Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The streets of Montreal are a bit rough at this time of year but I noticed today that my windshield was rattling a fair bit. At a stop light, I reached up to shake it and one side was flopping. When I inspected it, it was missing 2 of the 5 screws - the centre one on the bottom and the top one on the left. I have 17 k km on it. Anybody else have this issue?

Len

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The streets of Montreal are a bit rough at this time of year but I noticed today that my windshield was rattling a fair bit. At a stop light, I reached up to shake it and one side was flopping. When I inspected it, it was missing 2 of the 5 screws - the centre one on the bottom and the top one on the left. I have 17 k km on it. Anybody else have this issue?

Len
Who did your set-up on delivery ? Is it a stock windshield or a add on ? If add on who installed it ? The answer to those questions will tell you everything !

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I took my bike on a 2000 mile trip from NH to SD. (it had only 3000 miles when i started). when i got there the windshield rattled. during the 5 K service they tightened it up for free and put a little loctite on it. no problem after that.
I have 14k on now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who did your set-up on delivery ? Is it a stock windshield or a add on ? If add on who installed it ? The answer to those questions will tell you everything !

Original from the dealer. I'll go back for warranty and ask for a bit of Locktite this time.

Does rattly have an "e"?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does rattly have an "e"?

Only in the U.S.

In Canada, they have an “a” (eh?).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, listen eh. Here is some Canadiana for y'all.

That windshield sure rattles, eh? - "don't you agree"
Don't you think that windshield rattles a lot, eh? - "pointing it out"
Eh bien! - French for "Well now!"
Listen up, eh! - "pay attention"

Not as versatile as **** but pretty good.

Len

·
Rider
634 Posts
Give TinIndian a shout. He has a kit to solve all your windshield rattles after you get your replacement bolts and nuts...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it is still under warranty take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. Mine was a rattle machine. Had them take a look and they found the mechanism cracked and some of the bushings/spacers broken. It is a known issue with some of the windshields. Search "fairing rattle" in this forum and you'll find others discussing it. I can also tell you mine sounded like it was coming from the left side.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well, listen eh. Here is some Canadiana for y'all.

That windshield sure rattles, eh? - "don't you agree"
Don't you think that windshield rattles a lot, eh? - "pointing it out"
Eh bien! - French for "Well now!"
Listen up, eh! - "pay attention"

Not as versatile as **** but pretty good.

Len
No mine doesn't rattle and I even put on the flip windshield from Indian/ Klockworks. Not sure why you lost the screws holding yours I have had 3 Chieftain's and have yet to loose even one " that includes the one that was totalled and rolling like a log down the road lol". Somebody obviously screwed up and never tightened them. Luckily it's a easy fix .

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine raffles very slightly when not in the lowest position. I haven’t taken it in for this, but wonder if they would give me grief for not having a stock windshield?

It only started rattling about 500 miles ago. Have 12,500 miles on it now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine raffles very slightly when not in the lowest position. I haven’t taken it in for this, but wonder if they would give me grief for not having a stock windshield?

It only started rattling about 500 miles ago. Have 12,500 miles on it now.

Mine was also in the lowest position when it was loudest, lighter when raised. I'd certainly give it a shot, especially if it seems like it's deeper in the fairing and louder on the clutch side. The factory is aware it's the mechanism and not the glass itself so don't think they'd give you much grief.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine rattles when all the way up. None all the way down. Noticed a couple thousand miles ago. Gonna have to look into now...

·
Rider
634 Posts
tinIndian, he da bomb

Get you one of his kits, no more rattle......

·
Rider
634 Posts
Two pivot point bolts have rubber gasket that wears out causing slop. These are replace by wavy spring steel washers to stop any freeplay in this spot.
There are also spring steel shims that are placed at bottom of worm gear drive to stop play in that area.
Do a youtube video search for Indian Windshield Rattle....
Well here...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No mine doesn't rattle and I even put on the flip windshield from Indian/ Klockworks. Not sure why you lost the screws holding yours I have had 3 Chieftain's and have yet to loose even one " that includes the one that was totalled and rolling like a log down the road lol". Somebody obviously screwed up and never tightened them. Luckily it's a easy fix .

Sitting at the dealer now having it fixed. Told them to Locktite the bunch of them. I agree that someone must have forgotten to tighten them.

·
Bronze member
1,617 Posts
Sitting at the dealer now having it fixed. Told them to Locktite the bunch of them. I agree that someone must have forgotten to tighten them.
Curious to see what they do to "fix" the problem. Metro Milwaukee had a primitive fix but now stock my shim kit.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TinIndians kit fixed my problem, works great.
Mine is not a rattly windshield problem. Should have maybe used another title. When all the screws were in it, it worked fine. I expect be back to normal by just putting the screws back in. Headed for a 200 km ride after this so I'll know pretty quickly.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious to see what they do to "fix" the problem. Metro Milwaukee had a primitive fix but now stock my shim kit.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Can you send me the info about your kit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts