Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the Thunder Stroke models models with pneumatic rear shock absorbers, I'll bet that there are many who find it a PIA to have to remove the left side cover just to check the shock pressure, even though it may not require actual adjustment. My own 2016 Roadmaster typically loses it's air very slowly, but often still needs to be pumped back up about every month.

Other riders have posted methods of installing an extended hose and pressure gauge that allows easy, visual checks. I've come up with a way to install a TPMS sensor to the rear shock and a digital readout in the trunk.

The Fox shock absorber has a straight-thread & o-ring to 1/4" 37-degree AN fitting. So I mounted a 1/4" AN "T" that connected the original air hose at one end and then transitioned to 1/8" NPT pipe fittings. A 1/8" NPT Schrader fitting then allowed me to attach the pressure sensor. The digital readout came with a mount to attach it to the handlebar, but I didn't want to see it all of the time. So I made a mount that put the readout on the underside of the trunk lid of my Roadmaster and there is a convenient source of 12 volt power nearby for it.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Technology

Green Gauge Technology Auto part Electronic device

The TPMS system is actually intended to be used to readout tire pressures. And I only used one of the sensors and use much higher pressures than a tire would normally run. So it flashes when I hit the power button because it doesn't like seeing such high pressure and it alternates between the one reading that it receives and four dashes for the missing "tire". Still, it's working well as a reading for the shock absorber and after a week, it hasn't shown any loss in pressure. In fact, the actual reading varies some as a result in temperature changes. When I heat up the garage it rises and in cold temps it drops, just as expected with such a small volume and relatively high pressure.

Auto part Wire Electrical wiring Technology Engine

It's TIGHT under the seat! The 37-degree AN to 1/8" NPT adapter fitting and 1/8" NPT elbow adds bulk. So I had to mount the sensor so it's protruding down and forward. But that doesn't effect it's ability to transmit to the readout in the trunk. The red arrow in the above photo is pointing to the Schrader mounted pressure transmitter. (adding a note to anyone considering doing this or any project in which you connect stainless steel fittings: ALWAYS use an anti-seize paste on the threads so the mated parts don't gall)

NOW I can see what the shock pressure is without having to remove the left side cover.

Cliff-Top TPMS system: # M2 RX
Amazon.com: Cliff-Top Waterproof Motorcycle DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with External Sensor LCD Display: Automotive

1 - 2 of 2 Posts