Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2016 scout, and have noticed a crack in my rear fender just below the taillight. I think it’s from the license plate bracket vibrating. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice on remedies for this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would stop drill it with a small drill bit like a #50-#60. then take a bigger drill (#40) bit by hand and deburr it. put a piece of clear tape where you are going to drill and that will stop any paint from chipping. Then if you want put a little bit of JB Weld on the inside of the fender to "patch it up".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would stop drill it with a small drill bit like a #50-#60. then take a bigger drill (#40) bit by hand and deburr it. put a piece of clear tape where you are going to drill and that will stop any paint from chipping. Then if you want put a little bit of JB Weld on the inside of the fender to "patch it up".

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
I would check with your dealer. This is not common. Indian might replace it in good faith. Warranty or not...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pablo94, I am going to contact the dealer tomorrow. I was kinda thinking the same as you are. It seems like it would be uncommon, for a license plate bracket to crack a fender, but that’s the only cause I’m coming up with

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my solution
It looks like yours cracked in almost the same spot. This has to be a thing with these bikes. I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer/Indian. Thanks for the picture. It might help back up my claim. Also, thanks for sharing your solution.

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
If you end up fixing it, I would weld some flat steel behind the crack and reinforce the fender. We had to do that with 99-2001 Indian Chief rear fenders for a similar reason...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts