Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started out Sunday from North Carolina heading to the Florida keys everything was great until last night we got into West Palm near Miami ANF the engine light came on, shifting perfect, no changes in RPM' S, sound of motor, or anything. Felt the cylinders, nothing was " unusually" hot. Found a spot to camp, woke up went to the store & the rear cylinder was too hot to touch. Engine light is still on. Called indian dealer that's an hour from here and they charge $130 JUST TO HOOK IT UP & DIAGNOSE... I'm on here in hopes to find a possible reason/solution without forking out that much money for a diagnosis. Any advice would help

·
Registered
219 Posts
We started out Sunday from North Carolina heading to the Florida keys everything was great until last night we got into West Palm near Miami ANF the engine light came on, shifting perfect, no changes in RPM' S, sound of motor, or anything. Felt the cylinders, nothing was " unusually" hot. Found a spot to camp, woke up went to the store & the rear cylinder was too hot to touch. Engine light is still on. Called indian dealer that's an hour from here and they charge $130 JUST TO HOOK IT UP & DIAGNOSE... I'm on here in hopes to find a possible reason/solution without forking out that much money for a diagnosis. Any advice would help
What's your ride?and what are you running stock pipes? Did you have cat removed? Stage 1 exhaust?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2015 indian chief classic 111, I'm not sure on pipes, it's a 2nd hand bike but it's 1833cc and I was told there was a stage kit in it so I'm sure something was done to it.

·
Rider
1,213 Posts
Called indian dealer that's an hour from here and they charge $130 JUST TO HOOK IT UP & DIAGNOSE...
Basically every shop in existence will charge you a base labor rate to diagnose a problem. They have to take time to look into a problem and they get paid by the minute. If it's something within warranty, then it'll get covered. If it's not, it's up to the customer to cover the cost. Don't know why you are shouting that out.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Remove the right muffler ,put a broom stick in there,if it stopped at 16 inches.drill that out,that's your problem .if it keeps going past 2 foot,then get a fuel controller,and add more fuel.(richen the mixture).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically every shop in existence will charge you a base labor rate to diagnose a problem. They have to take time to look into a problem and they get paid by the minute. If it's something within warranty, then it'll get covered. If it's not, it's up to the customer to cover the cost. Don't know why you are shouting that out.
Because my indian shop at home doesn't charge a dime to plug it up to get a code. $130 is highway robbery!

·
Bronze member
5,085 Posts
2015 indian chief classic 111, I'm not sure on pipes, it's a 2nd hand bike but it's 1833cc and I was told there was a stage kit in it so I'm sure something was done to it.
It depends on what stage number. Stage 1 is free flowing AC and pipes. Stage 2 is that plus cams. Neither should cause overheating.

If the problem has suddenly emerged it might be a bad batch of fuel. Top up with new fuel and perhaps some fuel system cleaner. Things get hot when they run too lean and bad fuel can mean the computer picks up a firing problem and tries to adjust the trimming for the air/fuel ratio.

You can scroll through the liquid crystal readout to get an error code, but the code is lost when you turn the bike off. Run the bike to see if the error light appears, stop riding but don't turn off the ignition. Scroll through until you get the code. It will be a pair of two numbers.

There's a phone app that tells you what the codes mean so you know where the problem is. It's called Indian Diagnostics.

Here's a sample of the error codes. These ones will show up as 110 for the general area and 3 or 4 etc as the specific thing.

110 Engine Temperature Sensor
3 Voltage Too High On
4 Voltage Too Low On
2 Signal Out of Range On
10 Abnormal Rate of Change On
16 Temperature Too High Off
0 Engine Overheat Shutdown Off
15 Temperature above normal range Off
17 Temperature Too Low On

·
Rider
1,213 Posts
Because my indian shop at home doesn't charge a dime to plug it up to get a code. $130 is highway robbery!
The shop is losing money, but in turn being nice to you. Which is cool for you.

The shop I was at charged a mandatory 30mins labor for hooking a bike up to the digital wrench. It's not fair to the techs to not charge a shop rate. They make their money on time logged.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've heard other riders complain that the rear cylinder overheats when doing the stage 1 upgrade they complained that they all thought the switch to the heated seat was stuck in the on position because the seat was hot,this was because the rear cylinder was overheating,the stage 1 card that the dealership does with the air cleaner is EPA complient so its making your engine burn lean causing alot of excess heat,most people I know put in a fuel management system,dynojet,Dobec,or something to richen up the fuel system and that's the end of the heat issue. Definitely find out what the engine code is saying is though.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
974 Posts
Yeah I figured that but was hoping they would at least return to let us know. Oh well. Seems selfish. Doesn't it?

Thanks!

·
Bronze member
5,085 Posts
Frank and Tiffany have ridden into the Bermuda Triangle. They've had to move it inland because of all the plastic pollution that was building up out on the ocean and clogging up the disappearance function. :)

·
Bronze member
3,954 Posts
Yeah I figured that but was hoping they would at least return to let us know. Oh well. Seems selfish. Doesn't it?

Thanks!

All too often people joing forums to ask questions and find solutions to problems, then are never heard from again. No worries if they don't want to participate, but at least tell us the fix or solution so we can help others as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys, I don't get notified about comments. We rode home, caught the flu, went back to reality but don't have a solution yet. There are 3 codes, o2 sensor for front and rear cylinder and the 3rd is a chassis code. Will update once we get to make it to the shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But the bike has been running just fine. No problems home except the engine light. I'm thinking it is possibly just bad fuel (hopefully)

·
Rider
974 Posts
What were the codes you got? Also I don't think that bad fuel would cause it to act that way unless you put diesel in it or some other fuel. E85 might cause a problem like you have described as well. Anything over 10% ethanol would not be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts