Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth buying a 2019 versus a 2018 because of the rear cyl deactivation???

Does it really work to cool things down a bit?

I'm at the point of buying a 2018 Springfield or a 2019 Springfield dark Horse white smoke, with just a few thousand separating the two, Sooooo what say you, worth it or not or a non issue?

Thanks!

Sam:)

·
Rider
439 Posts
By itself, probably not. With drive mode... maybe. I have to say on my 2019 chief I don't have any heat issues but I don't have a 2018 to compare it to.

I think it'd come down to pricing.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Buy the 19 or the 20, unless they are giving you a smoking good deal on the older stock. Good things come to those who are patient. I waited one year to purchase an older model - a bike that I really liked. A 2017 model I purchased in 2018. More than a $4,000 discount plus a few other extras thrown in to sweeten the deal further.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Buy the 19 or the 20, unless they are giving you a smoking good deal on the older stock. Good things come to those who are patient. I waited one year to purchase an older model - a bike that I really liked. A 2017 model I purchased in 2018. More than a $4,000 discount plus a few other extras thrown in to sweeten the deal further.
I'm really curious that how you guys negotiate or seal a good deal. I think I got nothing special than minor discout, no sweet extra. I'm not originally from the US so I don't know how to make it work here.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
First, find a motivated seller who has what you want. Do your homework to know what the market range is. The US is a huge marketplace. I don't know the conditions where you live. Then start a dialogue and figure out how far you can push the deal. Find out what the motivating factors are and push all those buttons. Managers and business owners are there to move product. Help them to meet their objectives, while also meeting yours. There are a lot of subtle tricks here related to the business. Timing can mean a lot. Pick end of week, end of month, end of quarter, end of year model, etc..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Know what you want, know what it is worth to yourself and to others. Do your homework, be sure you become more knowledgeable than your seller.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Always be ready and willing to walk away. If you know the marketplace, you can negotiate from strength. I have closed deals even after the dealer/sellers have walked away... but their tactic was really about testing my resolve. Stand your ground, get what you want... It will ultimately have to be realistic though.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I'm really curious that how you guys negotiate or seal a good deal. I think I got nothing special than minor discout, no sweet extra. I'm not originally from the US so I don't know how to make it work here.
What I do is shop around know the selling price of the bikes you are looking for then go to the sites that give you the value of that same bike if you were to sell it today. They usually give you a trade in value anda retail value if you sold it privately. With average kms and average condition being factors. Then once your armed with that search around what be best deals are in your state or close too it . You have enough information to know the true price bot highest and lowest to push for the deal you are looking to get .Be prepared to walk away and go to another dealer ,the dealers in most case cry poor and say they have no where to move on the price.I offer them a handkerchief too cry into then say well if you don't want to do a deal here and now I am sure there are dealers that will. cya ,start walking and way. See how quick they change their tune. Sometimes it is better to walk and wait allow them to stew over loosing a sale and let them call you . If they do that you may have won a deal. Good luck .Remember they need to sell bikes as they pay for them while on the floor plan and it cost them, so even if they claim they are only going to make a few hundred dollars on the deal then they still get a rebate in most cases from the manufactures for selling a bike and moving stock. It will always be a game but if you know the prices and willing to walk it could save you big dollars. Don't give a shit about their feelings as most sales guys don't care one bit about you .it is about getting as much as they can from you to give them a better commission at the end of the month. They also get bonuses for finance, accessories , making their quota for the month over and above that . So they need to sell you don't have to buy. Sorry long story but you did ask lol I truely hope this helps you get a great deal and please don't be scared to offend any sales guys they have thick skin and really don't give a shit about you once a deal has been done.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
smith, best time to go to a dealer is towards end of the month. they need to make their sales quota.
When they come up with a price an monthly payment. say that's a bit high for my budget, they will come down a bit , hey guys your getting close to what i can afford . the should come down a bit more.
As for the 18 or 19 or 20. Price is king, the 19 from what i hear lots of better features from the 18. haven't heard about the 2020 models yet. But their likely to be a bit more pricey. left overs like yesterdays pasta always better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, I am really grateful for tips from you guys. @Geoff-3 The hardest thing is to 'not to care about sale person too much' since I am the type that concern for the whole lot of thing for lot of people. LOL (Btw, I just realized that you are in Australia!!!). I need my wife to drag me away when I go for shopping. I found out one thing that the bike price in NJ dealers are not as competititve as in MA (I found out when I took a trip to Mohawk Trail). My will is to get 2019 model since it is enough for me and when it comes to February 2020, I might get as good deal as 2018.

BTW, can we make/get offer or inquire about walkaway final price over the phone or email (some states other than NJ look like they have better deals -- maybe)? I prefer not to finance it though. So they don't need to check my credit score for good rate.

@dieselgman I think I came across dealer price info from somewhere in this forums and wow, some offer from some member in this forum beated that price. To find the dealer motivation, what should I ask them?

@wildmandmc Is that mean I should not ask them: "What's the best offer you can get for me?" as a first question, right?. -_-"a

Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts