Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine normal behavior for the air shock on the rear of my '17 RM. It has a slow leak, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I put 100 pounds of air in it last weekend, and this weekend it's down to 50 without being ridden. Should I expect some amount of air leakage? If so, how much is normal?

Thanks,

John J
2017 Roadmaster

·
Registered
578 Posts
No, not normal to loose 50psi in a week. I would look for leaks at the schrader valve and where the hose goes into the shock. That much air loss you should see bubbles if you soap the connections. You may have a bladder leak.

Reactions: Bobbybhb

·
Silver member
4,648 Posts
I'm trying to determine normal behavior for the air shock on the rear of my '17 RM. It has a slow leak, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I put 100 pounds of air in it last weekend, and this weekend it's down to 50 without being ridden. Should I expect some amount of air leakage? If so, how much is normal?

Thanks,

John J
2017 Roadmaster
I had issues with my 2016 leaking down a little faster than yours. Dealer was going to replace the Fox shock, but I never got around to it and was not convinced that was the problem

A few months ago I got bored had wanted to address the shock leak down. I decided to add a small compressor that I had from a Legion air system for my HD and design a controller to keep the shock at certain preset levels. I changed out the factory fill hose and replaced with 4mm lines and fittings. Got it all done and noticed the darn thing never leaks...not even one pound over a month.

Long story short, the factory fill hose was the problem. I would consider replacing with good quality line and fittings.

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
My '16 shock also leaked out it's air. Sometimes it took a week to loose 10 pounds. Other times it went FLAT in a couple of days. I did multiple leak detection efforts and found a couple tiny leaks and fixed them. But the leakage never stopped.
So I bought a non-air shock from a fellow Chief rider and installed it. The leakage is, of course, gone but the shock spring is too soft, requiring that the preload be cranked down a lot. I've got a new, stiffer spring from Fox sitting on the work bench. But the weather is too nice, so I may ride througfh the season with the cranked-down spring and change it out in the winter.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Aired up from flat 4 days ago. It was empty this morning.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
Was flat again after a 2 hour ride this morning. Replaced the Schrader valves, flat again in 2 hours. Ordered new fittings this morning. Hopefully that will work. If not, the problem is my shock itself. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't had good luck with air shocks. I've had air shocks or air forks in a few bikes, the only one that stayed at the right pressure for a few weeks was an old Vulcan 1500

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine slowly leaks down over time sitting, but nothing drastic. But, I was doing some further testing yesterday and found with the air gauge I use, it will lose 7lbs just removing the gauge from checking it! So, I like 25lbs for solo riding my Chieftan and now I know to put 32 in and check it just once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts