Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys! I have a 2020 scout bobber that I bought second hand. The bike was previously dropped, and all the damage parts were replaced on that side, including the rear master cylinder. Tho, the rear brake was never bled. I wasn’t too concerned at the time because I had other plans for the bike before I got around to bleeding the brakes. Well with my luck, I should’ve known it wasn’t going to be as easy as it sounded. At first I tried a conventional brake bleed (pump lever, loosen bleed screw, tighten bleed screw, release lever) probably did this a couple dozen times without any pressure being built up. I spent time looking into the issue and tried numerous things that I read might work. I tried using a vacuum bleeder, I tried reverse bleeding, compressing the piston, tilting the MC forward, etc.! I’m all out of ideas, and am thinking maybe the MC needs a rebuild. Any advice on what may be the issue is welcomed! Whenever I loosen the bleed screw, it continues to drip fluid with or without holding down the pedal. I’ve bleed breaks before and don’t recall that ever being an issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Update: been doing some more reading and perhaps my master cylinder is not as functional as I believed. Is there anywhere online I can reference a working example of the scouts rear break?
Are you sure you’re not getting bypass on the bleeder screw threads? On my RM, even cracking the bleeder screw slightly, I’d couldn’t get any suction with my vacuum bleeder. Replaced with Speed Bleeders and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you’re not getting bypass on the bleeder screw threads? On my RM, even cracking the bleeder screw slightly, I’d couldn’t get any suction with my vacuum bleeder. Replaced with Speed Bleeders and that solved the problem.
How would I check? My vacuum bleeder was able to hold a vacuum until I cracked the bleed screw and it would suck out the break fluid until I closed the bleed screw. Tho, I have never used a vacuum bleeder before, so I could’ve been doing it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
How would I check? My vacuum bleeder was able to hold a vacuum until I cracked the bleed screw and it would suck out the break fluid until I closed the bleed screw. Tho, I have never used a vacuum bleeder before, so I could’ve been doing it wrong.
It sounds like your vacuum bleeder was working correctly. Mine was allowing suction to escape around the threads, so the vacuum bleeder would not hold a vacuum and pull fluid out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like your vacuum bleeder was working correctly. Mine was allowing suction to escape around the threads, so the vacuum bleeder would not hold a vacuum and pull fluid out.
Ah yeah, I could see how that would’ve been an issue. I’ve got two things I’m going to try tomorrow. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I think I’m going to try and vacuum bleed a whole bottle of break fluid and see if it gets me anywhere, if that doesn’t work I’m going to try and reverse bleed the brake system again. I think I gave up to early because from what I’ve read people spent hours just bleeding fluid until the got any pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the line off at master or caliper, block it with your finger and see if it builds any pressure. Also, does the bike have ABS? There may be a procedure you need to follow for that.
yes the bike has ABS, so bleeding it might be difficult. I’ve been messing with it more today and something about my MC seems off. There’s no spring to it whatsoever and feels like it’s stuck in the compressed position. Unfortunately I can’t find anywhere online to reference a working rear MC but I might end up trying to find a bike that does and compare

·
Registered
618 Posts
yes the bike has ABS, so bleeding it might be difficult. I’ve been messing with it more today and something about my MC seems off. There’s no spring to it whatsoever and feels like it’s stuck in the compressed position. Unfortunately I can’t find anywhere online to reference a working rear MC but I might end up trying to find a bike that does and compare
Here is some others experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.