Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my chieftain limited, This past weekend, decided to upgrade front fairing speakers to powerband, sounds pretty good until highway speeds at 65 plus,
Now, Thinking of doing rear lids with poweband etc and just complete the powerband system.
Wondering if Anyone else has done all 4 especially after starting off with just the front upgrades??
If so is it worth ??
opinions appreciated :)

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, decided to do it, especially with the $500 off Accessories from Polaris etc.
Paid it up in full waiting for the dealership to get my lids and super excited to hear how awesome it should sound.... Stay tuned !

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
I hope your not dissapointed.
You wont hear the rears much at all.
I have good hearing and wear a open ear halfy.
It does fill sound in a bit when riding parade speed but after that I cant hear it.
You wont either.
The bass is anemic and lacks.
Some others here will dissagree with what I am saying here.
I dont care less but for me not worth the exorbant cost.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I appreciate it your honest opinion when I had achieved in back in 15 I went from front only to added rear, And you’re right it feels in the sound then when I had to Springfield I had a real lives that was better than nothing and I’m hoping that this will be an improvement since I have the front power bands and you’re right at highway speed’s unless you know the song on the radio reception is another story I’m in New York City and it sucks win nothing I listen to the radio much mostly iTunes Spotify Pandora but I’m hoping with the rears at least I can enjoy it a little bit more got $500 off on the coupon so I figured I do it anyway thanks a lot

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
We also got the 500 off.
It doesnt take up any room on your bike.
Also the finished bags the look is real clean.
But those grills thru indian for 419.00 are just overpriced out of this world.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree and I was curious about how much room the speakers take up I’m glad to hear they don’t take up much.
I have a 19 chieftain in Ruby red so I did the grills in with glossy black I thought it was a good time will taiI have a 19 chieftain in Ruby red so I did the grills in with glossy black I thought it was a good time will tell
How do you like the overall sound ?

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Its ok
I will give it that but being totally honest.
We have JES lowers stopping the wind helmet buffeting. Freedom screen, open half helmet.
I can hear the fronts but not backs.
Basically still sounds like a boom box lacking bass.
You excitement and thoughts are exactly where mine were before we got it installed.
Was not blown away by the sound when we did hear it all together and you wont be unless your ears are made of Tin.
Loud yes, full range sound spectrum, no.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a 18 limited with a tourpak and no rear speakers. I tour with my wife and she says she can hear the radio perfectly clear back there. Hell at 80 mph I have no problem at all. But maybe your wearing a full helmet also

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Its ok
I will give it that but being totally honest.
We have JES lowers stopping the wind helmet buffeting. Freedom screen, open half helmet.
I can hear the fronts but not backs.
Basically still sounds like a boom box lacking bass.
You excitement and thoughts are exactly where mine were before we got it installed.
Was not blown away by the sound when we did hear it all together and you wont be unless your ears are made of Tin.
Loud yes, full range sound spectrum, no.
Wow that’s kind of upsetting did you try changing the frequency spectrum with the equalizer?
I hope it’s not to tinny and I also hope it doesn’t distort when I crank it at 11?

Also, wondering why when you raise the volume to any specific number let’s say 8 for example It will stay on eight for like three or four clicks up and then move to the next number up almost like it has a volume range within each number.. you guys finding that as well?

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
What year is your Chieftain?
I dont know with the upgraded powerband fronts thats pretty much what you hear are the fronts.
Running mine at 7 is pretty loud and wouldnt need any louder.
There is an auto loudness , low med high which raises volume as speed increases.
Putting it up all the way is still very clear but again no lower end.
The system plays loud and clear with vitually no distorsion

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put the bag speakers on my Challenger. Can't say that I hear them at all. I love the look, but there's other things to spend that coin on IMO.
Definitely happy with the upgrade on the fairing.

LIVE, LOVE & RIDE OUT LOUD!

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I’m now getting a bit discouraged I have the front speaker powerband upgrades sound good at low speeds but once highway speeds, eeehhhh, so figured rear powerbands will be an improvement?
As for the radio reception, that’s another story, basically sucks!!
I’m in nyc and it should be decent but....
Was gonna do a search for different antennas....

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Sorry you are getting discouraged.
We are just being totally honest.
If I would of got the info that you are getting here now I would not have spent the money on the rears for sure.
The finished look is really refined and looks nice but for bookoo dollars.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s all good, I have a 19 Limited. Ruby Rws ordered the black metallic gloss grills, I’m sure will look great.
I did have a 15 chieftain ans when I added the tears I was able to “ complete the sound” to my liking. I get that adding the rears won’t increase bass but...Will keep everyone posted 👍🏻

·
Registered
157 Posts
Experience with my 2017 RM with Std Speakers and Ride Command.
I've found that clarity and bass varies hugely, dependent on Sound Source and Graphic Equaliser settings.
I wear a full face Shoei lid with earplugs and I found that recording .mp3 music to the USB stick (at hi-gain levels if possible) attached directly to the bikes USB in the fairing gives easily the best sound. Playing with the Graphic EQ then added the bass and clarity for 70mph listening.
Hope that helps 😊

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What year is your Chieftain?
I dont know with the upgraded powerband fronts thats pretty much what you hear are the fronts.
Running mine at 7 is pretty loud and wouldnt need any louder.
There is an auto loudness , low med high which raises volume as speed increases.
Putting it up all the way is still very clear but again no lower end.
The system plays loud and clear with vitually no distorsion
It’s 2019, looking forward to getting them and just riding and riding.....
TBH this is my 7 or 8 Indian so I know all the bikes pretty well 😉

·
Registered
187 Posts
When you upgraded the fairing speakers, your EQ should've automatically been increased to 9 band.
At 70+ I can clearly hear my Pandora at level 5/6.
My Challenger speaks are 6-1/2 though.

Ride On!

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you upgraded the fairing speakers, your EQ should've automatically been increased to 9 band.
At 70+ I can clearly hear my Pandora at level 5/6.
My Challenger speaks are 6-1/2 though.

Ride On!
Yes, it upgraded to the nine band equalizer with a different pre-set frequency responses, took 100 mile ride today and noticed that using iTunes different songs have different volume levels sometimes I have to read it sometimes I have to lower.

The one thing no one‘s really answered here is have you all noticed that on volume six ( for example) you can go up a few clicks with the volume control and it’s still at six and then moves on to seven if you click on seven same thing ans so on and so forth...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts