Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Are you happy with a Scout as a first bike?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELL YES!!!

Votes: 15 60.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Indian Scout is my first bike. Ever. I wrestled with the common recommendation to get a little used bike to thrash and trash but I really wasn’t interested in anything but the Scout. So I dove right in and it has been a great experience. So far so good. “No regerts“
I notice a lot of folks on this forum got a Scout or Scout Bobber as their first bike. My questions to you are:
1. Are you happy you got a Scout as your first bike?
2. Do you have any “regerts”
3. Would you recommend the Scout as a first bike for a new rider?
4. If the Scout is not your first bike, would you be happier if it was?

(Unfortunately I am not sophisticated enough to figure out how to add multiple questions to the poll but feel free to elaborate)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, ok... so the Scout isn’t my first bike. It’s my second one. But there were a number of years between those bikes, so it almost counts as my first.

Anyways... very happy with the Scout, and I’d recommend to anyone to consider it, whether it’s their first or third or tenth.

In the end, though, everyone ought to ride their own ride, based on whatever floats their own boat, and not what others tell them to ride.

But Hell Yeah for me on my Scout!

·
Rider
600 Posts
I started on a scout, went bigger for a couple of years, and now I'm back. The scout is just too much fun. Easy going and controllable when you want to it be, ballsy as hell when you need it to be.

·
Silver member
3,698 Posts
My 2016 Scout 60 has been a great second bike. Also have a little Yamaha XV 250 which can actually be a lot of fun and the Guzzi California 1400 since October. 2022 FTR next?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Indian Scout is my first bike. Ever. I wrestled with the common recommendation to get a little used bike to thrash and trash but I really wasn’t interested in anything but the Scout. So I dove right in and it has been a great experience. So far so good. “No regerts“
I notice a lot of folks on this forum got a Scout or Scout Bobber as their first bike. My questions to you are:
1. Are you happy you got a Scout as your first bike?
2. Do you have any “regerts”
3. Would you recommend the Scout as a first bike for a new rider?
4. If the Scout is not your first bike, would you be happier if it was?

(Unfortunately I am not sophisticated enough to figure out how to add multiple questions to the poll but feel free to elaborate)
1. Couldn’t be happier
2. None, except perhaps to have maybe got a street bike sooner. Then again older scouts had more issues and I think I hit it just right with my 2017. Oh, and I didn’t know beforehand that doing mods would get so damn addicting.
3. I think it depends on the rider and their attitude. I grew up on dirt bikes and trail bikes, but took it very easy at first with my s60 and took several safety classes as well. Almost 4 years later I’m one with my bike, but still try to stay humble and not get overconfident. The scout can definitely get you in trouble in the upper rpms if your not paying attention.
4. My first street bike and probably my last unless something catastrophic happens (hope not). I‘m very methodical in my choices and when I get something I like I stay with it rather than chase the next shiny thing. Guess that summed up my marriage too haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At 71 years old I decided I needed a motorcycle. I did a lot of research and decided on a very low mileage Scout for my first bike. That was a little over a year ago. Since then I put on almost 6000 mile with a 1000 mile week long trip in that time. The Scout was a perfect platform for me to learn how to handle a motorcycle. Two months ago I found a very low mileage Chief Vintage and jumped on it. Now I feel I have the ability and confidence to take longer trips. The Scout is a great learning tool.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
98 Posts
Scout was my first. I rode it briefly at my dealer and bought it. I was totally intimidated starting out - it seemed huge, and I was terrified I’d accidentally gun the throttle and the bike would flip out from underneath me. Then I had it delivered. 😂

I spent 5 days in a parking lot across the street doing nothing but practicing friction zone, braking, low speed maneuvering/making lots u-turns. There was only one area in the parking lot where I could just get it going fast enough to shift into 2nd! After several days the gas light came on, so I had to ride on big boy roads (this is, obviously, before I came to realize I the gas gauge came on with 1 full gallon to spare). From there I was off into neighborhood roads every day for several days, and by the 8th or 9th day in total on the bike I was riding towards my place, saw a freeway entrance, and decided I was ready...off I went 55 mph alongside cars and trucks, and I never looked back!

I thought it was a great first bike for me. It has plenty of torque and horsepower, and on that note, it’s more about the rider than the bike. If someone’s comfortable being smart about the throttle - learning it, easing into it, etc - they wouldn’t have a problem, and once they’re really riding they’ll be completely rewarded!

The Scout will always be my favorite. It’s beautiful. It still gets me excited just looking at it, even now when I have a bright red Challenger parked in my garage.

Hopefully you feel like you made the right choice! 😉

·
Bronze member
1,136 Posts
It’s my second bike technically. Only regret is that I wasted time on another bike, this should have been my first!!

·
Registered
Dark Horse
286 Posts
First street bike for me, love it. However, it bothers me that it’s a Sixty for some reason. Bought it because it was cheaper and the standard Scout colors weren’t as nice.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I almost went with a 60 at the sales rep suggestion for a first bike but I liked the color on the Scout ABS. What bothers you about it? Do you miss the 5th gear?

·
Registered
332 Posts
DMV Solorider's said everything I was going to say.
The Scout is an awesome first bike. It's got a lot of power, but it's manageable. Unless you're really stupid, it's not going to ride out from between your legs. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Scout is my first bike and I have few complaints. It has enough power to handle most situations but not too much in the lower rpms to get away from a new rider unless they try really hard. The only complaint I have is the small gas tank because I do like to take longer trips. For most, this probably doesn't matter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
.....oh, and i forgot to mention the weight. Light for a cruiser and feels even lighter with the weight being so low.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just that it's the baby Scout. Not a big deal.
Interesting take. Dimensionally they are the same. Rumor has it with a tune the 60 can put out more power than the standard due do to higher compression ratios or something. Not sure how true that is.

I liked the 60 better because the engine was fully blacked out and everything else was close enough to not matter.

·
Registered
Dark Horse
286 Posts
Interesting take. Dimensionally they are the same. Rumor has it with a tune the 60 can put out more power than the standard due do to higher compression ratios or something. Not sure how true that is.

I liked the 60 better because the engine was fully blacked out and everything else was close enough to not matter.
The engine does look better. Absolutely.
I love my bike, don’t get me wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts