Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a 289 mile ride yesterday with some friends and the temps were between 97-100 degrees with high humidity. My Chieftain has the Roadmaster heated seat (not hooked up since I wont need that feature in Houston, Texas) but after yesterdays ride, has me looking really hard at that new cooling seat. The main deterrent is the cost. Like anything Indian, its not cheap. Anyone know of any other seat that uses this technology?

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
My truck has air conditioning. I've been known to leave the Vintage at home on +90* days and run my errands in cool comfort LOL

·
Rider
691 Posts
I too love in Houston, I use a longhair sheep skin and greatly reduces the heat and improves air circulation! I have 900 mile day across Texas in August so it has been tested!!!!

Reactions: Sir Bag-A-Lot

·
Rider
952 Posts
I heard from a friend that this seat really works and is very comfortable. I have other friends that have the corbin and it uses a fan system and have been told it just blows more heat out when trying to cool. The Indian seat does not use fans.

·
Rider
1,183 Posts
when I got my Corbin we talken to them about the cooling option.
I was willing to spend the extra cash for it but Corbin told me the heating side works so much better then cooling.
Corbin said they wouldnt buy the cool option and that was good enough for me.
It seems more of a gimic than anything else.
Indian seats are not known for comfort.
So then you put a whoopie cushion airhawk and wipe out any little cooling you might have😝

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Motorcycle.com didn't give it a very good review either. Said it wasn't very effective.
Seems like it uses the same technology as car seats only they can draw from AC air in the cabin. A motorcycle grabs from the atmosphere, right as it passes the cylinders...

I think Ill look into that sheepskin cover that Texas Steve suggested. Got to a lot cheaper than $900-$1200 depending if I want the seat to say Corbin or Indian (looks like the same seat)

·
Rider
1,183 Posts
Seems like it uses the same technology as car seats only they can draw from AC air in the cabin. A motorcycle grabs from the atmosphere, right as it passes the cylinders...

I think Ill look into that sheepskin cover that Texas Steve suggested. Got to a lot cheaper than $900-$1200 depending if I want the seat to say Corbin or Indian (looks like the same seat)
Looks like but they are not alike in comfort.
I would bet on that but the cooling workings could be very similar.
Corbins comfort has far exceeded Indian in the comfort area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I ended up picking up a Corbin fire and ice seat off of ebay for 400 bucks for my 2018 Chieftain. The cooling does work, makes the seat feel "damp" and cooler, a coolness i can even feel through my Alaskan sheepskin cover. The biggest surprise though is that because the Corbin uses fans to suck the heat out of the seat a pleasant side effect is that the fans blow the heat from the seat and the rear engine cylinder away from me making for a cooler ride. Would I purchase one new, no cause I'm cheap but I'm happy with my Corbin fire and ice seat.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
658 Posts
My Silverado High Country has an airconditioned seat. I do not think it goes well with Male anatomy. Just my .02 cents worth. I never leave it on more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went for a 289 mile ride yesterday with some friends and the temps were between 97-100 degrees with high humidity. My Chieftain has the Roadmaster heated seat (not hooked up since I wont need that feature in Houston, Texas) but after yesterdays ride, has me looking really hard at that new cooling seat. The main deterrent is the cost. Like anything Indian, its not cheap. Anyone know of any other seat that uses this technology?
Get rid of the catalytic converter and that reduces the heat tremendously.

·
Registered
304 Posts
$1200 for a seat that moderately cools??? They can kiss my butt with that one....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the seat despite the 2 reviews that were out there. The one review said it wasn't very effective but that was only after they were in 100 degree heat with a passenger having hot flashes left and right and the 2nd review said it wasn't comfortable but he has a boney ass can could feel the fans deep down in the seat. First of all I have about $1000 wrapped up in Indian seat accessories such as driver and passenger back rests / sissy bar and a luggage rack so I really was hoping to find a more comfortable Indian seat for my 2017 Chieftain before scrapping it all and going with a Corbin or something else. So yes, i took the plunge since my dealer said i could return it if i didn't like it or if i had problems getting the sissy bar on, which has been a common problem for the Roadmaster Touring seat. Anyway, yes both the wife and I do find it more comfortable than the original OEM seat and it does cool pretty well. I haven't ridden it that much but its been in the 90's and for the 100 miles or so that i have ridden, I don't have any complaints. The seat does however elevate both the driver and the passenger some and it also has me sitting an inch or so closer to the tank so all that takes some getting used to. I also cannot feel the fans when sitting on the seat because the one in the driver section is more under my crotch then on my cheek bones. Overall I would give the seat a solid B rating with limited riding but next week it will be put to the test as we are traveling to northeast Ohio and eastern PA, which will put several hundred miles on the seat and it will still be in the low 90's each day. Yes, $1200 is a lot for a B rating but I find that everyone has different options when it comes to seats and there is no one clear winner - Touring seat, Rouge seat, Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate, etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the solid review. I unforunately have 100 degree weather and a wife currently dealing with moderate spontaneous combustion... so i May find this less effective. The one issue I have is I’m already feeling cramped with the Roadmaster touring seat. If I sat any closer to the tank, I think my leg cramps would only worsen. I guess I’ll just look for ass-less chaps and move on 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts