Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question on the indian reddit and frankly, I got some really stupid responses. So I decided I'll try here.

from 2015 to 2018, the Dark Horse was black smoke denim with a chrome trim. Totally beautiful looking motorcycle. I was really wanting one, as I'm in the market for a Bigtwin cruiser(no baggers).

in 2019 however, Indian blacked out all the trim which puts me in a crappy position. I don't like the new blacked out scheme, it takes away from the bold and classy look, so If were to get a 2020, I'd be spending time and money to replace the blacked out parts with chrome.

1, Chrome Exhaust header heatshields.

2, Chrome slipons(ovals)

3, Chrome Pushrod Tubes

4, Chrome fender accent pieces.

5, Chrome rockerbox toppers from the Chief/chieftains.(not on the original bike but this is a must.)

6, (Also not original to the bike, but) I want the chrome round aircleaner too.

7, Oil cooling unit

8, Black Mustache engine guard.

I called a dealer about it and I got around about price that wasn't clear, and didnt include taxes and labor. Dealer said around 22K. I didn't mention I wanted to do an LED headlamp, and front turn signals, but I'm sure there's some stuff on amazon or ebay that are worthwhile. I got a friend who did light upgrades on his sportster with Amazon stuff.

I'm looking at the realistic cost to do this, and keep a warranty intact. Dealer told me that they had to install the engine parts at the shop and get the tune done there or they wouldnt be able to maintain the warranty. How much cost in labor am I looking at for them to swap in a set of chrome pushrod tubes, slip ons, and aircleaner and flash in the new tune, and install the oil cooling unit?

For the incoming "Buy used" comment I already looked into this, all the bikes are literally thousands of miles away from me, or they're modified and I'm looking for stock or at the bare minimum accessories I can remove and sell off. I also want a warranty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Modifying your ride makes it personalised , would be unique. I live in a tropical area and you have me thinking how much advantage would it be to fit a oil cooler. I removed a lot of heat by changing pipes, consequently eradicating the Cat. Do you have a photo of the oil cooler?

·
Founding member
482 Posts
It sounds like it might be cheaper to buy a Chief with all the chrome goodies and paint it the color you want it to be.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I believe just the pushrod covers require dropping the engine to get the valve covers off to remove the pushrods,quite a lot of labor just for a accent change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modifying your ride makes it personalised , would be unique. I live in a tropical area and you have me thinking how much advantage would it be to fit a oil cooler. I removed a lot of heat by changing pipes, consequently eradicating the Cat. Do you have a photo of the oil cooler?
It's on their website.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I believe just the pushrod covers require dropping the engine to get the valve covers off to remove the pushrods,quite a lot of labor just for a accent change.
As Deiseldoc says, the tubes and rocker covers are the most expensive thing on your list as they mean dropping the motor. Because they are sold as separate spare parts the prices are quite high for the complete set. And for the dealer to change them over would mean new seals etc as well. partshark.com will show you the prices. Add on shop time for a full day for a competent workshop. It might be longer if the shop is not accustomed to the work. Some will be happy to drop the motor in the frame and do the swap. Others will say they need to remove the motor and do the work on a bench.

Let's say $1,000 for engine parts (my quick run through partshark) and (8 hours at $150) $1200 for time. $2,200 for the motor stuff. It's hard to see another $20,000 for the rest of your list.

All the others are just add-ons and you might even be able to buy used and fit them yourself. Aftermarket pipes and air cleaners are cheaper than Indian and some ebay sellers have highway bars. Prices here in Australia are very different so it's best that you check what's available locally.

Indian dealers will only flash their standard tunes that match what your have on your bike. If you buy their HiFlow air cleaner it comes with flash to match. If you want a custom tune you need to buy a PV3 to be able to flash the bike.

What you are after in a certain paint/trim combo is faced by others who want a particular colour but it's only offered on a different model bike or was available last year but not this year.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Let's say $1,000 for engine parts (my quick run through partshark) and (8 hours at $150) $1200 for time. $2,200 for the motor stuff. It's hard to see another $20,000 for the rest of your list.
Could be my misinterpretation, but sounded to me like 22k included the price of the actual new bike too as it seems he’s still searching for the bike to do this too. Which in that case, 18.5k for a new Chief darkhorse and another 3.5k for all the parts sounds roughly about right at Indians prices, but with that not including labor that could be a drastic price difference that might make it not worth it(at least to me).

For the incoming "Buy used" comment I already looked into this, all the bikes are literally thousands of miles away from me, or they're modified and I'm looking for stock or at the bare minimum accessories I can remove and sell off. I also want a warranty.
I’m sure there’s probably a few members who wouldn’t mind picking up and riding a used bike your way for you ;)

But to be real, the labor cost is what’s really going to make a huge difference there I think. If you can live without the parts requiring the engine to drop then it’s pretty easy to swap the rest. And as a possible alternative I’ve seen add on chrome trim pieces for the engines, believe kuryakyn makes a whole set. Basically covers all that’s left black on the all chrome engines. Not the same look as the original darkhorse, which could be good or bad depending how you like it, but maybe worth looking into as it would probably be cheaper to add those pieces than to get the dealer to drop the engine to swap the pushrod tubes. Course it’s your bike your choice kinda thing, if you really want that specific look and don’t mind paying for it have at it. Best thing is try to get a final price including labor cost from the dealer to really see what it would be out the door and see if it’s worth it to you. Maybe can work a deal to get the labor costs reduced as well as you’d be spending a good bit already to get the bike and buy the parts for the swap. Couldn’t hurt to ask at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see why it couldn't be done fo r$5500-$6000.
Jesus.
That'll make it way out cost the other bike I was looking at, the new harley fat boy 114.
One of the reasons I was looking at the dark horse was because it was a good few thousand off the bikes I wanted from HD, but man, I can't reason to get this bike over that one if it's gonna cost that much just to get the style right.
but maybe worth looking into as it would probably be cheaper to add those pieces than to get the dealer to drop the engine to swap the pushrod tubes.
I definitely want the chrome rockerbox covers, and tubes.
I could tape up and newspaper cover the rest of the engine and brushed metal spray down the tubes with a chrome rattlecan paint, because that'd look nice so long as it's got that aluninium sheen or better.
But I would really have to get the engine dropped to do the rockerbox tops?
It looks like this idea is totally bust unless a dealer can get the factory to make me a stock 2018 color scheme.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Could be my misinterpretation, but sounded to me like 22k included the price of the actual new bike too as it seems he’s still searching for the bike to do this too. Which in that case, 18.5k for a new Chief darkhorse and another 3.5k for all the parts sounds roughly about right at Indians prices, but with that not including labor that could be a drastic price difference that might make it not worth it(at least to me).
Thanks, I totally missed that. I thought he was talking about one of the 'really stupid responses' that he mentions at the beginning.

My brain is draining away from sitting inside for so long. 😵

·
Registered
340 Posts
As suggested above, I think it would be cheaper to buy a Chief Classic, and paint the tins. But yeah, the matte black and chrome does look badass IMO...

·
Silver member
5,113 Posts
Why not just find a low mile 2017 and you get what you want? It's really that simple.

And Indian doesn't call it Denim. That's an HD term .It 's Thunder black Smoke....

·
Rider
1,405 Posts
Why not just find a low mile 2017 and you get what you want? It's really that simple......
Agree 100% here. I think you are totally overcomplicating the issue and your acute desire to get what you want is clouding your vision. You can save a bucket load of money to spend on further enhancing your low mileage 2017 Garage Queen when you get it.

I live in the UK and we pay quite a premium on American bikes against USA RRP. Nevertheless even my local dealer has the model you desire 2017 Black with 5k miles on the clock. There must be more about Your Side of the Pond?

Indian Chief Dark Horse

·
Registered
468 Posts
As mentioned, buy a good early bike that has what you want or if you must have new, just get the tins painted or indeed wrapped then you could put it back to standard if you wanted to sell it in the future.

·
Rider
1,405 Posts
This Side of the Pond we no longer have access to Cycletrader which is a bit of a shame.

"CycleTrader.com can no longer support visitors from within the European Union at this time. In compliance with GDPR any My Trader accounts, email correspondence & site activity has been removed from our database."

·
Rider
1,334 Posts
Did anyone on Reddit tell you that you were buying/modding the wrong bike?

·
Bronze member
1,614 Posts
Honestly, you are better off buying the model bike you want and paying the shipping costs to get it to you. All of the listed work you are talking about is expensive. Shipping a bike is anywhere from $350 - $650. Even if you can't find one in the color you want, a simple matte paint-job shouldn't cost more than $1500 if you are able to remove and replace the tins yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why not just find a low mile 2017 and you get what you want? It's really that simple.

And Indian doesn't call it Denim. That's an HD term .It 's Thunder black Smoke....
I already answered that in the OP.
All the ones out there are literally thousands of miles away from me or modified, and I want a warranty.
I want a stock bike with a warranty on it.
As suggested above, I think it would be cheaper to buy a Chief Classic, and paint the tins. But yeah, the matte black and chrome does look badass IMO...
Indian doesnt sell the classic anymore, I'd have to find a used one, same problem as the other bikes though.
There is the vintage, but that bikes' powertrain is completely chromed out and there's plenty of parts I'd have to remove to get the styling, and it costs 20k instead of 18.5K.

Unfortunately indians dont sell like hotcakes like HDs do so it's hard to find what im looking for, but it's fairly easy to find a dyna or a softail with the requirements im after. But I wouldn't ever want to own a dyna.

·
Bronze member
1,614 Posts
You could replace the rocker box covers by cracking the backbone at the rear joint. It's not particularly hard, but you have to have the right person doing it. This would also entail removing the tank, etc and loosening the engine mount on the front of the bike. This method has been used forever to replace cams on a Victory cast frame bike. Gets you just enough clearance to do what you are looking for. As for the push-rod tubes, that's a much more detailed job as others have pointed out - likely about 12 hours of labor since it's roughly 8 just to R/R the engine.

If the dealer says they can do it for 22 before taxes, including S1 pipes, airbox, tubes, covers and labor, that sounds like a good price. If that's not what you want to pay, and don't want to go the used route, then you have few other choices.

FWIW, there is a bone stock 2016 at Sturgis Indian for $13K. From what I understand they are great to deal with and ship everywhere. They might even be able to sell an extended warranty on it. If not, you could probably get the bike delivered for around $14K out the door and put the $4K away for any repairs you may think you need that would be covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts