Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Roadmaster Icon that I really like EXCEPT for the right side heat. Before I spend money on decat, tuner, dyno, etc I’d like to know if the rear cylinder deactivation on the newer models much difference? If so I’d consider trading.

·
Rider
850 Posts
2019 chieftain
Yes there is hellava difference
I orginally thought of it like the autos shutting off at light when your on brake.
Rode this machine 95 deg plus ambient temp with it off and on deactivated and its night and day.
It works so well and really happy to have it.
Indian should offer an upgrade to do this for their older models. I know i would pay for it
Paul

·
Rider
499 Posts
Doesn't the rear cylinder only deactivate when there is zero throttle? If so, I can see this helping if you are always stopping like in a parade, or very heavy city traffic (situations I try to avoid). But when moving, I don't see any benefit. But since I don't have it, perhaps I'm not one to judge it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
850 Posts
That is true. Only at no throttle.
You wouldnt need it if you were moving having airflow.
Actually i am pretty sure Indian stole the idea from harley police bikes. It was called parade mode running parades down main street.
Rolling throttle slightly forward engaged it.
On the Indian if you have it and its active it does it without operator intervention.
I try to avoid situations like the stalled traffic too but not always avoidable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I'm new here and to Indian Motorcycles, bought my 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse yesterday (used) and this was one of the reasons. I got to try it out on the way home from the dealership, sitting in Houston's 5pm traffic. Maybe I just haven't got used to it but I found that on take off from a stop, that the bike seemed to almost die and did, at one point. I turned it off the rear cylinder only deactivate until I got home and just figured I would try it again after I got a little more time on the bike. When it was on it definitely helped and when it was off the bike didn't try to die. Like I said maybe it just takes getting used to but no matter I still love this bike.

·
Rider
850 Posts
Something is not right.
How new is the bike miles?
It is seamless switching back and fourth
Some people say they cant tell but if you are in touch with your ride you can feel it slightly as soon as it goes to one cylinder it lopes also and as soon as you move the throttle it goes back to 2 cylinders.
No farting, burping, stalling.
Seamless smooth transfer both ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something is not right.
How new is the bike miles?
It is seamless switching back and fourth
Some people say they cant tell but if you are in touch with your ride you can feel it slightly as soon as it goes to one cylinder it lopes also and as soon as you move the throttle it goes back to 2 cylinders.
No farting, burping, stalling.
Seamless smooth transfer both ways.
Yeah I thought so too but at that time I had only been on the bike for around an hour and half and most of that was interstate. Like I said I bought it used from a Harley dealer, it only had 4700 miles on it and going from a Harley to the Indian, the throttle is not what I'm used to. But the pipes are after market so maybe that could have something to do with it. Thanks

·
Rider
850 Posts
Although i feel the EPA has too much controlling the way the new bikes meet fueling.
The bike stock runs decent for what it is.
I dont believe a pipe alone would require different fueling adding a high flow air and pipe would
Where is your warmed up idle at rpm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
B3E23443-97F6-4B85-9685-E0EEE0D29016.jpeg
6178915F-89FB-4EA3-8A8E-54D7D6625CB5.png
ADDBDF61-E2C5-4F72-8DE1-9B25F7D58551.jpeg
Although i feel the EPA has too much controlling the way the new bikes meet fueling.
The bike stock runs decent for what it is.
I dont believe a pipe alone would require different fueling adding a high flow air and pipe would
Where is your warmed up idle at rpm?
Not sure where warm up rpm is, I will have to check that. The air filter could be after market as well, it looks like the stage 1 air filter. The top picture is stock and bottom 2 are mine and it looks like the stage 1but I’m not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes stage1 same as mine.
That was a reflash in my case by dealer.
Thanks for all the information Mr.Xtreme, but what do you mean by "reflash", guess I've never heard that term in motorcycles. I did buy this bike from a Harley dealer, so no one really told me a lot about the upgrades. Just my salesman and he only thought that it had a upgrade to stage one, but he wasn't sure. Which for me was fine because I got a pretty good price on the bike and if it had a stage 1 kit then that was a plus for me, I just knew it sounded better than stock. Thanks again for all the info and help.

·
Rider
850 Posts
Reflash is recalibrate fuel.
Actually if you got a pipe its stage2.
You also still have warrantee and can take to any dealer and have them look at the stalling issue.

·
Rider
499 Posts
Reflash is recalibrate fuel.
Actually if you got a pipe its stage2.
You also still have warrantee and can take to any dealer and have them look at the stalling issue.
Performance air cleaner and, or performance pipes are considered stage 1. Performance cams are considered stage 2.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
Hi I'm new here and to Indian Motorcycles, bought my 2019 Chieftain Darkhorse yesterday (used) and this was one of the reasons. I got to try it out on the way home from the dealership, sitting in Houston's 5pm traffic. Maybe I just haven't got used to it but I found that on take off from a stop, that the bike seemed to almost die and did, at one point. I turned it off the rear cylinder only deactivate until I got home and just figured I would try it again after I got a little more time on the bike. When it was on it definitely helped and when it was off the bike didn't try to die. Like I said maybe it just takes getting used to but no matter I still love this bike.
I don’t have it on my ‘17 Indian but my ‘18 Harley does and I assume they operate the same
If I touch the throttle or release the clutch just a tiny bit it kicks the rear cylinder back on
So maybe while you’re getting used to it. Try that just before traffic starts to roll

1 - 20 of 25 Posts