Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but really enjoy it. Quick question: If I remove the CAT out of my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse do I have to "Re-flash" the bike and or get a new "Tune." The dealer service guy is saying yes and I'm thinking no. They want around $1400 dollars to do all that. I've seen the Youtube videos of guy that have done it and no one mentions anything about have to re-tune or re-flash the bike. Thoughts? Thanks for any help provided.

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but really enjoy it. Quick question: If I remove the CAT out of my 2017 Chieftain Dark Horse do I have to "Re-flash" the bike and or get a new "Tune." The dealer service guy is saying yes and I'm thinking no. They want around $1400 dollars to do all that. I've seen the Youtube videos of guy that have done it and no one mentions anything about have to re-tune or re-flash the bike. Thoughts? Thanks for any help provided.

Dealer is trying to rip you off. Get a new dealer. There is no Flash for a removed CAT especially by Indian. The CAT makes very Little difference to the bike's performance whether its in or out. The biggest reason people remove the CAT is for heat.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
$1400 for a remap only? Or is that for them to remove the cat and reflash? Are they adding stage-1 mufflers as well?

That seems like a wild price and no you do not need to reflash for just removing the cat. If that price is just to reflash, your dealer is absolutely trying to take advantage of you. Like stated above, I'd turn my loyalty to a new dealer if possible in your area.

If they are removing the cat. I can see why the charge is so high. The only ways they can do that is to 1. Either punch it and pull it out. (very laborsome). 2. Would be to cut your pipe and cat out and weld it shut. Again very laborsome and I highly doubt a dealership would do that.

You can buy catless headers online for around $300.

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
When and if you should replace a sensor,remove something like the cat,alter your exhaust system in some way,[a lot of guys like to change their mufflers to performance pipes] or make some other modifications to the vehicles' running gear,whether it be a motorcycle,car or truck,what you can do,which has worked for me, is simply disconnect the battery negative cable for five minutes or so,reconnect it,then drive it for a few miles.What this does is,allow the system to relearn or recalibrate itself to the modes just performed!! Capishe????

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
On the contrary! Removal of the cat means less back pressure,hence the reason for allowing the system to recalibrate so it can compensate for that reduced back pressure.

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
On the contrary! Removal of the cat means less back pressure,hence the reason for allowing the system to recalibrate so it can compensate for that reduced back pressure.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! The CAT has zero impact on the 111 engines, been Dyno proven. Almost no restriction. No tune need this have been proven time and time again

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
With all due respect: I never mentioned anything about it "NEEDING A TUNE". All I said was: "with the CAT gone,you'll have less back pressure". In other words, the systems' computer will recognize this,hence the reason I mentioned disconnecting battery negative so the computer will readjust the mixture accordingly.That's all I said!!
"And again,I meant NO DISRESPECT to you sir"!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
4,109 Posts
With all due respect: I never mentioned anything about it "NEEDING A TUNE". All I said was: "with the CAT gone,you'll have less back pressure". In other words, the systems' computer will recognize this,hence the reason I mentioned disconnecting battery negative so the computer will readjust the mixture accordingly.That's all I said!!
"And again,I meant NO DISRESPECT to you sir"!! Dave!!!
Thats not the case on the Indians. The CAT has almost no effect on back pressure due to its honeycomb free flowing construction. Disconnecting the battery will reset nothing. The tune is unaffected as the tune is stored in non volatile memory. All the narrow band O2 sensors do us adjust the mixture for 14.7 to 1 during closed loop operations. The CAT has zero effect.

No disrespect taken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts