Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask my dealer how much it will cost me to replace the rear tire on my vintage and he said $386.00. Is it reasonnable price?

·
Founding Member
718 Posts
I just put a Metzeler ME888 180/60R on the rear end. Tucson Indian $224.73

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,223 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ask my dealer how much it will cost me to replace the rear tire on my vintage and he said $386.00. Is it reasonnable price?
No. Even if they thrown in mounting, balancing, changing fee and re-aligning the belt drive (some do, some charge). Their COST on that tire is well under $200. Add mark up, shipping, they are still trying to make a $100 profit on each tire even doing the mounting. Can't blame them for wanting to make money to stay open. But they drive off customers when the price is too high. Then they don't have enough customers and they raise the prices again to make enough money. Instead they could lower their prices, get more people in, including other bikes and eventually make even more money when these people buy other goodies in the shop. It is just common business sense that a lot of them don't seem to pay attention too.
I swear most of these dealerships are run by trust fund guys... they don't have to makes sense.
Am I worried that some Dealership will see this information? Not if you live in Hawaii. I don't think they know this forum exists.

·
Bronze member
2,058 Posts
got a quote from a reputable bike shop for both front and rear for 470, not a Indian dealership of course. they were michelin commander || s, mounted and out the door

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tire alone at Jake Wilson is like $209. $175 or there abouts sounds pretty steep for an install.

·
Bronze member
2,765 Posts
Due to the fact you can't see the back wheel why not put a black tire on much cheeper and more choice.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Charlotte Indian told me $800 to replaced the WhiteWalls on my Vintage... So I'm keeping my Indian Vintage as original as possible...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dealer quoted me $280 + $45 in labor for a new rear tire on my Springfield (nail).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Their shop manual calls for 1.25 hours of labor.
I can't see why it would take that much time to change the rear tire. I did mine and I don't think it took that long.

·
Bronze member
1,636 Posts
I can't see why it would take that much time to change the rear tire. I did mine and I don't think it took that long.
An hour and 15 sounds about right to do a tire, given removal, tire change, balancing, install, & belt alignment. I generally pull the wheels off myself and take them to a shop where it's usually $40 to change and balance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a flat on the rear and they wanted $360 for a replacment tire. Had no option could not get another tire in time. No more dealership tire deals from now on. Same tire on Ebay new is $210. Mounting at local no dealer bike shop was $20. Only good deal about a dealer is they have to re-align the belt drive when they put it back together. Not that big of a deal. Will do it myself from now on. Will save over $200 on front a rear tire sets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got 11,000 miles on my elite 3's. The rear tire is starting to cup, called up the local dealership for a replacement price. They want $340 for the rear tire plus tax and installation ......are you freaking kidding me!! So if you add the tax and labor I would say at least $450......no freaking way!! I went online to JP Cycles, got a set (both tires) of elite 4's for $387 free shipping and tax included. Local Honda shop will install and balance for under 100 bucks.

·
Bronze member
1,868 Posts
One guy the tire shop Mission going to the bar 65 instead of the r60 tire. Said you get a wider tire and it's cheaper what does anyone think about that and or if so what brand? My brand new 17 Roadmaster ran through glass this morning on the way to work and has glass on the side wall with a slow leak so I'm going to need a new tire right off the bat which sucks. Thanks in advance. Or would you go back to the same stop Tire or what

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which dealer? Call Full Throttle Power Sports, 9143 Mission Gorge Rd, Santee, CA. Great prices, good service. Had both tires changed on my Chieftain. 1.5 hrs in and out.

·
Bronze member
1,868 Posts
Yeah here in town at independent shops they're saying around $200 for the same Dunlop 60r Tire. Plus the balance in Mount which is anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks depending on which shop you call so about 300 bucks locally. It was a little bit more than that total at my Indian dealership when I called them in Tallahassee so probably about $320 to $350 out the door.

One local shop said he didn't have that size or the 65 hour which he recommended going to for a wider Tire better traction. He assumed it would work on the Indian Roadmaster but it was not sure. So I was curious if anybody to put a little bit wider Tire on theirs yet

1 - 20 of 39 Posts