Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here had trouble with their whitewall turning brown? If so, did you file a claim? If you did file a claim, did Indian replace the tire? And if they replaced the tire, what was your mileage when they replaced it?

Sorry for all the questions, but only recently we were informed that there was a problem with whitewalls turning brown, and a claim was submitted. Indian denied the claim saying the tire was not eligible due to mileage (just under 6K.) But, if we would have known sooner, we wouldn't have had a mileage issue.

Kind of irritates me that Indian will deny a claim re: mileage when they don't bother to let you know about the issue in the first place until apparently, it's too late.

Any info would be much appreciated! :)

·
Rider
880 Posts
Not having ridden on whitewall tyres before, I find it tricky to know just what's normal discolouration due to dust and what's not. Cleaning mine with Brillo pads - as several people on this forum recommend - seems to help, but I'll have to see how quickly they discolour.

I'll either get used to cleaning them if I don't identify a problem that my dealer/Indian should get involved with, or switch over to black tyres when the time comes to change them.

@PearlGirl16 , the whitewalls on one of the showroom bikes I saw today in Swindon looked as though they were beginning to brown a little. I wonder if there's been a recent bad batch from Dunlop. I only noticed because I'd cleaned mine recently.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not having ridden on whitewall tyres before, I find it tricky to know just what's normal discolouration due to dust and what's not. Cleaning mine with Brillo pads - as several people on this forum recommend - seems to help, but I'll have to see how quickly they discolour.

I'll either get used to cleaning them if I don't identify a problem that my dealer/Indian should get involved with, or switch over to black tyres when the time comes to change them.

@PearlGirl16 , the whitewalls on one of the showroom bikes I saw today in Swindon looked as though they were beginning to brown a little. I wonder if there's been a recent bad batch from Dunlop. I only noticed because I'd cleaned mine recently.
Yes, apparently there is a "browning" issue with some of the Dunlop tires. Back in 2014 (as I searched and read on the forum), someone had their whitewall replaced by Dunlop themselves, so they know there is an issue, so does Indian. My questions were to find out what the mileage was when people had their tires replaced by a claim submitted by their dealer. The front tire is fine, still white. The back tire definitely has the browning issue. We were told by the dealership that the majority of the claims for browning tires have had to do with the rear tire.

I have no problem cleaning whitewalls, they are cleaned on a regular basis...we just didn't know that it's a known issue and thinking that Indian should make this information available before it's too late to have them/it replaced.

BTW, Mr Clean (or any generic) Magic Erasers clean whitewalls great! Minimal effort and they are cheap. :)

·
Rider
880 Posts
If it helps any, my Chief was built in December 2013, so presumably most of the admittedly mild discolouration I've recently cleaned off would have happened as an ageing process since then, rather than picking up road dust (she's got about 400 dry miles on the clock). I don't recall whether one tyre was more discoloured than the other, which suggests to me that they were about the same.

I've got a couple of magic erasers; thanks for the tip - I'll give them a go and see how they compare with Brillo pads. The tyre-cleaning process is ten times easier with the bike on a lift!

I hope you get the situation resolved. From the pictures I've seen on the forum, you have a very nice bike. :)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it helps any, my Chief was built in December 2013, so presumably most of the admittedly mild discolouration I've recently cleaned off would have happened as an ageing process since then, rather than picking up road dust (she's got about 400 dry miles on the clock). I don't recall whether one tyre was more discoloured than the other, which suggests to me that they were about the same.

I've got a couple of magic erasers; thanks for the tip - I'll give them a go and see how they compare with Brillo pads. The tyre-cleaning process is ten times easier with the bike on a lift!

I hope you get the situation resolved. From the pictures I've seen on the forum, you have a very nice bike. :)
Thanks! Yes, give those a try...you might like them. I dip the eraser in warn soapy water.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Sorry to hear about tires. I have had no problems with mine. I clean them with Westleys & have been using it for years.
That said I will be going to black walls as soon as I wear these out.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you have a browning tire get the code of the tire and see if others have the same problem with the batch. I got my tires switched to blackwalls at 5k and Indian stepped up and replaced the rear tire since many others from the batch had the same problem. In my case nothing would get the brown out. Good luck and check the old threads for details.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone on here had trouble with their whitewall turning brown? If so, did you file a claim? If you did file a claim, did Indian replace the tire? And if they replaced the tire, what was your mileage when they replaced it?

Sorry for all the questions, but only recently we were informed that there was a problem with whitewalls turning brown, and a claim was submitted. Indian denied the claim saying the tire was not eligible due to mileage (just under 6K.) But, if we would have known sooner, we wouldn't have had a mileage issue.

Kind of irritates me that Indian will deny a claim re: mileage when they don't bother to let you know about the issue in the first place until apparently, it's too late.

I have the same issue and noted it when I took delivery of the bike. The dealer was going to attempt to clean if for me but I haven't had time to get it back to them. I tried cleaning it myself but didn't do much good.

I found this information somewhere else and contacted Dunlop by email with photos of the tire and contacts at my dealer. David called me then next day and I have a new tire being delivered to my dealer at no charge, don't know if I'll have to pay to have it installed but at least it will be white. If you contact him include the numbers on the tire and someone to talk to at your dealership that has seen it as well as some photos. David is a a very helpful person and takes customer service very seriously. Here is the info.
David Johnson
Consumer Affairs, Motorcycle
Goodyear Dunlop Tires North America, Ltd.
200 Innovation Way, Akron, OH 44316
[email protected]

Cheers

Reactions: PearlGirl16

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,409 Posts
The rear tire on my 2015 Chief Classic has browned towards the outer edges of the whitewall, it's actually more of a tan color, and it seems impossible to remove. My bike has about 6000 on it, but the rear tire has shown some brown since about the 3000 mile mark. My front whitewall is fine so far. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it at the dealership and demand a replacement, but will crab about it when the opportunity arrises to do so. I will put nothing but wide whitewalls on my Chief Classic in the future, but I may look for an alternative brand to the OEM Dunlops when these wear out. Other than the browning problem, I'm quite pleased with the performance of these tires.

Aren't the same Dunlop American Elite wide whitewalls also used on some Harley-Davidson models? If so, are any Harley owners reporting browning problems with their tires?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issue and noted it when I took delivery of the bike. The dealer was going to attempt to clean if for me but I haven't had time to get it back to them. I tried cleaning it myself but didn't do much good.

I found this information somewhere else and contacted Dunlop by email with photos of the tire and contacts at my dealer. David called me then next day and I have a new tire being delivered to my dealer at no charge, don't know if I'll have to pay to have it installed but at least it will be white. If you contact him include the numbers on the tire and someone to talk to at your dealership that has seen it as well as some photos. David is a a very helpful person and takes customer service very seriously. Here is the info.
David Johnson
[email protected]

Cheers

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

David Johnson
[email protected]

Cheers
Thanks so much!

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Sorry to hear about tires. I have had no problems with mine. I clean them with Westleys & have been using it for years.
That said I will be going to black walls as soon as I wear these out.
View attachment 23890
I don't know how well westleys works anymore since it was sold to another company. I read that they had weakened the formula.. People complained.. Now they call it new and improved.. But that it still not the same.

I reserched products and ended up with this.
Detail Pro Wipes: Home

I use them on my Converse shoes also, that I wear in the machine shop daily.

My tires have 9,000 miles on them. I do have some browning on the drive belt side of the rear tire.. But it's been there since the bike was new.

With the spoked wheels, I get a lot of compliments on the bike. But it is the white walls that set the look off.
image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I don't know how well westleys works anymore since it was sold to another company. I read that they had weakened the formula.. People complained.. Now they call it new and improved.. But that it still I ain't the same.

I use them on my Converse shoes also, that I wear in the machine shop daily.
View attachment 23901
Yea I don't know about new formula I have one bottle left from a case I bought 8 years ago.

I see you have your motorcycle riding Converse shoes on:D

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I know I'm a retard but every time I see the title of this thread ......

When in the hell did Browning start making motorcycle tires anyway?

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Yea I don't know about new formula I have one bottle left from a case I bought 8 years ago.

I see you have your motorcycle riding Converse shoes on:D
You probably got the last of the real stuff.

Yea I had to get new riding footwear...(the shoes are leather)
Got tired of getting shit for wearing Sperry Topsiders. :confused:

·
Founding member
664 Posts
Yea I had to get new riding footwear...(the shoes are leather)
Got tired of getting shit for wearing Sperry Topsiders.
Thats why I went to Birkenstocks with Vintage fringe.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts

There whitewalls! Clean them. I use a bucket of hot water and SOS Pads. Works like a charm. Oh, and it's way easier if you raise the bike up on a jack so you can spin the wheels freely.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts