Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m about to replace my rear brake rotor, as it is badly worn out. Got the EBC MD678 instead of the stock one for replacement.

Now here´s the thing. I was checking out the service manual regarding the brake rotor replacement:

Is it REALLY that necessary to replace the brake disc screws and ABS tone ring for new ones when replacing disc brakes? Why?

And WHY would I need to remove the belt sprocket (okay, it seems rather easy to do, but still... at least that particular piece doesn´t require new bolts) if I´m working on the opposite side of the wheel?

I kinda understand the "need" to put new screws (although I can´t see why I couldn´t just put the old ones back in with Loctite on them) , but why replace the ABS tone ring if it´s working just fine?

Can someone shed some light into that?

·
Silver member
3,975 Posts
I agree with you.

New bolts? ok, but new ABS ring makes no sense to me... And if they came out without botching up the heads I'd clean them, and reuse the bolts too with fresh locktite.

That said, I do expect new bolts come with a locking medium pre applied.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you.

New bolts? ok, but new ABS ring makes no sense to me... And if they came out without botching up the heads I'd clean them, and reuse the bolts too with fresh locktite.

That said, I do expect new bolts come with a locking medium pre applied.
Yeah... what I heard about when talking to a mechanic (not the one that works on by bike) is that the ABS ring is too thin and it bends way too easily when removed from the wheel, making it unusable. But I really don´t know how much of that is true.

·
Bronze member
2,633 Posts
If you don't remove the belt sprocket when you first lower the wheel, it'll fall off and you'll be chasing parts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has a point, just be careful when removing the old rotor. Right?

(luckily it's only a 20-25 dollar part)
Yeah,price is not the problem. Local availability, now THAT is a big problem. If I bend the dang thing, I´m basically screwed, some 20-30 days waiting for parts (at least). LOL.

I´ll hold on that maintenance. Ordered the parts from my USA "middle man" . When they arrive here in Brazil I´ll do it.

If I manage to take out the ABS ring without damaging it, fine, I´ll just keep the new one as a backup.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah,price is not the problem. Local availability, now THAT is a big problem. If I bend the dang thing, I´m basically screwed, some 20-30 days waiting for parts (at least). LOL.

I´ll hold on that maintenance. Ordered the parts from my USA "middle man" . When they arrive here in Brazil I´ll do it.

If I manage to take out the ABS ring without damaging it, fine, I´ll just keep the new one as a backup.
Did you get the EBC MD678 Brake Rotor installed? If so, how is it working?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts