Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the instructions on adjusting the rear shock springs. It specifies a certain length of the spring equal on both sides.What detrimental effect would it have if I ratchet them down tighter in an attempt to make rear suspension support more weight with less bounce.

Reactions: Alpal

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would like to know if anyone can inform me on this subject also. I've had situation where my spine was the shock absorber...Ouch!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Fact - like almost every bike I've owned, the suspension out of the box sucks. Worse, it's not really adjustable. Considering that the bike is $11,000, and high quality rear suspension is $600 minimum, what do you expect. Suggestion - take it to a local shop and get them to upgrade it to something like Progressive. There isn't product listed for our bikes yet, but they come in all lengths. If you plan to travel with pillion and/or lots of luggage, spend a little more. We put 444s on the Sporty with great results.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I read the instructions on adjusting the rear shock springs. It specifies a certain length of the spring equal on both sides.What detrimental effect would it have if I ratchet them down tighter in an attempt to make rear suspension support more weight with less bounce.
Go to this YouTube video, It is certainly NOT our Scout, but the measurements are all done the same way.
Our bike adjuster is slightly different than the one shown in the film!

Ours is not adjusted by increments of notches but by adjusting up or down on a nut for tension on the spring and a lock washer.

how to adjust preload and sag on motorcycle - Bing Videos

·
Founding member
568 Posts
I think finding some Progressive shocks would be the fix. They really helped out when I put them on my old heritage. I removed the stock air shocks on my 1600 nomad and replaced w/Progressive and the ride was way better also. I think by springtime, the aftermarket will be flooded with accessories.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Basically the Owners manual says 282mm (11.1 Inches) is the desired length on both sides this means with rider/riders and gear for Preload .. Seems could soften that up a bit for a smoother ride for just Solo around town with minimal gear .. Will be looking into this Just at a Quick Glance I am showing about 11 inches on each side with no weight at all on the Bike which means have a pretty stiff ride but at least no worries on Bottoming out .. Would love to try some 12" Progressives or Ohlins on it, but until I get enough Info that it won't affect the handling characteristics, that I pretty much like pushing through some good sweepers at 80 MPH rock solid feeling secure ..

·
10,006 Posts
Would love to try some 12" Progressives or Ohlins on it, but until I get enough Info that it won't affect the handling characteristics, that I pretty much like pushing through some good sweepers at 80 MPH rock solid feeling secure ..
Amen Brother, I don't seem to have that much trouble with the stock setting on my bike either and I aint no lightweight. :D
A lot better suspension than I have on my Phantom!
Maybe after they get sacked out later on I will look for something better?

The Indian rolls over stuff smoothly, while my Phantom kills my kidneys!
It even has rear shocks AND a springer seat too! LOL!

·
6,027 Posts
Basically the Owners manual says 282mm (11.1 Inches) is the desired length on both sides this means with rider/riders and gear for Preload .. Seems could soften that up a bit for a smoother ride for just Solo around town with minimal gear .. Will be looking into this Just at a Quick Glance I am showing about 11 inches on each side with no weight at all on the Bike which means have a pretty stiff ride but at least no worries on Bottoming out .. Would love to try some 12" Progressives or Ohlins on it, but until I get enough Info that it won't affect the handling characteristics, that I pretty much like pushing through some good sweepers at 80 MPH rock solid feeling secure ..
11 is a tough length for the high-end shocks, but there are several 12s in the Ohlins line-up, including one with remote reservoir. The one they make for the Sportster is probably ideal. Aluminum color body and black springs to blend with the frame. Can probably have the springs powder coated to match the frame.

Progressives are excellent. I think it's a perfect swap with our Sporty (which is in PA right now, so can't experiment).

Having been-there-done-that, I am not concerned at all about compromising the ride or safety.

·
6,027 Posts
One more thought for y'all. Key to good suspension, front and back is adjustability. Most bikes come with none, or very limited, which means the factory tried to guess your weight and riding style, whether you're one or two up. They aim for the average and hope that the range provided by their simple springs takes care of another 50% of us. Expensive suspension, especially rear, brings multiple dimensions of adjustability and the shop that installs it for you will dial it in for you and teach you how to adjust it as riding/rider conditions change. If you're bigger or smaller, if you ride two-up, if you're planning long rides, if you carry lots of luggage, if you're a spirited rider, if you're a nerd who likes to tune and adjust things, if you want bragging rights or any combination of the above, give it a try. It's a very easy install, an hour max and all you need is a scissor jack and simple tools.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks Meggie.

Your absolutely right, can't fault Polaris/Indian for the vast variations that are out there in possible passenger/rider/cargo. Ohlins look like they would fit what I'm looking for so all this preliminary research is very helpful.

·
10,006 Posts
My last custom shock that I ordered was for my Honda Super Hawk, I ordered them from Works Performance and after asking many questions about my weight, riding style, touring, canyon carving, aggressive, passive on and on....

They set up the shocks at the factory for my personal riding style and very little adjustment was needed after I installed them myself.
Usually just pre-load/sag adjustments for trip luggage!
I would buy their product again, I was well pleased.
I think, but are not totally sure that I ordered front springs for the Hawk from Progressive!

The guy I sold the Hawk to sent the rear shocks back in and had them refurbished and set up for himself!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was thinking the Progressive 970s with full adjustment and I was measuring a Scout while sitting on it and they look like they will fit and not touch the rider. Then set them up for the 11.1" seat height when loaded

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Heard some Good Reports on These Guys .. But Right now my Cash Flow is in Sad Shape between Buying the Scout, Accessories and Holiday Season all at once .. But thought that would put it out here for others ..

G3-S Custom Shocks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heard some Good Reports on These Guys .. But Right now my Cash Flow is in Sad Shape between Buying the Scout, Accessories and Holiday Season all at once .. But thought that would put it out here for others ..

G3-S Custom Shocks
The Race Tech Shocks along with the Ohlins are superb shocks but by the time you get them the way you want them you may be paying close to double the Progressive Works Shocks. I am not sure you would be able to tell the difference unless you really are pushing the Scout on a track day session. I just want some compression dampening capability.

Reactions: JayFL459
1 - 20 of 88 Posts