Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chieftain Limited, 2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a bit confused with trying to nail down what parts would interchange with my 2017 Chieftain Limited and other Indian motorcycles. What I need are just the rear brake reservoir cover and related gasket. Also, I prefer to have the cover already finished in DH paint so I don’t have to have it powder coated. I made the mistake of using a Kuryakyn cover, and over time, it leaked. Also, the gasket is now warped, which won’t provide the proper seal. I’ve searched throughout my various part bins and can’t find the original. I’ve done numerous comparisons on Indian’s website and can’t see where there’s any difference in the parts. I’m stunned by the price listed for my Limited, but for what appears to be the same part for a DH, it’s considerably less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m a bit confused with trying to nail down what parts would interchange with my 2017 Chieftain Limited and other Indian motorcycles. What I need are just the rear brake reservoir cover and related gasket. Also, I prefer to have the cover already finished in DH paint so I don’t have to have it powder coated. I made the mistake of using a Kuryakyn cover, and over time, it leaked. Also, the gasket is now warped, which won’t provide the proper seal. I’ve searched throughout my various part bins and can’t find the original. I’ve done numerous comparisons on Indian’s website and can’t see where there’s any difference in the parts. I’m stunned by the price listed for my Limited, but for what appears to be the same part for a DH, it’s considerably less.
From the Indian parts fiche:
2205744 (reservoir cover, gasket, decal and screws): fits Chief DH 2016; Chieftain / Chieftain DH / Roadmaster 2016; Chieftain Elite / Limited, 2017. Price - $294.
2205154 (reservoir cover, gasket, decal and screws): fits all Chiefs, 2014-2017; all Chieftains and Roadmasters, 2015-2017 (except the Elite / Limited); Springfield, 2016-2017. Price - $115.

However, the physical dimensions of both cover kits should be the same, as the brake reservoirs are the same. I'm ASSUMING that only the finish on the covers will be different, hence the different part numbers?

·
Registered
2017 Chieftain Limited, 2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the Indian parts fiche:
2205744 (reservoir cover, gasket, decal and screws): fits Chief DH 2016; Chieftain / Chieftain DH / Roadmaster 2016; Chieftain Elite / Limited, 2017. Price - $294.
2205154 (reservoir cover, gasket, decal and screws): fits all Chiefs, 2014-2017; all Chieftains and Roadmasters, 2015-2017 (except the Elite / Limited); Springfield, 2016-2017. Price - $115.

However, the physical dimensions of both cover kits should be the same, as the brake reservoirs are the same. I'm ASSUMING that only the finish on the covers will be different, hence the different part numbers?
Thanks for your research. I had help from the parts/service manager at my dealership with ordering replacement parts. Although the OEM cap is chrome, I’ll just have it powder coated, and finish the custom look with an Indian warbonnet pin. Here’s how the reservoir for the front brake looks.
White Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts