Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the newest Promotion for 2015 from Indian and I am NOT the Least bit Happy. $1,000 off for Harley owners on purchase of a new 2015 Indian (excluding Scouts). Lets give the people Bashing you and your Company a Grand to "convert" them while MANY of us non-Harley owners bought ours because we had Faith in this company. To me this IS a SLAP in our faces. I WILL be having a discussion with my dealer and with anyone I can get ahold of at Polaris. Sorry, Just VENTING!!!!!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I just saw the newest Promotion for 2015 from Indian and I am NOT the Least bit Happy. $1,000 off for Harley owners on purchase of a new 2015 Indian (excluding Scouts). Lets give the people Bashing you and your Company a Grand to "convert" them while MANY of us non-Harley owners bought ours because we had Faith in this company. To me this IS a SLAP in our faces. I WILL be having a discussion with my dealer and with anyone I can get ahold of at Polaris. Sorry, Just VENTING!!!!!
They will give em a grand and probably devalue the trade by $1500.00

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,079 Posts
They should give an extra grand to anybody trading in ANY competing brand.

I understand that they are really gunning for their main competitor h-d, but metric bikes are just as much of a competitor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will give em a grand and probably devalue the trade by $1500.00
You are probably right but it still makes me Mad. To me they are lowering their standards by doing this, not the kind of marketing I expected from this company.... Disappointing......

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yea...seems like a slap to the existing customer base. But I'm sure someone in marketing had the numbers to show better penetration into the market. Maybe if you trade in a crap found-on-road-dead '82 HD ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just saw it on the official site. Think you're right. Lots of Harley owner/riders, lots of potential new Indian riders.
I agree there are a lot of potential Harley converts out there, but to give them a grand to do so I feel Cheated. I have done nothing but Promoted Indian since the purchase of our Roadmaster and now I guess they have better ideas. Let them do there own Promotion from now on, I'm done promoting someone that sells out to Harley thinking....

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
You are probably right but it still makes me Mad. To me they are lowering their standards by doing this, not the kind of marketing I expected from this company.... Disappointing......
Truth of the matter is that there are no free lunches in the world. If they give you something you somehow still pay for it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Harley owns 80% of the big bike market. Harley riders are who Indian is going after. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Why do you care so much? Did you move from a HD to Indian and feel cheated out of the extra $1000? Were you disappointed in the deal you got on your Indian or your trade? I've seen these "conquest" promotions before that target the competition...especially with the domestic automakers and even with ag equipment. I've seen John Deere Gator promotions that target Polaris UTV's. That's just how marketing works out sometimes and our timing may not always catch those promotional deals. If you are happy with your bike, dealer and the deal you made when you made the purchase decision, then don't waste your time lamenting the "one that got away"...ride that Indian every chance you get and let the dealer worry about what to do with all those harley's they will be taking in trade.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The promotion is only until the end of February, and it's currently winter. Seems like a good marketing gimmick to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why do you care so much? Did you move from a HD to Indian and feel cheated out of the extra $1000? Were you disappointed in the deal you got on your Indian or your trade? I've seen these "conquest" promotions before that target the competition...especially with the domestic automakers and even with ag equipment. I've seen John Deere Gator promotions that target Polaris UTV's. That's just how marketing works out sometimes and our timing may not always catch those promotional deals. If you are happy with your bike, dealer and the deal you made when you made the purchase decision, then don't waste your time lamenting the "one that got away"...ride that Indian every chance you get and let the dealer worry about what to do with all those harley's they will be taking in trade.
I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that Indian (Polaris) would buy into the same marketing stragety that that Harley used to put the Originsl company out of business. And to me it seems that no other company (brand) matters to their future. Unlike some people I believe there are more companies than the Precious Harleys.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that Indian (Polaris) would buy into the same marketing stragety that that Harley used to put the Originsl company out of business. And to me it seems that no other company (brand) matters to their future. Unlike some people I believe there are more companies than the Precious Harleys.
Competition is good in business and we all benefit with improved products and competitive pricing. As for HD using a marketing strategy that put the original company out of business, I assume you believe that HD put the original Indian Motorcycle Company out of business? If so, the historical facts differ with your assumption...the original Indian Motorcycle Company put itself out of business with horrible management and financial mismanagement. Interestingly, that was nearly what happened to HD years later. Now if you are the current Polaris owned Indian Motorcycle Company, you will consider a marketing approach that targets a customer that favors the cruiser style of motorcycle, has the financial wherewithal to afford the Indian "large" chassis bikes and is pre-sold on the desirability of a heavy weight motorcycle...especially if it is assembled domestically. The idea of re-establishing the brand rivalry with HD is a marketing strategy "made in heaven". So, it seems that Polaris judges that HD riders are a demographic worth going after. Owners of other brands are another demographic that will come to Indian under their accord.

Given the short term of the offer, it does seem Polaris is just testing this approach to expanding ownership to a few more HD owners. Ask your dealer how well he thinks it will work...but give it about 6 weeks to measure any degree of success.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like a good marketing plan to me. I do not feel slighted at all. I traded in a Harley. Would SURE not want to reverse the deal and go back even though I didn't get what "I thought" my bike was worth.

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
I got more for my Suzuki trading it in then I would have got on my own when I swapped for our Vintage, no regrets. I agree they're probably de-valuing the trade and then taking an extra G off the new bike, the cash difference is all that counts.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just filled out the rider survey form indian sent out and they got a very pee poor rating from me on trade in value.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.