Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rider
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Rear cylinder heat shields increase rear head temps?

I hear these devices work pretty well to reduce heat to the riders right leg. Does the device increase head temps? It looks like it rides very low on the rear head, concerned about rear head temps, the Chieftain does have an oil cooler.

I am adding a Rinehart Slimline dual exhaust, Rinehart Slip-on muffler, and VooDoo intake, along with Indian Stage 2 cams, will the parts reduce engine temps to a point where I wont have to consider the rear cylinder heat shield for my leg?

*Maybe this a try the parts first and see situation?*

Thank you for any thoughts!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
There was a thread on here awhile back where a member's rear head had failed (I forget the exact issue), and the dealer (and Polaris) had blamed excessive heat trapped by the CICC. There are also members here who have thousands of miles on their bikes with a CICC installed and have had no issues.

I ran one for about a year, and then removed it after I replaced the head pipe with a gutted cat. I did notice that, if I lifted the CICC up by hand, I could feel a lot of heat coming out. I also noticed that, after awhile, the leather conformed to the shape of the head and did not really "lift up" at cruising speeds anymore.

I think it is a case of YMMV as to whether or not the heat that is trapped by the CICC will cause actual damage. I suppose one way to determine would be to take temperature readings of the rear heads of bikes with and without the CICC that had been ridden approximately the same amount of time, had the same mods (if any), and as similar riding style as possible, and then compare the readings to see if there is a significant difference, and if the heat trapped under the CICC was hot enough to cause damage in the long term.

Reactions: Kost

·
Rider
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts were the raised head temps from the device may not be the best idea to use it. All my riding is on the highway, since I don't ride at low speeds/in town, I feel like I should be able to deal with the rear head heat hitting my leg, I wont use this device.

Thank you so much for your reply Kitulu
!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you want to use a heat shield I found the best compromise is the one made by Kuryakyn. Could offer some protection plus allows the rear cylinder to breathe.

It works for me. Only downside is it makes it a little more difficult to take the side panels off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to use a heat shield I found the best compromise is the one made by Kuryakyn. Could offer some protection plus allows the rear cylinder to breathe.

It works for me. Only downside is it makes it a little more difficult to take the side panels off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like mine 2014 cheiftian. it stopped my leg burn.Had them on st glide,dina super glide also.they work...

Sent from my SM-J737R4 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,039 Posts
Disclaimer: This is just MY opinion and no offense meant to anyone.

I think the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler hides the most beautiful part of the Thunderstroke 111 engine. I realize they have a purpose and are more cost-effective to mitigate heat vs decatting or replace OEM headers. I just don't like covering the beautiful design of the Thunderstroke 111. Plus, you're just putting a bandaid on the heat problem instead of curing the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts