Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will pertain to those that have rear crash bars and a passenger.
Do you hear complaints from your passenger that these bars are in the way?
Looking for answers on this before spending the money and she says there's a problem.

·
Registered
802 Posts
From a short person point of view, On the other half Ultra they would hit me in the back of the calf. Not that I ride on the back of his bikes much but I bought the ones that are slanted instead of straight across for his bike and those have never bothered me.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling
Not the best picture of them but I think you can see what I am talking about. Most of the girls that ride on back of their husband/boyfriend/whatever has never said any thing about it being uncomfortable to them. I think it only bothered me because of my height, or lack there of.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,442 Posts
I have the rear guards one my Chieftain. Just asked my wife and she's said they're not in the way. I just put floorboards on but she hasn't rode with them on yet. But I wouldn't expect them to be any more of a problem than with the pegs.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My wife has never had a problem with the RM bars, passenger floorboards in the stock as delivered position. Her drink holder is on the right bar.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
If and when you tip over your motorcycle, you will wish you had the rear crash bars mounted on the motorcycle. If not, let's see how well your bags hold up and more, could get very costly.

I had them installed by the Dealer before picking up my Chieftain when it was brand new.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the rear crash bars and rear floorboards, she has never complained. Says the floorboards are a big plus to her. I have had the backs of my calves hit by them at a stop however, but seldom does that happen so no big deal to me. I think they are a must have in case of tip over, which I have had sadly 4 times now. Well worth the insurance for your bags and whatever else might come in contact.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
I have the rear bars on my Chieftain and the only thing the wife says is in the way is me.
+1
Got them on my RM and my wife (5'9") has no issues with the rear Highway bars.
HOWEVER - If and when I ever ask her if all is well back there - she says yes - "everything wonderful except your [great] Gazoo being in my way"

Sculpture Helmet Fictional character Art Smile

Reactions: Yournamehere1

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
By the way - not a huge deal, but...

these are referred to as Highway bars and NOT Crash bars -
they were not designed to protect you or your passenger in the event of an accident (crash), they are only designed to reduce damage to your bike if it were to tip over.

Reactions: Camak5

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the rear highway bars on my vintage , ask the wife her opinion with the standard pegs fitted she found that her calfs did rest against the bars since fitting the RM floor boards she has no issues with the rear bars.

·
Rider
410 Posts
By the way - not a huge deal, but...

these are referred to as Highway bars and NOT Crash bars -
they were not designed to protect you or your passenger in the event of an accident (crash), they are only designed to reduce damage to your bike if it were to tip over.
You're NOT wrong. I been calling em "crash bars" for years. Which is a lot better than what we use to call em... "Training wheels".

Btw, I've seen many a crash bars protect a bike in the most common of all crashes.. Parking lot maneuvers, stop lights , and garages. When that 800 pounds hits the deck, it does go crash.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Tire
I just installed these moments ago. Has anyone seen a Chieftain go down, or dropped with these bars. I'm wondering how well they protect.

·
5,442 Posts
View attachment 31554 I just installed these moments ago. Has anyone seen a Chieftain go down, or dropped with these bars. I'm wondering how well they protect.
I dropped my Chieftain with the crash bars installed. Unfortunately I did it in my driveway which has a pretty steep angle. When I tried to pick it up it slide down. The bars had very minor damage but the saddle bag edge got worn down pretty good. IMO Victory's Cross Bike bag protector work MASSIVELY better. I wish Polaris would've incorporated them on the Cheif.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks Goatlocker that answers my question. If the bike didn't slide do you still think the bags would have been damaged? Sorry to hear about your unfortunate mishap.

·
5,442 Posts
The bag would've still been damaged, jus not as bad had it not slide.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The significant other has no issues with the bars.

·
5,442 Posts
Here is the damage to the bar and the bag.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Fender Hood
Red Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks again Goatlocker. The damage looks like it's mostly under the bag, or at least not too noticeable. At least the bags, or your leg weren't crushed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
4,087 Posts
Dropped the RM doing a slow u turn last summer because of the throttle lag from throttle by wire. Really pi$$ed me off . Scarred up my rear engine guard but keep the bike off my wifes leg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts