Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm positive there are old posts regarding the rear shock adjustments, but I'm having some issues. I seemed to have gotten loose over the last 250 miles or so. I decided to look at the adjustments on the rear shocks, checked the manual at it says the shocks center to center of the attachment bolts should be 275 mm. I convert that to 10 53/64, break that down to 10 6.25/8". I for some reason cannot achieve that measurement no matter where on the threads I land. My question is I know all the way down is fully firm, kind of like slapping the butt with a 2x4, and all the way up is like riding on a sponge on a frozen pond. On a 2019 Scout sixty with a solo rider weighing 205lbs and only 5'9", where in your experiences should the lock rings be ideally located? And, am I screwing up in my thinking of the process?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I usually have the top of my lock rings on the fifth or sixth thread from the top... test it out and if you need to adjust it some more, try two threads at a time so you can notice the difference easier and dial it back a single thread if needed for fine tuning.

·
Registered
388 Posts
These are 2017 shocks on my 2016 Scout 60 it was set when I was app 180 lbs in full gear. The specs call on my bike for 282 mm, not 250. So I compress the springs less and have lost 10 lbs since, but still like the ride. What is that, 2-1/2 to 3 threads? You'd probably need 5-8 threads with your weight and getting to 250 mm. Try it and good luck

Reactions: WENDIGO

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd give the stock shocks a miss and go straight for the Fox shocks. My ride was uncomfortable (to say the least) before I switched. The Fox shocks are much easier (and more precise) to adjust. Expensive but worth every penny I spent on them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually have the top of my lock rings on the fifth or sixth thread from the top... test it out and if you need to adjust it some more, try two threads at a time so you can notice the difference easier and dial it back a single thread if needed for fine tuning.
Sorry for the late reply, thanks I was definitely misunderstanding what the manual was saying. My rings must of come loose and traveled to the last ring. Sure made for a not so fun ride.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are 2017 shocks on my 2016 Scout 60 it was set when I was app 180 lbs in full gear. The specs call on my bike for 282 mm, not 250. So I compress the springs less and have lost 10 lbs since, but still like the ride. What is that, 2-1/2 to 3 threads? You'd probably need 5-8 threads with your weight and getting to 250 mm. Try it and good luck
View attachment 604540
View attachment 604541
Thats about where mine were and I was all over the place after 40mph. I was screwing up and tightened my rings almost all the way back - thats a whole different kind of ride there. Knew I screwed up in less than 50 feet.
Thanks for the pics, gave me a solid visual on where I should be.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd give the stock shocks a miss and go straight for the Fox shocks. My ride was uncomfortable (to say the least) before I switched. The Fox shocks are much easier (and more precise) to adjust. Expensive but worth every penny I spent on them.
I'm looking to trade it in, in about 6 months. So I'm not really wanting to put more money into her just to trade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts