Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How do you rate your Scout on a scale of 1 to 10 (1=worst, 10=best)?

• 1. This thing is the worst piece of crap ever made!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2. It has 2 wheels and goes ... sort of.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. My 1968 Schwinn handled better than this bike.

• 4. I've ridden Briggs & Stratton powered mini-bikes that had more power than this thing.

• 5. I want my Sportster back.

• 6. It's got some pep, but it's not all it was made out to be.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 7. I waited 5 months for this. I'm determined to liek it!

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 8. Great lines, good hadnling, but it needs a little something more.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • 9. I'm gonna take it on the twisties every day until it breaks!

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • 10. The only way this bike could be better is for Bert Munro to mod it into a world record setter.

Votes: 18 25.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on guys and gals. We've waited long enough. Some of you are still waiting. Once you finally got (get) your Scout and have cruised around on it awhile, taken it out and tortured the crap out of it, scraped the pegs off, etc. what do you think? Is it the bike you wanted?

Sorry about the typos - I was Russian ...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Come on guys and gals. We've waited long enough. Some of you are still waiting. Once you finally got (get) your Scout and have cruised around on it awhile, taken it out and tortured the crap out of it, scraped the pegs off, etc. what do you think? Is it the bike you wanted?

I have owned a few bikes, this one is the best I have owned. Only 150 miles on it and it is a keeper. Riding is what it is about and it rides spectacularly...fast, light, tears into the corners and holds, cannot wait for some warmer weather for a long trip

Reactions: taboothe

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Can of worms

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Was tempted to go with 9 but every Bike I ever owned always needs a little more .. Will Just Sum it up by saying Quite Pleased at 600+ Miles .. If the weather cooperates today probably be 700 ..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Jay: Is that not a neutral indicator light in your pic? I didn't think they were going to have that. Or are you heading North? If so stop by and see me in Indiana.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The Scout is a totally different bike for me - only cruiser I've ever owned. It's difficult for me to rate on your specific numeric scale but suffice it to say I LOVE it and it is a keeper and it's definitely a very high number! I can't imagine it as my only bike but I can tell already that I'm going to be using it even more than I expected. I've only had it since 12/20/14 and only have 105 miles on it and they've all been in 35 degree and lower temps and now it's rained the last 2 days. But despite the cold, I actually found myself LOL a few times as I was leaned over in some sweepers. I found myself thinking, "Man, if I'm having this much fun in the cold in winter gear, think about the great times in good weather"! :cool:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aw dang ... I was hoping it would die a quiet death and take my typos with it ... ;)

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
It is what it is at the price point we bought it - every nickel you spend on your scout after acquisition should take care of any deficiencies and propel your scout into the hall of legendary rides. It is a cruiser!
Indian could have easily built this bike at 20 K$$ but their mkt would have shrunk to a point where sales didn't match their investment. I'm lovin my Scout and the aftermarket is gonna love my $$$$$.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Coming from a Triumph America.... My Scout is everything I could have wanted!!!!! Fast, nimble, well balanced, power to spare, comfortable, a classic, and...... Not a Harley. :) she always puts a smile on my face, whether I'm out riding or just staring at her in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like it a lot. Broke 1000 miles today but will probably need a few thousand more before I declare it the best bike I have ever owned. I liked my 84 Honda manga so much I put almost 90000 miles on it and when I finally gave it away in 2001 it almost made me cry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like it a lot. Broke 1000 miles today but will probably need a few thousand more before I declare it the best bike I have ever owned. I liked my 84 Honda manga so much I put almost 90000 miles on it and when I finally gave it away in 2001 it almost made me cry.
I hear ya. I have an 86 Magna as my most recent comparison, before that was a 78 Suzuki SP370. There is really no comparison in the handling and most of the ergos, but I think I liked the handlebar shape of the Honda slightly more for the way the bike was set up (I may change to a set of reduced reach bars, I think that would help my comfort factor), and I darn sure won't be taking this machine off road into the sticks to thrash it the way I used to that old SP. if forced to choose between the Honda and the SP, I am masachistic enough I'd actually choose the SP, but I would not trade the Scout for either (or both) of them.

Reactions: Jack Cactus

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Currently the second-place vote getter is "but it needs a little something more." Not having my bike, yet, I'm curious to know what some of you feel the "little something more" is?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Currently the second-place vote getter is "but it needs a little something more." Not having my bike, yet, I'm curious to know what some of you feel the "little something more" is?
They could have put better suspension on it it - rear shocks can be a little on the harsh side, especially two-up, and I think the front forks could be better as well. Not that they are bad for a stock setup, but I feel bumps that I think they ought to be able to handle better. with few more miles, I will probably be adding the seat foam to that short list - makes my butt go numb after 50 miles, and it ought to last as least as long as a tank of gas does. The seat can be corrected with a relatively minor investment. Shocks and forks on the other hand... There we are talking some real $$$$$...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts