Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried putting the "China only" 43T rear sprocket on (dealer says they can order one)? It would switch the gearing to a 17/43 (i believe the race bike gear) from the stock 17/49 gearing. Would drop highway cruise RPM about 12% which I'd like for a little less buzzy cruise.

Thanks - Greg

·
Silver member
5,120 Posts
I guess it will work just fine, the FTR has an incredibly flexible engine (just make sure you have tools to shorten the chain).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain is easy. Dealer wasn't able to confirm the rear wheel attachment/cush drive is the same or not.

·
Bronze member
1,581 Posts
6 teeth smaller is a HUGE and DRASTIC change in overall ratio. Expect a VERY noticeable loss of torque and acceleration. 3 teeth is more the norm and will make a noticeable but less drastic drop in engine rpm at all road speeds along with a less drastic loss of torque.

Shortening the chain is possible as long as a master link is available for that chain, or just fitting a shorter chain, and many aftermarket chains may be lighter than the stock chain.

I prefer installing a one tooth larger front sprocket if there is room, as a larger front sprocket is almost the same as 3 teeth in the rear and chain wear is less with a larger front sprocket.

And a Chinese sprocket???

RACNRAY

Reactions: tahoe_dave2002

·
Bronze member
1,970 Posts
6t in the rear is similar to the common +1/-2 top speed crotch rockets some times use.

Lugging the engine that much in 6th will be miserable though.

I’m waiting on a -2 rear. To drag out 1/2nd a little more though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
17/43 is a 2.53 17/49 is a 2.88 change is 14% or about 500 RPM change at 60 MPH (roughly 4000 to 3500). About the same as 2T on the front, but I haven't found any alternate front sprockets. I'd prefer a 10-12% change but haven't found other listings for interchanging sprockets.

Does anyone know what the rear sprocket bolt circle diameter and bolt size is off hand? Sprockets are pretty common so there are likely others that would fit, I just don't know which bolt pattern to look for and don't have a large enough caliper to precisely measure the bolt circle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went to an 48 t rear when I did my BST wheel conversion.

It was the largest available at the time.

I would do + 1 , 17 to 18 t in the front if available and if it fits.

Plenty of low end grunt in the lower gears / speed.

I do 80 to 85 mph on the freeway, any way.

If I was concerned about lugging at lower speed, I would just use 5th gear.

BST, 48 T.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,970 Posts
An aluminum sprocket with that much tq will not last.

Superlite, driven and others have have nicely design steel sprockets. Just have to wait to figure out the bolt pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,120 Posts
I actually like the stock gearing, and I don't need a sexy dual sprocket. It's black, round, has teeth. What else do I need?

(and sorry, I'm just too lazy to measure the stock one)

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I actually like the stock gearing, and I don't need a sexy dual sprocket. It's black, round, has teeth. What else do I need?

(and sorry, I'm just too lazy to measure the stock one)
I'm with Ya, I'll just be replacing it when it's time with a dual.. I like the look of them and hey, if I can remove some unsprung weight in the process, cool!
I hope when they are made there will be red and black ones..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts