Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to know if anyone else besides me is having a problem with the saddle bag-crash guards hitting you in the back of your legs? Seems to me to be a design flaw. Please let me know. I ride an Indian Chieftain Limited.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are the Indian OEM rear crash bars. I will try to get some pics out. I put my leg down while stopping and when almost stopped the rear saddle bag guard hit the back of my calf snapping 2 sides of my tibia above my ankle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After I installed mine I ran onto the back of my heal numerous times and dropped my bike once because of it. It happens because sometimes I drag my feet when taking off slowly which is probably a bad habit. I stopped dragging my feet which solved the this issue.

Tim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are the surgical scars on both sides of my right leg just above my ankle. I fractured both sides of my tibia above each right ankle bone . And some ligament damage. I was barely moving and put my right leg down to hold the bike up while. Ok’ing to a stop at idle speed or even less. When I stopped the rear saddle bag guard slammed into The back of my calf and forced My foot into the ground and snapped my Tibia. I now have a brand new bike that just had its 400 mile service and the surgeon “strongly suggests” that I stop riding because my lower leg cannot take the strain anymore. I might have to sell my a%s kicking bike. I have a stage 2 , mapped with a Dynojet PV03, metzler tires, Trask mini Apes, Rinehart true duals with a 2.5 performance baffle and more. I cannot believe this happened in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After I installed mine I ran onto the back of my heal numerous times and dropped my bike once because of it. It happens because sometimes I drag my feet when taking off slowly which is probably a bad habit. I stopped dragging my feet which solved the this issue.

Tim
Yes been there and done that but never in all my years have I experienced this. Thank you for being part of this discussion.

·
Rider
442 Posts
Do you have passenger floorboards? I know if I have my passenger boards down, my calfs will touch those slightly but has never been an issue for me. I just don't see how the crash bars are the issue because they are way back there and out of the way. Maybe it's the floorboards and not the crash bars. Either way that looks like a nasty break and so sorry that has happened to you. Hopefully it strengthen up enough to get you back on the saddle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have passenger floorboards? I know if I have my passenger boards down, my calfs will touch those slightly but has never been an issue for me. I just don't see how the crash bars are the issue because they are way back there and out of the way. Maybe it's the floorboards and not the crash bars. Either way that looks like a nasty break and so sorry that has happened to you. Hopefully it strengthen up enough to get you back on the saddle
Thank you brother

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Tim
Thank you

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Wow, Dan that is a terrible injury and so sorry to hear about it. I have a RM and a couple of times my ride foot got caught from the rear crash bar on take-off. Got my attention. And like the other poster I realized my foot was dragging a bit. Now I avoid that. More so after learning what happened to you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's happened to me too but I consider it's my fault. Just putting my feet down a little early at a stop also late lifting them or a bad bit of road surface catches my boot sole when moving off.
When stopping just get the timing right and put your feet down at the very last moment, when moving off be sure to have your feet a little forward when supporting the bike. It gives just a little bit of extra distance and safety.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts