

Be careful with your suspension setting up if you mess with it and the angle of your 'mahoosive' UK number plate. I caught mine by scuffing the edge of the plate with the rear tyre when adjusting suspension and plate angle and was damn lucky not to rip the whole kit and kaboodle clean off. My rear number plate illumination LED light assembly is about 5mm off the rear light as a guide. I also have a smaller but still legal size number plate as my number only contains 6 instead of the more common 7 characters. The angle may look acute but with my fat arse of 14 stone on the bike it's fine.

View attachment 573782

View attachment 573783
Thanks for the pic,s, that is about the same angle as mine and I have 6 characters on my plate as well.
I’m going to get another plate made up with the characters placed down as low as possible and then I will take a check out of the top of the plate where the no plate light is and slide the plate up higher to make more clearance from the tyre.
If I can work out how to post pictures on here I will post some up.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts

View attachment 573782

View attachment 573783
I wish I only weighed 14 stone....lol

Reactions: K9F

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What projections are painful?
I read this several times and cannot figure what you mean.
Are rocks coming off your tire and hitting you?
Do you mean projectiles?
Or are there parts that are sticking out and bothering you?

I assume you are not referring to rain water....because that wouldn't be painful.
Well, water from the road, with sand, soil, whatever comes with it. I need to clean my helmet to remove dirt everytime, which would be fine if I would drive on a flat track circuit ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Well, water from the road, with sand, soil, whatever comes with it. I need to clean my helmet to remove dirt everytime, which would be fine if I would drive on a flat track circuit ?
Would that be stuff from the front tire??
With an itsy bitsy hint of a front fender, it shoots stuff straight in front of you to ride into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts