Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed out the rear shock springs on their bike? I'm a heavier rider (working on lightening that load) and it's been suggested to me by a riding buddy that I might need stiffer springs, and that the dealer might be able to swap them out.

I'm going to start with looking at the pre-load adjustment. If that doesn't do the trick I'm wondering if any of the old hands here have recommendations on how to proceed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know there has been MANY a discussion about shocks previously. Because there is so much great information in the threads, I would recommend you do a search on the board. To much great information to just repeat in one reply. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'd done that previously, but hadn't yet found anything specific regarding spring replacement or heavier riders. I'll keep digging.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
First to change them out you will need a spring compressor that works on M/C springs.
I have never changed out the springs on a bike before, but I have disassembled a few by borrowing the compressor from my local dealer and added shims under the base of the spring to give more compression.
Adding 1/2 to 3/4 inch of shims or wedges will give you more adjust ability for a heavier rider!
Don't ask me how I knew it would work for a "full bodied person"!

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you are changing springs on the stock shock, you will not need a spring compressor. The thread on the shock body is long enough to reach zero spring preload before the adjuster nut runs off the thread.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Your buddy is right. If you are a heavier rider you will get better results from a heavier spring. Tightening down the preload reduces your available travel before you bottom out the shock.

The dealer might or might not be the best person to check with, depending on their real knowledge of suspension rather than the spare parts book. A suspension shop or aftermarket supplier will be able to give better advice about what grade of spring to fit.

And as Worse said, the suspension threads on here will keep you reading for a long time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone changed out the rear shock springs on their bike? I'm a heavier rider (working on lightening that load) and it's been suggested to me by a riding buddy that I might need stiffer springs, and that the dealer might be able to swap them out.

I'm going to start with looking at the pre-load adjustment. If that doesn't do the trick I'm wondering if any of the old hands here have recommendations on how to proceed.
I added preload and it made a big difference. I wonder if the shock can handle a stiffer spring?

·
Bronze member
1,968 Posts
If you really need heavier shock springs,....contact GAZI Suspension.
GAZI has the springs that you may require.

If you are under 275 lbs. then the 2017-18 OEM shocks could/should be adjusted to the pre-load recommendations specified in your owners manual.
The pre-load adjustment should have been performed at the dealership at the time of delivery.

·
Registered
137 Posts

On Friday I installed the Progressive 444's on the rear of my 18 ABS. I was getting tired of the stabbing pains every time i went over any decent sized bump. Riding was indeed painful. No longer. These shocks 100% changed my riding experience. Soooo comfortable. I even gave up looking at seats because the ride is that much batter. I put 200 miles on my bike this weekend and have no ill effects/lasting pain unlike previous. There is no comparrison. Amazing, so worth it. EDIT I am 5'11'' and 200 lbs

·
Registered
955 Posts

what model year is your Scout? If you're up to 2016 the rear spring is pretty heavy anyway so pre-load adjustment may work for you. I found the problem was with the damping. Too weak so I got the pogo stick effect. For me the answer was better shocks with adjustable damping (I went with Hagon).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what model year is your Scout? If you're up to 2016 the rear spring is pretty heavy anyway so pre-load adjustment may work for you. I found the problem was with the damping. Too weak so I got the pogo stick effect. For me the answer was better shocks with adjustable damping (I went with Hagon).
It's a 2016 S60. I've been thinking of giving the pre-load adjustment a try before I drop $$$ on a replacement. I've been bottoming out on rough roads and that's been killing my tailbone. That's the first thing I need to remedy. Damping would be secondary, and more an annoyance than flat out debilitating.

·
Registered
955 Posts
same model & year as me. First step is easy : adjust preload per handbook. Get someone to measure upper to lower (centre to centre) shock bolts while you're sitting geared up as if riding, pack the sidestand so you can sit almost vertical with your feet up. Your target is 282mm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts