Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out cruising the other day with my Wife, on her Bobber and my buddy on his 40K Harley-Davison something-glide (I honestly don't know what model it is) so we plan a short trip from NY to Norwalk, CT. Everyone always makes me go first, which I don't mind, but just once I would like to not have all that responsibility.

So I initally wanted to go to Calimoto.com and plan the route out on that website and export it into R.C. but, I ran out of time because 'real life' came up. I figured a 1.5 hour trip, how bad could the NAV mess up?

Two one way streets. Two Dead ends. Two dirt roads later. 1.5 hours turned into almost 3.

My buddy with his 40k 2018 H-D asks "Your bike doesn't have Apple CarPlay? Mine does!" My response: "Well you should go first and I didn't want to wait for the 2020 model year to come out!" Still, either way you slice it, it's frustrating AND embarrassing.

So moral of the story; use Google Maps or Calimoto and import your ride into the R.C. software, don't rely on the NAV built in.

Before anyone asks, yes I have the most current up to date download on the system.

·
Silver member
5,305 Posts
I don't even know why they bother with the Nav, both cars and motorcycles, except to have the ability to store successful routes. At this point, it seems more practical if you could just use your google map set-up and mirror your phone to the screen or something to that affect so you could see the screen in a larger format...

·
Registered
18 Posts
You just described android auto... And I feel you... I just got my nav installed and I took it for a ride about 20 minutes away to test it out. Luckily I knew exactly where I was going...but the nav literally started me going the wrong direction, tried to get me to take back roads for 20 miles and then had me do a giant loop around the city instead of making a left turn. I've never seen GPS so wonky... I'm contemplating buying a cheap old iphone just to keep on the bike for carplay until they update for android auto.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
840 Posts
I find RC very frustrating. I'm considering mounting my old Garmin 450/550 on the Challenger.

Reactions: RiderRoy

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have a 2019 RM and the nav works extremely well. I’ve used it all over Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. I usually plot my own routes to hunt the wiggly roads, but when I’m just point a to b in the nav it works perfectly. Something seems fishy. Plenty of dirt roads around here too and it knows it. They’re brown on screen and it avoids them.

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Registered
199 Posts
Now I have a 2020 Roadmaster and have found if you set it to avoid highway tolls and dirt it does a very nice job routing a nice trip. Even scenic choices come up for a route options. Avoids going through towns due to traffic overlay. Not saying it’s perfect without mistakes, no GPS is. It is as good as my Tom Tom Rider GPS on my previous bike.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My wife and I have 17's, love RideCommand, works great. Better than any Garmin at loading complicated routes. And Harley's system was really bad before the updates for 19 or 20, so they HAD to offer carplay. As for importing from Google, don't think anything can do it as they use their own file system instead of gpx.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Avoid "Dirt Road"? That must be an update to the 2020. I've only got "Avoid HGWYS / Avoid Tolls / Fastest / Shortest"

So you've got CarPlay and you also have more options to choose from when planning a route. Nice. I knew I should have waited for the 2020 - I just didn't want to wait any longer. They kept teasing and teasing the Challenger and I got sick of it.

Now I have a 2020 Roadmaster and have found if you set it to avoid highway tolls and dirt it does a very nice job routing a nice trip. Even scenic choices come up for a route options. Avoids going through towns due to traffic overlay. Not saying it’s perfect without mistakes, no GPS is. It is as good as my Tom Tom Rider GPS on my previous bike.

I've exported from Google Maps and that Calimoto website and imported into RC without issue. In fact, on the RC website there is a button now for Import. It used to be a convoluted mess to get any sort of file to import but now I think, Indian has realized what a mess it's NAV is and allowed all sorts of files to be imported. You then just have to in there and delete the 30000 waypoints it automatically populates when importing.
Primarily I use Calimoto for the route, check it against Google Maps and then import into the RC website and 'clean it up'. That's for long (4+ hr trips) I figured for a measly 1.5hr drive it should have had no problem on it's own.... how wrong I was.

My wife and I have 17's, love RideCommand, works great. Better than any Garmin at loading complicated routes. And Harley's system was really bad before the updates for 19 or 20, so they HAD to offer carplay. As for importing from Google, don't think anything can do it as they use their own file system instead of gpx.

·
Rider
768 Posts
That's the 1st thing I thought of when he mentioned dirt roads, setting avoidances. About a year ago, my brother called me from I-95 complaining that the Garmin I loaned him sucks because it kept taking him off I-95 onto side roads. He had 'avoid highways' set and once he cleared it, smooth sailing to Estero FL.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Never had an real issue with my 2018 bikes ride command Nav, but with any GPS map system, you still kind of need to know the big picture of where your going or even with google maps you will find yourself down a dead end road or get routed to a dirt road. I really like the update to ride command software that now allows a real route plan to developed and imported without all the goofy waypoints needed in the previous version.

I also use google maps as a backup sometimes as I have a Bluetooth set of earplugs and listen to google tell me the directions...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the on-line Ride Command absolutely sucks. I use Garmin Base Camp to plan the ride, then export the GPX to the USB thumb drive then load it into the Chieftain.
Sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. There's no reason the on-line Ride Command should suck so bad. Are you listening Polaris?

The Ride Command on the Chieftain works well for me for day trips. The options seem to work well, and the Scenic Ride gives a good route.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I WAS using Rever to create routes, exporting them to RC online, then onto the bike. Or, directly to the bike via USB. BUT, something happened that causes the bike to reject any gpx files other than those generated by Indian's RC web site. Considering how easy the new Rever app creates routes, and good ones if you like twisty roads, the RC pales.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I WAS using Rever to create routes, exporting them to RC online, then onto the bike. Or, directly to the bike via USB. BUT, something happened that causes the bike to reject any gpx files other than those generated by Indian's RC web site. Considering how easy the new Rever app creates routes, and good ones if you like twisty roads, the RC pales.
You have to export the REVER .gpx and run it though the RC website for it to work. If I am making a REVER route for a ride with friends, I make the ride in RC and port it to REVER, which seems to work better.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Lol.

The Nav system on my Scout works fantastic!! Always has.

Oh, yeah, it's my phone......

Just read a review of these stupid things and they rated phone nav better than any factory nav out there.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
You have to export the REVER .gpx and run it though the RC website for it to work. If I am making a REVER route for a ride with friends, I make the ride in RC and port it to REVER, which seems to work better.
Yes. You are correct. And, I do exactly that procedure today. However, at the time of my previous post, a Rever GPX file could be directly imported to the bike. I did several. Then, something changed. I don't know what. That is the problem using web based software. When a change occurs, nobody knows when it happens. So, it is difficult to contact the developer with feedback. I would assume Rever changed something. However, Polaris pushed out an update about the same time frame. And, of course, the Ride Command web site changes like the wind too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So out cruising the other day with my Wife, on her Bobber and my buddy on his 40K Harley-Davison something-glide (I honestly don't know what model it is) so we plan a short trip from NY to Norwalk, CT. Everyone always makes me go first, which I don't mind, but just once I would like to not have all that responsibility.

So I initally wanted to go to Calimoto.com and plan the route out on that website and export it into R.C. but, I ran out of time because 'real life' came up. I figured a 1.5 hour trip, how bad could the NAV mess up?

Two one way streets. Two Dead ends. Two dirt roads later. 1.5 hours turned into almost 3.

My buddy with his 40k 2018 H-D asks "Your bike doesn't have Apple CarPlay? Mine does!" My response: "Well you should go first and I didn't want to wait for the 2020 model year to come out!" Still, either way you slice it, it's frustrating AND embarrassing.

So moral of the story; use Google Maps or Calimoto and import your ride into the R.C. software, don't rely on the NAV built in.

Before anyone asks, yes I have the most current up to date download on the system.
My experience with RC is just like yours. I use Garmin Express and then download to RC, but even then, RC can mess things up. VERY frustrating.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
My experience with RC is just like yours. I use Garmin Express and then download to RC, but even then, RC can mess things up. VERY frustrating.
YES!
It would be nice if Polaris would just accept a GPX formatted file directed on the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts