Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a pair of RCX slip-ons on their scout? Im between a pair of those and the vance/hines slip ons. The major difference i can tell so far is $200. The stock exhaust is just way to quiet and i really want to upgrade.
rcx3c-scout-slash5__15009.1458337974.900.900.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,760 Posts
I had two Harley's. Rineharts on one. RCX on the other. Both sounded nice

My wife has the 2-1 Trask exhaust on her scout. Sounds really nice but they are loud.

Someone on here is looking to sell theirs and I think they're looking for a stock set. Maybe can work out a swap

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
I have them and they sound good. Not loud when cruising but not quiet. Loud if you're idling. I do not recommend removing the baffles to make them louder. It sounds like crap

·
Bronze member
1,892 Posts
We (wife and I) have the ceramic coated RCX Slip one on our 60s.

We wanted to reduce the radiated exhaust surface temperatures and we also wanted to get better sound without going to short mufflers (grenades) as we were also installing saddlebags.

We made the BEST POSSIBLE CHOICE. And highly recommend then to anyone looking for a great sounding and premium set of mufflers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had two Harley's. Rineharts on one. RCX on the other. Both sounded nice

My wife has the 2-1 Trask exhaust on her scout. Sounds really nice but they are loud.

Someone on here is looking to sell theirs and I think they're looking for a stock set. Maybe can work out a swap
@Gypsy65: does your wife have standard or quiet baffles installed on her Trask 2-1? Considering those after hard-scraping my V & H Slashcuts when leaning into a corner. I heard some company out of AUS named Samson created “quiet baffles” for Trask 2-1; they still have an awesome roar on high idle though. What was her reason for having 2-1 installed? (Cornering performance increase would be my guess.) Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,760 Posts
@Gypsy65: does your wife have standard or quiet baffles installed on her Trask 2-1? Considering those after hard-scraping my V & H Slashcuts when leaning into a corner. I heard some company out of AUS named Samson created “quiet baffles” for Trask 2-1; they still have an awesome roar on high idle though. What was her reason for having 2-1 installed? (Cornering performance increase would be my guess.) Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She bought the showroom model. Was already set up like that
Pretty sure they're the loud as it cracks as soon as it fires

·
Registered
563 Posts
Has anyone put a pair of RCX slip-ons on their scout? Im between a pair of those and the vance/hines slip ons. The major difference i can tell so far is $200. The stock exhaust is just way to quiet and i really want to upgrade.
View attachment 290945
I've seriously been considering a RCX slip-on too...I went riding with friends and couldn't even hear what my exhaust was doing over the sound of their bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seriously been considering a RCX slip-on too...I went riding with friends and couldn't even hear what my exhaust was doing over the sound of their bikes.
The most received compliment I get on my bike is the sound of the RCX slip ons. I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I test rode a Scout last Friday that had them. I really liked the sound. No idea about the level of performance enhancement, but the sound was kick. I had never even heard of them before. They must have been good. I am buying the 'ol lady a brand new Scout. I've never bought myself a brand new sled!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We (wife and I) have the ceramic coated RCX Slip one on our 60s.

We wanted to reduce the radiated exhaust surface temperatures and we also wanted to get better sound without going to short mufflers (grenades) as we were also installing saddlebags.

We made the BEST POSSIBLE CHOICE. And highly recommend then to anyone looking for a great sounding and premium set of mufflers.
Which model did you end up getting?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The diameter of the RCX is 3 inch. Crushers are 2.5 inch. Vance and Hines are 4 inch. Scout stock mufflers look to be 4 inch. Visually the RCX is a better fit for the bike in my opinion.

·
Bronze member
1,892 Posts
The diameter of the RCX is 3 inch. Crushers are 2.5 inch. Vance and Hines are 4 inch. Scout stock mufflers look to be 4 inch. Visually the RCX is a better fit for the bike in my opinion.
After looking at several slip owns, I had to agree that the 3" RCX's did look better than the others. But my prime criteria was to reduce the radiated exhaust heat, and the fact that they looked great was the clincher.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After looking at several slip owns, I had to agree that the 3" RCX's did look better than the others. But my prime criteria was to reduce the radiated exhaust heat, and the fact that they looked great was the clincher.
Did the RCX reduce the heat? Really want to know because we've installed the exhaust shield liners, wrapped the pipes in heat wrap and installed a secondary exhaust shield and my wife still is cooking. I'm hoping getting rid of the cats will do the trick. Thanks

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
Did the RCX reduce the heat? Really want to know because we've installed the exhaust shield liners, wrapped the pipes in heat wrap and installed a secondary exhaust shield and my wife still is cooking. I'm hoping getting rid of the cats will do the trick. Thanks
Could be the headers?

·
Bronze member
1,892 Posts
Any exhaust will radiate heat while the engine is running. But to significantly reduce the exhaust heat of the Scout there are two options. The first option is to replace the muffler/cat cons with aftermarket units (RCX's, V&H's, Bassani's, Crushers, etc.). Chrome slip-on mufflers tend to radiate more heat than ceramic coated ones.
The second option is a complete custom exhaust systems as the two into one systems like the RPW"s and Bassani systems. Complete systems will require the ECM to be reflashed and/or a piggyback fuel controller which is another added expense. Complete systems need complete heat shields to be effective. And as with slip-ons, ceramic coatings will radiate less heat.
Do your homework, find what you like and talk (or maybe ride Scouts with different systems).
Good luck

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Ordered the RCX in black today. Can't wait to get them on the Bobber. I really liked the look of the Mayhem and the Radical Radius but... too loud and no O2 bungs. Slip-ons for now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got RCX on my '17 Scout. The dealer installed them before I picked the bike up. Mine had the originals on as I had to wait about 3 weeks for my ABS to be delivered from Indian. They had another bike in the showroom with the RCX's already installed, which is why I went with them. The sound is amazing and I've gotten more compliments on the exhaust note vs anything else. Definitely well worth the money IMO.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts