Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at dealer getting a new rear tire (Michelin ) the tread looks good but it is flat across the middle and has some cupping. The bike has 11,800 on it at the time. I have been on top of air pressure since new but wondered if this is about avg or maybe due to the dirty bird lowering kit or the first 5000 miles the belt needed to be adjusted and the wheel was a little off straight....
Vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle Car Classic
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,170 Posts
I got 11k on my RM and mine is the same way. Still good on the tread but there is quite a bit of cupping. Does not effect the ride though. Dean

·
Registered
364 Posts
Same here ... 11k on my RM original Dunlop rear tire, plenty of tread and some cupping.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got 12000 miles and went to a cycle tire shop to get it replaced. I was told the tire has lots wear left. The cupping makes a singing noise. He said if I could stand the whining noise he would not recommend changing the tire.

·
4,170 Posts
I've got 12000 miles and went to a cycle tire shop to get it replaced. I was told the tire has lots wear left. The cupping makes a singing noise. He said if I could stand the whining noise he would not recommend changing the tire.
I only hear it when I am in the turns. D

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I got 22,500 miles on my first back tire and could have kept going.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've got the VicBagger version of the lowering kit. Changed tires at 14k miles. No cupping ...normal wear.

P.S. I could spin the rear tire at will while cruising after a light rain. So I changed the OEM set for commanders at 14k

·
4,503 Posts
I had 10k on my rear tire and could have got 17-18k but had a nail problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got about 16,000 out the original rear and 24,000 (just changed it last Friday)out of the front. Never liked Dunlop tires, till now. I went back with the Elite 3, seems to be a good tire, they do wine in the turns though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shy of 10k, no cupping yet. A little flat down the center and I use the edges pretty hard.
How about a contoured burnout pit to reshape the tread?:)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input....I left dealer and went over a road I knew had some dips and heard a noise whenever the rear end compressed like the Michelin tire was hitting so I turned around. It appears they had the belt too tight. The Michelin is just a tiny bit bigger so if you put them on find a few dips to make sure the belt is ok. Later that day I ended up on 95 with a rider without putting more pressure in the rear shocks and started hearing a growling sound about 85 so I will have to keep an eye on this. I had none of the noises before the new rear tire...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Did a search for best tire on Chieftain and the factory Dunlop will handle better in the rain than a Michelin. I ride my Chieftain through the mts in Montana on the wkends from Alberta and these dunlops handle very well at hi speeds I feel quite confident riding into the twisties at 100 mph with these tires. These bikes do handle a bit like a sport bike.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Did a search for best tire on Chieftain and the factory Dunlop will handle better in the rain than a Michelin. I ride my Chieftain through the mts in Montana on the wkends from Alberta and these dunlops handle very well at hi speeds I feel quite confident riding into the twisties at 100 mph with these tires. These bikes do handle a bit like a sport bike.
Had both on my last bike, the Michelin Commander IIs handled better in the rain and all other conditions than any Dunlop tires that I ever had.

>------> >------> >------>

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
395 Posts
How are your brake pads standing up mine are 50 % worn after 50,000 one season
50,000 miles in one season? Or KM? Either way thats a lot of riding. I'll be over 20,000 miles this year and we have a 7 to 8 month riding season.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I gotta agree, I think the Michelins have harder rubber, but I'm not sure. At 63 years old I've bought Dunlop Elites most of my life, and I have been know to ride to fast in the rain and never have had a problem, however a Ford and a Deer did give me problems.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Did 36,000 km from mid July till mid Sept ,running from Alberta south through Montana and Idaho a few times down to Utah.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts