Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it all in my head?? My 111 ran so much more quiet with no clacking to be found when I ran her on the high octane ethanol free gas. Had a bit more power too,,,,

·
Registered
360 Posts
I experienced better mileage and performance with ethanol free fuel. My range indication seemed to be making fuel the further I drove. The number just kept getting bigger. Ethanol free has a higher BTU rating.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
IMO, it's all in your head. Now let someone else fill the tank without you knowing what's in it a few times and see if you can tell high $$ gas from regular. Or you can just do what you want and have that "feel good" feeling if it's worth the $$.

·
165 Posts
As long as the octane rating is 91 or higher ethanol free is best but most ethanol free in my state is only 88 octane and under load the 111 will ping or knock. Be careful what you are buying.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I know for certain what happens with less than 91 octane... lots of stumbling and pre-ignition problems. Worst on higher compression 116 and on Challenger. Beyond that, no empirical data to share.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as the octane rating is 91 or higher ethanol free is best but most ethanol free in my state is only 88 octane and under load the 111 will ping or knock. Be careful what you are buying.
It’s 91 octane, which is all I ever use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recently found two stations that sell 91 Octane Ethanol free gasoline and did notice a difference in MPG (further) and response from my 19 SF DH. This website is great for finding gas stations that sell Ethanol free gasoline.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
I recently found two stations that sell 91 Octane Ethanol free gasoline and did notice a difference in MPG (further) and response from my 19 SF DH. This website is great for finding gas stations that sell Ethanol free gasoline.

While mileage can be measured (over time with many tankfuls since conditions/roads/wind/temperature/speed can all impact the calculation), I'm curious how you measured the change in response?

·
Registered
360 Posts
My experience was purely represented by the onboard calculation of the range. As I drove my range got further and further. Going up into the 230ish range. The more I drove the larger that number grew. Of course as you mentioned many factors can impact that. I was out of texas and I was in the hills of arkansas. So altitude could have been a factor. But that was what I saw. I never calculated the miles per tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
While mileage can be measured (over time with many tankfuls since conditions/roads/wind/temperature/speed can all impact the calculation), I'm curious how you measured the change in response?
Jayred 1,

Your question is valid and cannot state that I utilized an empirical method that provides empirical evidence showing the difference in results from Ethanol free 91 Octane vs 10% Ethanol gasoline octane at 93. What I can state via my personal riding habits and the feel of my bike, I do feel a better response since I switched. But, I may have inadvertently fallen under a placebo effect and possibly not have any actual difference in performance. But I do "Feel" that I have better response due to my riding habits and the many miles I have ridden my bike to feel a difference.

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
Is it all in my head?? My 111 ran so much more quiet with no clacking to be found when I ran her on the high octane ethanol free gas. Had a bit more power too,,,,
Maybe it's all in your head, maybe not. More power?... maybe a little, but prolly not at all measurable. I always fill up with 91 octane eth free and my '15 Vintage always runs like a top. I did fill up with 87 with 10% corn on one occasion (had to) and there was some minor pinging from time to time going up hills. Went down a gear to build the RPMs and the pinging ceased. Overall my Vintage likes 91 eth free better, regardless of what the experts say :giggle:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had this question years ago with my Hemi. Turns out the improved mileage "better gas" was negated with the higher cost. So now I just run with what is convenient at the time of fill up. The savings are not worth worring about.

Reactions: jayred1

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ethanol free gas is only available at two places within 20 miles from here. I usually put premium due to availability but if I have a choice I will always buy ethanol free. I have seen what ethanol does to lawn equipment and other small engines. I dont want it in my bike if i have a choice. The mpg is so good i dont care about the difference in cost. I think the bike runs better on it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Morning Folks,
The list of problems created by polluting our gasoline with ethanol is long and includes reduced power as well as corrosion in the fuel system caused by ethanol's tendency to absorb water. Ethanol adulterated fuel starts to separate and cause problems in as little as two months if a vehicle is left to sit, and the problems are worse for older vehicles not designed for ethanol fuel. Given that we are currently awash in petroleum it makes no sense to pollute our gasoline with ethanol. Of course, the Federal requirement to do so is popular with corn farmers...
--- Randall

1 - 20 of 51 Posts