Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from OZ!
I just ordered my first ever Cruiser (had some 20 other bikes of varying types over the years)... a shiny Black Chief Classic with six shooter exhaust, a standard passenger back rest and back ordered a backrest rack. Can't wait to pick it up next week. :)

I bought it to cruise around with my dad on the back, as he can't ride anymore, and, 'cos it's better than any Harley ever made, and, looks and sounds amazing.
Anyways, wanted the boys in the shop to set my suspension up for Dad and I straight up, as I'm planning to suprise him by taking him to the shop to pick it up, but, want the suspension set up right so we can go on a ride straight up, with out bashing through the suspension stroke with every bump.

We are not heavy, but just wondered what you guys have experienced with two up riding and the rear end? Settings?
I am 37 yr old 6'3" 80kg (175lb) and Dad is 6'1" 72kg (158lb).

Cheers.
Can't wait to ride the Thunder!

'14 R1200GSA LC & '14 Chief Classic

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would set the rear air pressure at 60 psi minimum. Combined you are 333 which calls between 48 (325) and 60 (350). The 17 pound difference should account for your helmets and your gear.

Sorry that is for a Chieftain. For a Chief: set sag at CHIEF 35mm. You can look for the free manual download on how to set sag. I am sure the dealer can help you out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Robsmst.
I found the Manual online. I'll ave to get the dealer to help me set it up, as I don't have a jack, and also, want it done before I pick it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cheers Robsmst.
I found the Manual online. I'll ave to get the dealer to help me set it up, as I don't have a jack, and also, want it done before I pick it up. Thanks.

Hello side cover pops off chart for PSI is on back of side cover R M coms with little pump and gage

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
I am 37 yr old 6'3" 80kg (175lb) and Dad is 6'1" 72kg (158lb).

Cheers.
Can't wait to ride the Thunder!

'14 R1200GSA LC & '14 Chief Classic
You don't say when you are picking up the bike but most suspension companies allocate 35 pounds for rider gear (clothing, boots, helmet etc.)

Take it easy on the initial rides as the seals on suspension components are easy to blow out when they are new as they "stick" a bit more than when they are broken in.

Folks are able to blow the seals on Ohlins shocks due to that.

HTH.

WD./

1 - 5 of 5 Posts