Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home from a 250 mile ride on Thursday, I noticed that the rear bolt on the luggage rack was missing, and so the rack was loose. It certainly wasn't missing when I stopped for lunch, and I'd have thought I'd have seen the bolt working loose over a period of time; and with it pointing downwards into the fender it wouldn't easily fall out. The only moment when someone could have removed the bolt, perhaps in the hope of lifting off the rack and the luggage, would have been when I stopped for gas, but that was no more than 5 minutes in a very conspicuous place, and they would have needed the right Allan key to hand.

Thankfully, I had a bolt and washer of the right size in stock, and was able to fashion a neoprene washer to go between the rack and the fender from an off-cut left over from making the front mud-flap. So, it's been an easy fix. But, I am surprised and somewhat baffled.

That said, at 6,600 miles, the Scout 60 is now consistently returning over 60mpg, is running smoothly and handling beautifully - in the dry at least. This is one great motorcycle!

·
Registered
955 Posts
think you'll find the bolt came off while riding and it's now lodged in someone's rear tire! ... woah, have you checked your rear tire?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just dab some blue locktite on and I don't think you'll lose another. Short sorry, I had a foot peg fall apart (Suzuki vs800) while riding down i85 a few year's back. I was cruising along when all of a sudden my foot shot out like the peg was made of ice. I brought my foot back just in time to catch the rubber part. I ended up using some skateboard hardware to fix it along side of the highway. Used locktite when I got home and all was well. Got to try and keep an eye out for loose bolts.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Locktite is your best buddy.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
You're getting a consistent 60mpg?

I've gotten 58-62 mpg, but there are so many owners that I've come across that claim 27-48mpg max!

Most of them don't have more than 2K miles and don't believe that GOOD MILEAGE is possible with the Scouts.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
You're getting a consistent 60mpg?

I've gotten 58-62 mpg, but there are so many owners that I've come across that claim 27-48mpg max!

Most of them don't have more than 2K miles and don't believe that GOOD MILEAGE is possible with the Scouts.
Well, you have just explained how/why you have no issue with the kenda tires! Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts