Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just picked up a 2019 chieftain icon that was new on the showroom floor. I was looking forward to the rear cylinder deactivation feature as I rode it home but I noticed when I come to a stop and the feature is turned on in vehicle settings I do not get the little icon on the top of the screen saying that it’s on. Has anyone else had this issue? It was over 90° today so I know it’s warm enough to come on. Also the bike is in neutral and my hand is off the throttle.

Also is the ride mode supposed to show at the top of the screen too on the 2019 Chieftain. That’s not there either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,167 Posts
Check the settings. As someone may have turned off the RCD. Tap the banner at the top of your screen. This is where you'll see the ride modes. Standard mode will not show on the top of the screen. Sport or touring mode will show up on the main screen. Tap the gear icon on the top left of the settings screen and look around for the RCD option.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The cylinder deac thing is finicky. On my '19 it happens whenever it feels like it.

When I am in any other mode Tour/Sport it displays on my screen. Not sure if it disappears after a while or not because I really don't change it much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same questions with my '19 Chieftain Limited. Indian says the rear cylinder deactivation only works if the motor is up to operating temperature. I determined that it takes way longer for the motor to reach operating temperature than I thought. Even in the middle of summer in South Carolina it sometimes takes 20 mins of city start/stop riding for the rear cylinder deactivation to start working. The motor has to be really hot. If the motor doesn't get hot enough the deactivation doesn't engage. The icon will for sure show up when the rear cylinder is deactivated. I'm sure your bike is working fine the motor just isn't hot enough.

Also, I agree with the other post about the ride mode. If you are in standard mode nothing will show on the display. Only tour and sport show on the display.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same questions with my '19 Chieftain Limited. Indian says the rear cylinder deactivation only works if the motor is up to operating temperature. I determined that it takes way longer for the motor to reach operating temperature than I thought. Even in the middle of summer in South Carolina it sometimes takes 20 mins of city start/stop riding for the rear cylinder deactivation to start working. The motor has to be really hot. If the motor doesn't get hot enough the deactivation doesn't engage. The icon will for sure show up when the rear cylinder is deactivated. I'm sure your bike is working fine the motor just isn't hot enough.

Also, I agree with the other post about the ride mode. If you are in standard mode nothing will show on the display. Only tour and sport show on the display.
This has been my experience as well. Since there isn’t a tell gauge it’s difficult to say at what temp the cylinder drops out but it does take some serious heat. This past August in Colorado average daily temps were in the mid 90s and I noticed deactivation pretty consistently if I rode more than 15-20 miles after work or days off. I did not notice it in the mornings. Maybe ambient air temp has something to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went out riding yesterday it was over 100° outside and I rode for two hours. The rear cylinder deactivation icon never came on. It has been activated in the settings menu. I even tried toggling it on and off a few times to see if that would help. Nothing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Strange. I do remember thinking the on/off seemed counter intuitive. Maybe it’s actually set opposite to what you think. Like, on is for activating the deactivation feature, not the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
On my 2020RM it works in 'standard' or the middle of the throttle modes. I think I have tour, standard, and sport for my 116.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It comes ON after you have been riding for awhile and then you come to standstill i.e. traffic light etc. Do check the settlings. However, if you just left the house and are at a traffic light 3-minutes down the road, the rear-cyclinder deactivation won't trigger on.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It does seem to be working now. I guess you have to really get the engine hot before it starts kicking in. On my way home from the beach today it came on every time I came to a stop.

It was a lot hotter during the test ride when it wasn’t working (over 100°) and I stopped then a number of times at stop lights and it never came on. Maybe it does have to have some miles on it before it will come on. When I went for the test ride there was only 7 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing I did notice is there is a significant change in engine sound and idle smoothness when the rear cylinder is turned off. I guess that is only to be expected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I just picked up a 2019 chieftain icon that was new on the showroom floor. I was looking forward to the rear cylinder deactivation feature as I rode it home but I noticed when I come to a stop and the feature is turned on in vehicle settings I do not get the little icon on the top of the screen saying that it’s on. Has anyone else had this issue? It was over 90° today so I know it’s warm enough to come on. Also the bike is in neutral and my hand is off the throttle.

Also is the ride mode supposed to show at the top of the screen too on the 2019 Chieftain. That’s not there either.

I also have had issues with my 19 roadmaster. I have ridden it around all summer and it has not come on once. The only time it ever came on was when I let it idle in my garage for at least 10 minutes. I brought it in for the 5000 mile service and was told it's working fine. Silly me, all you have to do is let it idle until it comes on, ride around an industrial park for 2 minutes very slowly, then let it idle and it still works! Amazing! What a feature! This is how Polaris had the problem diagnosed to say it is not a problem. Sorry for venting but if you are lucky enough to bring it to a shop that cares and knows what they are doing, please post it here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts