Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting a set of Rear Highway Bars for my 2018 Chieftain DH, so I went to our friendly Indian website, Rear Highway Bars - Gloss Black | Indian Motorcycle. Found a set in black for $309.99. Being the inquisitive fella I am, I went to eBay and searched for a set. I found these for $59.93: Rear Highway Bars For Indian Chief Chieftain 2014-2019 Dark Horse 2016-2019 2018 | eBay.

My question is “What the hell Indian?” That’s just plain highway robbery. I can buy the same Highway bars for 1/5th of what Indian is asking.

Anyone else have similar experience with trying to buy accessories from the MOCO?

Bubba

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pay attention, there is knock off bars out there. Have a customer in the shop with those knock offs on his bike now.
They are a smaller diameter, thinner metal, shitty welds. They look and feel like if the bike goes down the bars will just fold over and not do what they are designed to do

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pay attention, there is knock off bars out there. Have a customer in the shop with those knock offs on his bike now.
They are a smaller diameter, thinner metal, shitty welds. They look and feel like if the bike goes down the bars will just fold over and not do what they are designed to do

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks much. That explains it a little, but still they ought to not cost $309 even with better welds and larger pipe.

Bubba

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was looking at getting a set of Rear Highway Bars for my 2018 Chieftain DH, so I went to our friendly Indian website, Rear Highway Bars - Gloss Black | Indian Motorcycle. Found a set in black for $309.99. Being the inquisitive fella I am, I went to eBay and searched for a set. I found these for $59.93: Rear Highway Bars For Indian Chief Chieftain 2014-2019 Dark Horse 2016-2019 2018 | eBay.

My question is “What the hell Indian?” That’s just plain highway robbery. I can buy the same Highway bars for 1/5th of what Indian is asking.

Anyone else have similar experience with trying to buy accessories from the MOCO?

Bubba
TCMT from Amazon are good bars. You will pay about $80 and if you can tell the difference between those and bars from the Indian website you have a special talent. I have Factory front crash and TCMT rear and I can not tell any difference.

·
Rider
363 Posts
TCMT from Amazon are good bars. You will pay about $80 and if you can tell the difference between those and bars from the Indian website you have a special talent. I have Factory front crash and TCMT rear and I can not tell any difference.
The welds on the TCMT bars actually are nicer than Indians . Bought a set for my Chieftain with no regrets .If they do their job just once then they are paid for and I'll get another set .

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Bubba57 I went the same way for the same reasons. $59 perfect match to my partners RM. on and done in 15 minutes perfect fit. Same reason I put the Harley tourpak on my bike. Indian was$3500 plus tax lol I told them I want 1 not 3 ! $980 from HD bigger and 25lbs lighter. All these yrs I thought HD was raping me to find out they were actually kissing me with a reach around :D mine are exactly the same as Indians TCMT bars

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I found them for $59 last year

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have these as well. money well SAVED.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve always been a strong believer in that you pay for what you get.
That makes no sense. Are you saying you shouldn’t shop around and just pay the highest asking price because it’s gotta be quality? Personally, I don’t mind paying for accessories, but I don’t want to get raped doing it. Kinda like them $39.99 Harley T-shirts where you're paying for the Harley name.

Bubba

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
That makes no sense. Are you saying you shouldn’t shop around and just pay the highest asking price because it’s gotta be quality? Personally, I don’t mind paying for accessories, but I don’t want to get raped doing it. Kinda like them $39.99 Harley T-shirts where you're paying for the Harley name.

Bubba
I always shop around ,in a lot of cases some of the stuff you think is Genuine ,may well be the case but still made in China. Does not mean in every case the Chinese ones are a lesser quality . Regardless if they are crap after r you buy them it is a cheap way to throw them of sell them to someone ,who will always be happy with them regardless of quality. I bought cheap Highways pegs from Ebay from China ,with no brand name and they look so close to another major brand I wont mention , the difference was $110.00 AUD against the $440.00AUD for the one ones. I have had no issues with the cheaper ones .

·
Silver member
3,863 Posts
I’ve always been a strong believer in that you pay for what you get.
That's true, sometimes. I got a set for about $60 and they are stout, good welds and chrome, and they fit perfectly. No doubt they are "imported" .... and from the same Asian country that makes them for Indian. Indian brand is about X6 the cost of after market. Is the Indian brand really x6 stronger or better in any way? No... not even close.

Motorcycle stuff/extras is a lot like boat stuff/extras.... bend over and take it like a man LOL.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's true, sometimes. I got a set for about $60 and they are stout, good welds and chrome, and they fit perfectly. No doubt they are "imported" .... and from the same Asian country that makes them for Indian. Indian brand is about X6 the cost of after market. Is the Indian brand really x6 stronger or better in any way? No... not even close.

Motorcycle stuff/extras is a lot like boat stuff/extras.... bend over and take it like a man LOL.
I agree. My point in starting this thread was to highlight how preposterous the Indian prices were for these crash bars. No way in hell are those bars worth $309. I can buy a full size front crash bar for a Harley for less. Indian is trying to make too much money on individual sales when in effect they are driving away consumers. Look at what they want for exhaust tips $204 - $309. That’s just crazy.

Bubba

·
Silver member
3,863 Posts
I agree. My point in starting this thread was to highlight how preposterous the Indian prices were for these crash bars. No way in hell are those bars worth $309. I can buy a full size front crash bar for a Harley for less. Indian is trying to make too much money on individual sales when in effect they are driving away consumers. Look at what they want for exhaust tips $204 - $309. That’s just crazy.

Bubba
Yep, $200 for thin tin fishtail tips. Don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, $200 for thin tin fishtail tips. Don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes:
LOL. I want a set of those for my Chieftain DH, but not at highway robbery prices. I played the “buy accessories at all costs” game with my Harleys and don’t play that no more (sold too many of them and got no return for accessories).

Bubba

·
Silver member
3,863 Posts
LOL. I want a set of those for my Chieftain DH, but not at highway robbery prices. I played the “buy accessories at all costs” game with my Harleys and don’t play that no more (sold too many of them and got no return for accessories).

Bubba
Same here. I look for doo-dads here on the for sale forum and have gotten a few good deals. I've ridden HD for many years and done the same... used or after market.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think the quality of the TCMT bars are hit and miss. I bought them. Looking at them mounted on the bike you can’t tell a difference in them from Indian but if you look closely and run your hand along the bars you can see and feel the imperfections in the chrome. But you really have to look closely to see it.

Your mileage may vary.....

My philosophy is if you want to save money and have decent looking bars installed go aftermarket. If you want the best quality and you don’t care about price by the Indian bars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Bubba57 I’ve been on Harley since 74 and never wore their clothing. My thoughts on that are the same with everything I’ve owned. You want me to advertise you pay me I don’t pay you I payed you to much when I bought the bike. Even my cars I tell the dealers do not put that sticker anywhere on my car for your dealership it’s my car pull that shit off. I hate that stuff on my car. But to each their own. We get club shirts made up for $16 apiece no way any dealer can justify those prices just like indians parts. Totally out of line when your more then Harley lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts